OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: My AP PCs can't access my subnet PCs

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone
I'm having trouble setting up routing between 2 different subnets. Here is the layout of my network:

ADSL                                              WIRELESS
Internet     ----------  LiveBox 2.1 (non-openWRT)  -----------   Linksys router (openWTR)
                                          (192.168.1.1)                             (192.168.1.106 / 192.168.5.1)
                                                   |                                                            |
                                                   | WIRED                                               | WIRED
                                                   |                                                            |
                                                 PC1                                                      PC 2

I've followed this guide. PC2 can reach internet and see PC1, while this one can't see PC2.
I saw in the guide that I have to setup some static route:

IP address: 192.168.5.1 (IP address of our LAN interface)
    Destination LAN NET (required in DD-WRT): 192.168.5.0 (our LAN interface subnet)
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0 (Netmask of our LAN interface)
    Gateway: 192.168.1.106 (IP address of our WAN interface)

The problem is that in my Livebox 2.1, I don't know how to make it. here is a screenshot of NAT option available in this ADSL router:
https://s31.postimg.org/w5gabea57/livebox_nat.png

Any help please?
Regards

(Last edited by urmitnick on 18 Jun 2016, 04:32)

First of all: is the "internal" IP address of the OpenWrt device 192.168.5.1 or 192.168.2.1? Per your other comments, it should be 192.168.2.1, I guess it was just a typo.

Now, you do not need to configure the NAT on the Livebox, static routes are different from NAT rules; and if there is no mention of "static routes" in the "advanced" page, your device probably does not have an option to add them.

eduperez wrote:

First of all: is the "internal" IP address of the OpenWrt device 192.168.5.1 or 192.168.2.1? Per your other comments, it should be 192.168.2.1, I guess it was just a typo.

Now, you do not need to configure the NAT on the Livebox, static routes are different from NAT rules; and if there is no mention of "static routes" in the "advanced" page, your device probably does not have an option to add them.

Thank you eduperez for your answer
1. 192.168.1.106 is IP address of the OpenWrt router's WAN port, and 192.168.5.1 is  the subnet of the OpenWrt router
2. In fact, there is no mention of "static routes", in the livebox,  this means that I can't reach my AP PCs from the subnet?

Regards

(Last edited by urmitnick on 18 Jun 2016, 04:35)

urmitnick wrote:

1. 192.168.1.106 is wan's ip, and 192.168.5.1 is  the ip of the openWrt router. The other IPs was just quoted from openWrt guide..
2. In fact, there is no mention of "static routes", in the livebox,  this means that I can't reach my AP PCs from the subnet?

Be so kind to correct the description, e.g.,

1. 192.168.1.106 is IP address of the OpenWrt router's WAN port, and 192.168.5.1 is  the subnet of the OpenWrt router.

As configured, subnet 192.168.5.0/24 has access to devices in the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet.  This is IP addressing convention with NAT enabled (the OpenWrt device behaves as a proxy for STAs associated with the AP).

Be so kind to first attempt completing your homework and read this.

Max Hopper wrote:

Be so kind to first attempt completing your homework and read this.

Sorry for my bad description and bad english... I've corrected things you mentioned, and I'll take a look at the link you posetd.

Regards

The overarching question is 'why is the OpenWrt router in infrastructure mode (separate subnet)?'

If the requirement is to ringfence (isolate) the associated STAs then the network topology is correct.  Should that be untrue, i.e., every STA requires access to all others, configure the OpenWrt router as a (client) bridge (single subnet).

The discussion might have continued from here.