OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: network configuration for fon2303 / chaos calmer with cable modem?

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

So I'm having trouble getting my Cisco dpc3008 cable modem to work with my Fon2303 (running the release 15.05.1 https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/fon/fonera2.0n)

When I connect the Fon2303 router to a DSL modem, it works fine, and when I connect the cable modem to my computer via ethernet, it also works fine.

Can someone provide me a set of configuration files that would work?

/etc/config/network

and

/etc/config/firewall

Would this config work? http://www.frameloss.org/2013/01/12/ipv … g-openwrt/

My ISP (Comcast xfinity) supports IPv6, I just can't figure out how to set it up.

Also, I can't get the Fon2303 to go into safe mode. The power light on the front blinks fast after I push the reset button, but I can't telnet in. So I'm not sure how to get back to an 'unconfigured' state

tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on en0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
22:49:44.724546 IP 192.168.1.1.48563 > 192.168.1.255.4919: UDP, length 1001
E.....@.@..............7...K..Please press button now to enter failsafe..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
mr.kms wrote:

So I'm having trouble getting my Cisco dpc3008 cable modem to work with my Fon2303 (running the release 15.05.1 https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/fon/fonera2.0n)

When I connect the Fon2303 router to a DSL modem, it works fine, and when I connect the cable modem to my computer via ethernet, it also works fine.

Can someone provide me a set of configuration files that would work?

/etc/config/network

and

/etc/config/firewall

Would this config work? http://www.frameloss.org/2013/01/12/ipv … g-openwrt/

My ISP (Comcast xfinity) supports IPv6, I just can't figure out how to set it up.

Also, I can't get the Fon2303 to go into safe mode. The power light on the front blinks fast after I push the reset button, but I can't telnet in. So I'm not sure how to get back to an 'unconfigured' state

tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on en0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
22:49:44.724546 IP 192.168.1.1.48563 > 192.168.1.255.4919: UDP, length 1001
E.....@.@..............7...K..Please press button now to enter failsafe..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Many cable ISPs white list MAC addresses of requesting devices only in a short period after powering up the modem. So in case you have not tried, please power down both the router and the modem, wait 5 to 10 minutes (this is voodoo) then power up modem and router. With a bit of luck, now the router's MAC will be white listed (and your computers MAC is probably not working anymore). Give this a try and please report either success or failure back to this thread.
        I believe you can safely ignore Max in this thread, as it appears he is not overly familiar with DOCSIS systems... wink Have a look at his posts in this forum, you will notice that he either responds thought and helpfully or in totally process oriented and pedantic way where he focusses on things like clarity of the posed question and suitability to this forum (according to his own internal definition of suitability). Here is seems he might be answering in the second mode...

Best Regards
        M.

moeller0's solution worked for me

wracking my brains trying to figure out why i wasn't getting any IPv6 router advertisements after starting up odhcp6c by hand etc. just power-cycled my modem and OpenWRT device and, next thing i know, every device on my home network has a global /64 (in addition to a ULA-prefixed address and link-local)

have wan6 configured as 'dhcpv6' "physically" connected to eth0 (same as wan) and nothing special that i know of

on comcast/xfinity

The discussion might have continued from here.