OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to install Luci without internet connection

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I installed a new firmware on my router but forgot to include Luci to the configurations in Openwrt. My router does not have internet connection, so i am not able to install the required packages. Is it possible to download them on my VM, transfer them (maybe via "scp") to the router and then install them so i can reach my router via ip on my browser?

Download and transfer the file to the router with SCP.  I use the tmp folder. 
Run "opkg install /tmp/<name of ipk>

@jsj: scp (typically "scp /path/to/package.ipk root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/package.ipk") or if you use windows you can use either pscp (from putty) or winscp (with a GUI) will allow you to transfer data from your computer to the router, as long as you can reach the router over the local network. And sorry for the Max distraction above, but his "bullying" needs some counter-pressure...

Best Regards
       M.

Thank you both very much. I think I got that point with the scp command and how it should work. But now my problem is that I dont know witch package is the right one. I mean there are so many different ones on every Website ( e.g.https://downloads.openwrt.org/latest/ar71xx/generic/packages/luci/ )
Do I have to download them all or are they just different versions?

jsj wrote:

Thank you both very much. I think I got that point with the scp command and how it should work. But now my problem is that I dont know witch package is the right one. I mean there are so many different ones on every Website ( e.g.https://downloads.openwrt.org/latest/ar71xx/generic/packages/luci/ )

That depends, if you installed from DD/trunk where everything is rebuild constantly, it is very likely that the packages in the repository will no be installable on your firmware. Then you might want to first install an new base firmware* and install all additional packages pretty much immediately (or if at least download all of them so you can install them later with out getting into version mismatches). Not all packages are build specific, but I believe at least kernel modules are... If you used CC I believe you should be fine.

Best Regards
        M.

* you can just use your newly acquired skills to upload the new firmware:
scp /path/2/syssupgrade_firmware.bin root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/firmware.bin

ssh root@192.168.1.1
cd /tmp
sysupgrade -n -v ./firmware.bin # this will keep most of your configuration ntact, if you did not configure anything yet use:
sysupgrade -v ./firmware.bin
instead. Without the "-n" option sysupgrade will try to keep most of your configurations, IIRC.

Best Regards
        M.

moeller0 wrote:
jsj wrote:

That depends, if you installed from DD/trunk where everything is rebuild constantly, it is very likely that the packages in the repository will no be installable on your firmware. Then you might want to first install an new base firmware* and install all additional packages pretty much immediately (or if at least download all of them so you can install them later with out getting into version mismatches). Not all packages are build specific, but I believe at least kernel modules are... If you used CC I believe you should be fine.

Best Regards
        M.

Sry I am not very familiar with all those things. I made an image with the OpenWrt devtools on my computer and installed this image as new firmware on my testrouter. But what do you meen with DD or CC?

Thank you for your help

jsj wrote:
moeller0 wrote:
jsj wrote:

Best Regards
        M.

Sry I am not very familiar with all those things. I made an image with the OpenWrt devtools on my computer and installed this image as new firmware on my testrouter. But what do you meen with DD or CC?

Thank you for your help

DD and CC refer to different versions of openwrt. CC expands to chaos calmer, which I believe is the current stable version, while DD expands to designated driver, which I believe to be the current development version. CC firmware images typically come with LuCI as far as I know, DD images do not. But since you used build your own firmware things might be different...

Best Regards
        M.

moeller0 wrote:
jsj wrote:
moeller0 wrote:

Best Regards
        M.

Thank you for your help

DD and CC refer to different versions of openwrt. CC expands to chaos calmer, which I believe is the current stable version, while DD expands to designated driver, which I believe to be the current development version. CC firmware images typically come with LuCI as far as I know, DD images do not. But since you used build your own firmware things might be different...

Best Regards
        M.

How different do you meen? Isn`t it possible to download the package ans transfer it via scp?
But there are more than hundret different ones.. Its not possible to download all of them

Or would another way be easier? Maybe i can change some settings so that I have directly an internet connection on my router?

Thanks

(Last edited by jsj on 23 Jun 2016, 16:03)

Lets ask the question a different way.  Do you know what the web link was that you used to download your files from? 
If you used this link it is DD:  https://downloads.openwrt.org/latest/
If you used DD then you may or may not be able to install Luci as the NOW current version may not be the needed one.  There is little or no harm in trying.  You will get a message telling you there is an error, typically a kernel error. 

Probably would not hurt for you to tell us exactly what hardware you are using.

Here are 2 links to information on Luci
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/luci.essentials - Scroll down to the section "minimalistic offline installation".  There is a set of packages you need for luci, it's not just one, but not all either.  About a dozen.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/start?do=search&id=luci - This is the general wiki link to all Luci pages.

It would be much easier to connect you router and do this.  Supporting files will be installed automatically.

Thank you for your help! Iwas able to install the right packages. Had to try a couple of different combinations but it finally worked.

Thanks again! Wish you a nice evening

The discussion might have continued from here.