OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Power led blinking about every 0.5 seconds

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all.

I'm running OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1, and although everything works just fine, I've noticed that the power led is blinking rapidly, about every 0.5 seconds. Tried to find documentation on what this indicated, but didn't quite find the infor I was looking for.
Does anyone here know what this fast blinking indicates? Is it failsafe mode or something?

Regards,
Kenneth

Max Hopper wrote:

Probably -

OpenWrt wiki wrote:

fast blink pattern

Thanks for the reply.

Grepping for "failsafe" under /var/log doesn't match anything, and when I log in using SSH, the  /etc/banner is displayed, not the /etc/banner.failsafe. So things doesn't aim at the router being in failsafe mode, even though power led blinking kind of does. Very strange...

What router is it? Has it not done this with OpenWrt or stock firmware in the past? Unless the blinking didn't occur before, it could be that the power LED isn't controllable via GPIO (check the LED settings on LuCI to find out) and/or simply works this way.

johndoe wrote:

What router is it? Has it not done this with OpenWrt or stock firmware in the past? Unless the blinking didn't occur before, it could be that the power LED isn't controllable via GPIO (check the LED settings on LuCI to find out) and/or simply works this way.

It's an Asus RT-N56U. It just recently got it, and installed OpenWRT more or less right away, so I'm not quite sure how it worked on the stock firmware. I'll google the stock router, and see if I find something interesting.

I looked up the router's manual, and it says the following...

Power LED
Off: No power.
On: Device is ready.
Flashing slow: Rescue mode
Flashing quick: WPS is processing.

But that's with the stock firmware, of course. If there is no mention of any errors in the logs, and OpenWrt seems to run fine, I wouldn't worry about this (though you may still want to check the LED settings to see how they're configured).

johndoe wrote:

I looked up the router's manual, and it says the following...

Power LED
Off: No power.
On: Device is ready.
Flashing slow: Rescue mode
Flashing quick: WPS is processing.

But that's with the stock firmware, of course. If there is no mention of any errors in the logs, and OpenWrt seems to run fine, I wouldn't worry about this (though you may still want to check the LED settings to see how they're configured).

Thanks for looking up the stock firmware manual. I guess it's related to that somehow, and will follow your advice and not worry about it.

Ah, I sort of figured out what caused the blinking. In /etc/rc.local I had a command that intentionally never exited, but as soon as I added a "&" (i.e. "/usr/bin/sh myscript.sh &") things works like a charm, and the power led stays lid.

The discussion might have continued from here.