OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Set printer to allow only router connected devices

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I'm trying to set my printer to only allow access to computers that are connected to the network. My printer is connected directly to the router. All the computers in the office has the same subnet. However, I know that there is a range from 0-255. I want to only allow my office computers to have access to the printer and no one else. How would I do that?

I'm thinking it would be something that allow devices connected to the routher through ethernet or WiFi to be able to access the printer. But how would I set that?

Thank you for your time.

Sorry, but I think you should be more specific about how is your network configured and what are you trying to achieve.

Hello,

My office computers are on the subnet of 192.168.1, my printer is also on the same subnet. However, I know that other offices in the building is also on the same subnet. I would like to limit access to the printer for only my office computers. How would I do that?

Thank you for your time.

well you can just isolate your office computers to a separate subnet, while others is on another subnet

or

if youre printer is connected via USB and using a cups to share the printer over the network, you can actually put a iptables rule to allow only certain MAC addresses or IP range or selected IPs to only access the shared printer.

I'm a bit confused, are you saying that the "other offices" are connected to your router?
If not, there's no problem as the 192.168.1 subnets are local to each router.

Hello,

The other offices are connected together via Ethernet. My router is password protected so I don't have to worry about that. However, I work at a college campus so the other offices in the building are connected to the same college network. I want to limit the Ethernet access to only those in my office.

Please let me know if this is not clear.

No, it is unclear.

Perhaps:

campus (WAN) > building (LAN / single subnet)
                                    V
                                    |
                                    > office_0 > AP > (networked printer)
                                    |
                                    |
                                    > office_1 > AP

Is the requirement to restrict printer access to the STAs associated with 'office_0'?

Hello,

My office computers get a 192.168 ip address. The other offices also get a 192.168 ip address. Therefore, if they wanted to, they could just add my printer to their computer using the ip address or even detect the printer automatically. That's why I want to prevent the other offices from accessing my printer on 192.168.112.73.

Is there a way to do this on the router?

Do you understand the Internet Protocol term 'subnet'?

Be so kind to use the primative schema and enhance it with the DHCP server(s), IP address range(s) and subnet mask(s).

The discussion might have continued from here.