OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT is limiting my download speed?

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have normally around 330 download consistently when connected to the modem, but when I connect to my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router with a 1000mbps link speed connection, I'm limited to 120-130 download consistently?

Is there something I'm missing? I even upgraded to the recent build, and did a complete reformat of the router. :V

gladiator wrote:

I have normally around 330 download consistently when connected to the modem, but when I connect to my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router with a 1000mbps link speed connection, I'm limited to 120-130 download consistently?

Is there something I'm missing? I even upgraded to the recent build, and did a complete reformat of the router. :V

what is your connection type? IPoE, PPPoE or any tunnel type like PPtP or L2TP?

Atheros AR9132 can give you about 150-170 mbps through NAT via IPoE, ~100-120 mbps via PPPoE or 70-80mbps via L2TP/PPtP using AA firmware or optimized BB build, with CC or DD you need substruct about a quarter of theese values

(Last edited by stas2z on 2 Jun 2016, 10:48)

gladiator wrote:

You are not being clear when saying around 330 download consistently vs. limited to 120-130 download consistently. In other words, a 330 Mbps is way much slower than a 120-130 MBps, i.e. 1 MBps ~= 8 Mbps. So, if your former measure of 330 download was in Mbps (~ 41.25 MBps) while the later 120-130 download was in MBps (~ 1Gbps or ~ 1,000 Mbps), then obviously the later is at least 3x faster than the former.

If you want some fun reading:  https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11779

tl;dr is, hardware nat is not available so throughput even on a router that works great with stock firmware (if it uses hardware nat acceleration) is not going to be great past about 100mbps.

(Last edited by jeffmeden on 2 Jun 2016, 16:25)

@jeffmeden

i will be really happy to know where you found hardware nat in the 8 yo ar9132 WiSoC

and by the way, wdr4300 mentioned inside that thread can reach >300mbps with pure software NAT (IPoE)

(Last edited by stas2z on 2 Jun 2016, 16:49)

Comparing the speed of a direct connection to the modem with one through a router running OpenWRT is not a useful comparison to determine whether OpenWRT is causing the bottleneck. It may simply be the limitations of the hardware. If you want to know, then try reverting to stock router firmware and see what speed you get then.

(Last edited by Degeneratescum on 3 Jun 2016, 15:58)

The discussion might have continued from here.