OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Google Fiber setup

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have Google Fiber. I'm trying to connect my router directly to the ONT, rather than using the stock network box (it's really loud). Unfortunately, while they've made this very straightforward for business subscribers, it's not at all easy to do on home networks.

I have never installed 3rd party router firmware before, and I have an Archer C7, so it was tricky, but I've finally got the latest openwrt firmware on it.

I don't see how to configure what I need in the GUI, so I guess I'll need to edit some config files via SSH. Problem is, I don't fully understand what's required. I've googled, and read a few posts on how people did what I want to do, but the guides are very specific to their hardware/software. I've heard it can be done with OpenWrt, but I don't know how to generalize their information enough to do it.

Can I get some help? Links to people's explanations below:
http://flyovercountry.org/2014/02/googl … t-1-vlans/
http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2015/1 … uter-lite/

(Last edited by morgvanny on 18 Jul 2016, 11:47)

morgvanny wrote:

I have Google Fiber. I'm trying to connect my router directly to the ONT, rather than using the stock network box (it's really loud).

I don't have Google Fiber service, so I don't know what you meant the box is really loud. Does the box emit humming sounds?

The Archer C7 won't be able to do NAT for Gigabit Internet speeds.

So most likely you won't be able to reach full Internet Speeds @ Google Fiber using this setup.

(Last edited by freezer2k on 18 Jul 2016, 12:50)

mazilo wrote:
morgvanny wrote:

I have Google Fiber. I'm trying to connect my router directly to the ONT, rather than using the stock network box (it's really loud).

I don't have Google Fiber service, so I don't know what you meant the box is really loud. Does the box emit humming sounds?

It just gets really warm, and has a very loud fan. also the wifi coverage is really pretty spotty, especially for a small apartment. these are common complaints, among other things, about the stock google routers.

Also, now that I'm listening more closely, there definitely is a hum.  I built my PC and the processor and GPU are overclocked, and this router is still by far the loudest thing at my desk, even while gaming. I want it gone so badly.

(Last edited by morgvanny on 18 Jul 2016, 17:16)

freezer2k wrote:

The Archer C7 won't be able to do NAT for Gigabit Internet speeds.

So most likely you won't be able to reach full Internet Speeds @ Google Fiber using this setup.

I'm on a cheaper plan that's only 100mbps. It's only my wife and I, so we'd struggle to use more than that anyway.
Also, the Fiber network box antenna caps wifi speeds at 100mbps anyway - it's awful. Fiber speeds are great, but only if it's wired. They saddle you with terrible hardware, and basically try to force you to use it.

I could always double NAT and use my router, but I'm pretty sure that kind of setup is unsafe if I want to set up my own VPN. Plus that doesn't solve the noise issue.

(Last edited by morgvanny on 18 Jul 2016, 16:45)

morgvanny wrote:
mazilo wrote:
morgvanny wrote:

It just gets really warm, and has a very loud fan. also the wifi coverage is really pretty spotty, especially for a small apartment. these are common complaints, among other things, about the stock google routers.

Like I said before, I don't have Google Fiber. So, I don't know much about this device. But, it sure is a very interesting thing to know that the Google Fiber device has a built-in fan.

mazilo wrote:
morgvanny wrote:
mazilo wrote:

Like I said before, I don't have Google Fiber. So, I don't know much about this device. But, it sure is a very interesting thing to know that the Google Fiber device has a built-in fan.

Built-in fan, and it still gets pretty warm. And it's not even an AC router. What a piece of junk.
I have a friend who figured out how to take it out of the chain, but I'm pretty sure he has DD-WRT. That has pretty limited compatibility with the Archer C7 - the 5GHz band doesn't work. I figure there has to be a way to do it with this, but I don't know how to generalize the info from those posts I linked to.

I found a more general explanation here, but I'm not sure how/if I can successfully implement this on my router. http://pastebin.com/dWABB4ih

Some people say you need a switch, which can do most of the work, and not make the router's cpu go crazy trying to tag everything. Others say it can be done with just a router. I don't really know.

morgvanny wrote:

Built-in fan, and it still gets pretty warm. And it's not even an AC router. What a piece of junk.

I wished Google Fiber will extend in my neighborhood.

mazilo wrote:
morgvanny wrote:

I wished Google Fiber will extend in my neighborhood.

haha well don't get me wrong - the fast reliable Internet is great. but the network box is very limiting, and annoying.

this guy said he got it working just how I want it, but I don't totally follow how he did it. I need help making sure I don't break anything when trying to do this https://productforums.google.com/forum/ … vXp4aUxvIJ

The discussion might have continued from here.