OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: W25Q128FV can't be flashed

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi

From a malfunctioning GL-AR150 i've erased flash chip completely, removed it from the board and it cannot be flashed anymore.

programmer used CH341A, writing to chip give message in the end "Chip with the contents are in disagreement"

erasing chip doesn't take a time but immediately displays message that the chip is erased.

is it damaged or it needs some special initalization?

had no troubles with the same flash chip and ch341a programmer

i've tried another chip and flashed without problems (same model). this one goes to junk.

flashed one with the same sypthoms today
only third attempt was successful using Auto button (erase->blank check->flash->verify)

probably it was caused by clip used for flashing (was lazy to insert it to the special sop8 socket)
wires of this clip are long and thick and probably the signal can be lost or distorted

(Last edited by stas2z on 8 Jun 2016, 18:57)

i suspected the same but then again, the chips that were on the board could not even be detected. this one that can't be written to has been desoldered from the board and the software detects it when connected using clip wires.

before i got ch341a i tried to copy content from other chip to this one while both were connected and most likely damaged it.

edit: if you flashed it two times and got wrong data written but 3rd flash succeeded you might check your software version. i've seen newer versions do this but older versions (maybe 1.13 or 1.17) always flash it without errors.

(Last edited by anarchy99 on 8 Jun 2016, 19:33)

it was unsoldered
my software ver are 1.18 and 1.30

cant check it with sop8 socket cuz it's was immediately soldered to unit after flashing

(Last edited by stas2z on 9 Jun 2016, 08:26)

@anarchy99, Short Q:
Could be a problem if I've used CH341A v1.17 Programmer software that have in list only W25Q128BV instead of W25Q128FV the last one being my original Chip too?

According to the manuals (BV version page 71 Ordering information section and FV version page 97), 128B or 128F the same density 128M-bit, V=2.7..3.6V in both cases.
I don't see any difference, more than that, I have successfully writen / verified the Bios chip and get into the windows again.

I've received the above mentioned error "Chip with the contents are in disagreement" using v1.29 too.
Any thoughts? thanks

i don't think so. haven't checked it precisely but i think you can even use preset for lower size chip if you need to write bootloader only. 16M (fullsize) preset is required if you need to flash full dump. and yes i've also noticed difference between profiles, some will write data ok, other will write garbage, maybe something like endianess or some bytes flip no idea...

Thanks, until now, everything is looking good. I suppose that if there is something goes wrong I can't even get to UEFI not Windows.

Hello, I have the same problem, I have not been able to solve, you did?

I tried everything, the chip is connected properly, but the legend appears: "Chip with the contents are in disagreement"

@hershins7 Hey sorry to hear that, I'll be more specific:
I am running on Win 8.1 64-bit, CH341A (black edition) programmer, 1.17 Software Programmer started "as admin" (downloaded from the video's page).

You also can try (if you didn't yet) to run as admin as well and then, maybe run the compatibility troubleshooter and let the OS choose the best option for you? play a little bit with these settings sometimes give good results.

When did you received the message error at the end after the verification sequence?
take care,

(Last edited by BK on 7 Aug 2016, 06:47)

BK wrote:

@hershins7 Hey sorry to hear that, I'll be more specific:
I am running on Win 8.1 64-bit, CH341A (black edition) programmer, 1.17 Software Programmer started "as admin" (downloaded from the video's page).

You also can try (if you didn't yet) to run as admin as well and then, maybe run the compatibility troubleshooter and let the OS choose the best option for you? play a little bit with these settings sometimes give good results.

When did you received the message error at the end after the verification sequence?
take care,

I have windows 7 and I did what you told me and it did not work. I can reprogram other bios, but I've had many problems with this: MX25L1606E I try to erase but nothing, auto, and nothing etc.

when I try to program warning appears: "Main Memory Chip are not null"

when I already had allegedly previously deleted

I do not know what to do

I am from Argentina, sorry if you do not understand my English

(Last edited by hershins7 on 7 Aug 2016, 22:06)

it is as if not erase the contents, if it detects the bos but not delete

anarchy99 wrote:

Hi

From a malfunctioning GL-AR150 i've erased flash chip completely, removed it from the board and it cannot be flashed anymore.

programmer used CH341A, writing to chip give message in the end "Chip with the contents are in disagreement"

erasing chip doesn't take a time but immediately displays message that the chip is erased.

is it damaged or it needs some special initalization?

Hello, for solving this incidence maybe you can use CH341A programmer v1.31 (I had a speech by email with the owner SkyGz, and the latest version of CH341A programmer software it was 1.31 version for unlocked hardware programmer and at the moment v1.33 for locked programmer identified by violet print circuit board and it uses a pendrive as security check, otherwise you can download an unlocked cracked version 1.30 from here https://yadi.sk/d/ATPoJQkQrvRdm) or else you can always select COMMON flash chip ( COMMON is a generic and compatible chip with same instructions than the others manufacturers) with identical capacity. I hope that these solutions can help you.

hershins7 wrote:

I am from Argentina, sorry if you do not understand my English

@hershins7 hey there, it's fine I understand, maybe you can try to ask here or here, hope it's not against the forum rules; if it's not allowed to share this info with you I'll edit the post immediately.

(Last edited by BK on 8 Aug 2016, 15:58)

Hi ,

I had the same trouble. Resolve them by using the 1.29 version . (like note allowed, sorry)

I hope it will work for you .

The discussion might have continued from here.