OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Who selects packages for inclusion in release

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Just curious how packages in releases are selected.

For example, radvd has been dropped in favour of odhcpd, however odhcpd does not have all the features of radvd (such as configurable RDNSS).

I have found several packages in previous releases which have been dropped in the current release (15.05.1 Chaos Calmer) and I am just wondering what the process for selecting/dropping a package is.

TIA

As OpenWrt is EOL, no one.

OpenWRT is not EOL as I am sure the current set of developers would attest to....

The LEDE project and OpenWRT project are going on in parallel, but many discussions are happening about integration between the two branches.

Time will tell, but as of now, OpenWRT is not EOL.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that OpenWRT was EOL. It is just that I am finding I am using packages from past releases (with some success) because they are no longer included in the current release. If there was a process for pruning the packages in a release, I wanted to understand it.

Never mind Max Hopper, "OpenWrt is EOL" is his new irritating shtick.

cvmiller, when packages moved to Git the decision was made that packages need to have a maintainer. Some packages didn't get maintainers right away, some never did at all. Barrier Breaker, as a "transition", included those "unmaintained" packages one last time in the "oldpackages" directory, Chaos Calmer did not include them anymore.

The discussion might have continued from here.