OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wiki Suggest seperate nets on WLAN and LAN for Ad-Hoc. Why?

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Aug 2016. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Can someone elaborate on the comment that WLAN and LAN should have seperate nets....

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Configuration
says
'You MUST do this if you want to use ad-hoc mode, otherwise your throughput WILL suffer!'

In my usage senerio it would be benefitial to have WLAN and LAN bridged.
Simon.

I was wondering this myself.  For something the wiki says MUST be done I find it puzzling that there is no explanation as to why.

I tried using ad-hoc with DD-Wrt and it did not work at all.  I then tried with Sveasoft and it barely worked, e.g. 95% packet loss.  Then along came open-wrt.  Ad-hoc works pretty good, very little packet loss, but I find that pings that should take 1 to 3 milliseconds can take anywhere up to a minute or more to come back.  This happens whether the wifi is bridged with vlan0 or not, and with routers that are no more than a foot apart so low signal strength or interference is unlikely.  I can ping 100% and with no delays an old linksys wireless ethernet bridge in ad-hoc mode from my laptop, so I know that this issue is definitely confined to the routers.  The same routers are rock solid in ap/client configuration, so I have no reason to suspect the hardware.

What is it about ad-hoc mode that makes it so flaky on the 54g?
Is this a kernel driver issue or some other software?

ad-hoc mode does not support bridging natively. it's not a kernel issue, it's an 802.11 limitation. Ad-hoc also does not 'link' with it's peers, and therefore will not show a link status. It will however show the cell it belongs to, and if both peers belong with the same cell, and channel they will communicate Ok. However, I believe it encourages bad network design. Take the time to learn how to route. You will reap the rewards.

Hi Driven,
might not help you, but I was finding bad performance with Freifunk (had been changing all the settings :-) and whatever I set would not improve it..... in the end I did a factory reset and it magically started working.

Tip is to factory reset and change minimum of settings.
Simon

I'm still looking for the answer.... it appears that noboby know why briding WLAN and LAN causes a slow connection on WiFi when using Ad-Hoc.

If you do know please post.
Thanks,
Simon.

Still no answer... :-(

I think it's just because the little processor can't cope with running a bridge in software, not enough MIPs. However I have found another solution which does not require a bridge, subnetting the hell out of it.

Details are here (if anyone is interested):
http://wordpress.calgarymesh.ca/2006/12 … -friefunk/

Simon.

The discussion might have continued from here.