OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [Resolved ]Load balance 2 DSL routers using a MR3420 v2.3 1 wan, 4 lan

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I would like to install open-WRT on a router MR3420  v 2.3 and want to know if it can act as Load balancer for 2 DSL routers below. but I am not sure if openWRT will solve the following use-case

I have two DSL connections providing internet

1 - Unreliable - 4MB (Router has 4 LAN and 1 WAN ports )
2 - Reliable but only 2MB (This router has only 2 LAN ports available)

And an extra 3rd router (4 LANS , 1 WAN,  MR3420 v 2.3) on which I want to install openwrt and use it as a load balancing router for the above DSL routers so that I can smoothly browse internet without switching WiFi frequently.

Question:
MR3420  has only one WAN port and my assumption is it should have 2 WAN ports to support the two DSL connections above? am I right ? or Can I plug the cables from the DSL routers into the LAN ports of the 3rd router and yet use it as Load balancing router using openWRT ?

(Last edited by code.compile.link on 19 Jul 2016, 17:37)

I have resolved it, after some experimentation.

Open WRT version:
I used the version release version OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530) after install there was roughly 480KB space left on it, enough for luci-app-multiwan3 and dependencies.

The latest version 15.0 did not leave enough space 240KB only  not enough for mwan3 packges.

Following solutions are possible tested with MR3420 v2.3

MR3420 v2.3 has 1 WAN 4 LAN and 1 USB (haven't used USB in this solution)

Solution1,
a, LAN port from 1st DSL can be connected with the WAN port of the router.
b Now there are 4 LAN ports left.
-> LAN ports can be converted to WAN ports in open wrt if the router supports VLAN, the given router does support VLAN and therefore following configuration is required.

go to Network -> Switch -> Enable VLAN functionality should be marked true,

In the section

VLANs on "switch0" (AR934X built-in switch)
By default there is one row there

Port Id = 1 and all other columns are marked untagged. like this

VLAN ID,    CPU,    Port 1    Port 2    Port 3    Port 4
1 , UT, UT, UT,UT, UT

I changed the configs like this
1 , TAG,  UT,   OFF, UT,   UT
1 , TAG,  OFF, UT,   OFF, OFF

Now Before applying changes
At this time make sure you can access router via WIFI as well, otherwise I believe it is possible you may loose access to router via the LAN ports in case there is any misconfiguration.

Apply changes and reboot,

Now the port next to blue WAN port is also acting as WAN port identity is VLAN Interface: "eth1.2"

also eth1.1 represents remaining 3 ports and is now acting as LAN

Go to Networks - > Interface,
Attach LAN to eth 1.1 , previously it is likely to be attached to eth1 , which is no longer valid LAN because we created VLAN now, so LAN interface should now be attached to eth1.1, all 3 LAN ports can be used now seperately from eth1.2

crate a WAN2 interface and attached it to eth 1.2 and do not associate DHCIP with it, instead use DHCP client as the protocol for this interface.

Important*order of the ports number does not match sequence shown in open wrt but can be test by connecting LAN cable and open wrt will indicated which number is connected

Same is probably doable in other routers with VLAN support.

The second solution without converting LAN port to WAN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We can attach wifi as a DHCP client to another wifi whose internet we want to use.

Network-> WIFI -> Scan and then provide credentials to connect to the hotspot , while configuring attach it as DHCP client.

This will also create an interface with it.

Use the built in WAN port the LAN port of the internet source/DSL.

Now we have two WAN interfaces.

This approach however requires us to use internat via LAN port of the MR3420 v2.3 , to use it as wifi we can connect any other wifi router and attach their WAN port to the LAN port of the MR3420 and then use the WIFI from this new router to access internet.

After using one of the above methods, we are ready to install mwan3 on it and do the load balancing.

(Last edited by code.compile.link on 19 Jul 2016, 17:36)

hi .. i am using mr 3220 with owrt bb   and i installed 2 wifi usb 1 is alfa 36h 1watt and 2nd is tplinkwn 7200nd..both are working nice.. i want  bond both wifi  can i loadbalanced them with mwan3?

The discussion might have continued from here.