OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WDS with same SSID as master

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I have a couple of devices running AR9331 (and some others running atheros QCA9533-AL3A) and I would like to extend the wifi signal using WDS. I've read that as long as devices are same manufacturer (exact chipset?) I can set up WDS which would nicely bind the devices network on Layer 2. The only concern I have is: can I set same SSID and password (same as master-WDS they are connecting to) for all client-WDS devices to benefit from wifi-clients' roaming capabilities? Won't this brake something?

Perhaps this might pose problems in multiple WDS-clients scenario but might work in one master - one repeater scenario?

(Last edited by nobody2600 on 25 Jul 2016, 22:53)

We use WDS in that config.

The master and the "repeater" both have the exact same SSID, security, and password, and devices will roam from one to the other.  Although the "roaming" is mostly a function of the client device.  Some do it better then others.

Everything works as it should, and all clients on both devices can see each other, and access the internet via the master.

The discussion might have continued from here.