OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: openvswitch setup problems

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm setting up ovs in my router (WR741ND). But i'm getting this messages every boot. if i restart ovs the same messages appear.

daemon.warn ovs-vswitchd: ovs|00025|netdev_linux|WARN|ethtool command ETHTOOL_GSET on network device eth0.3 failed: No such device
daemon.warn ovs-vswitchd: ovs|00026|netdev_linux|WARN|ethtool command ETHTOOL_GSET on network device eth0.2 failed: No such device
daemon.warn ovs-vswitchd: ovs|00027|netdev_linux|WARN|ethtool command ETHTOOL_GSET on network device eth0.1 failed: No such device
daemon.warn ovs-vswitchd: ovs|00028|netdev_linux|WARN|ethtool command ETHTOOL_GSET on network device eth0.4 failed: No such device

The command "ovs-vsctl show" give me this:

4f75b48d-85c4-4594-b6af-b7f8b0b1147c
    Bridge "br0"
        Controller "ptcp:6634"
        Controller "tcp:10.10.10.10:6633"
        fail_mode: secure
        Port "eth0.4"
            Interface "eth0.4"
        Port "eth0.3"
            Interface "eth0.3"
        Port "eth0.2"
            Interface "eth0.2"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
        Port "eth0.1"
            Interface "eth0.1"

What i'm doing wrong?

Even if this does not means any thing if i connect ryu or pox and set all the hosts ips the ARP reply messages do not get delivered, only broadcast messages  (like ARP request)  are delivered but those work even without pox or ryu.

I give up Open vSwitch!

Today I just finished build a new firmware but this time with CPqD OpenFlow switch from here https://github.com/CPqD/ofsoftswitch13. It's smaller than Open vSwitch with support for only OpenFlow 13. Since its smaller i could keep the wifi packges.

It looks like both of these (Open vSwitch and CPqD openflow-openwrt) have their on set of problems. Both each i do not have any solutions yet.

Now i will move away from the most recent build of openwrt and try the 14 an 12 versions.

byw you have to use the OpenWRT 15.05 to be able to install (by opk) or compile Open vSwitch. You will also have to edit the START priority of /etc/init.d/openvswitch to 99 to make it start right. Just be sure to disable the service with

/etc/init.d/openvswitch disable

before you edit it and enable it back with

/etc/init.d/openvswitch enable

then a simpel reboot will do the trick.

But if you feel fancy (or have a router with only 4MB of flash) you can simple use CPqD openflow-openwrt. I made a fork (https://github.com/lassade/openflow-openwrt) with my patches so you will be able to run it out of the box following the common install instructions but you will find a hard time putting it to work with RYU, OpenDayLigth or FloodLigth.

I will post more here my own blog inside the openwrt forum.

Today I put my hands on a WR1043 and by following this tutrial http://ljdelight.com/turning-tp-link-wr … ed-switch/ I was able to setup openvswtich, but with some changes:

1. To keep ssh working you need to set some interface with a ip address, in this case eth0 (WAN port):

# if u use this name u get a free dhcp for your controller!
# check dhcp settings at /etc/config/dhcp and see why.
# change the ovs bridge name if u keep this name here!
config interface 'lan'
 option ifname 'eth0'
 option force_link '1'
 option type 'bridge'
 option proto 'static'
 # random ip set as you like but be sure to keep this in the same subnetwork of your controller
 option ipaddr '10.10.10.1'
 option netmask '255.255.255.0'

2. Set the switch to secure mode, by default ovs will handle packets by himself after 3 failed attempts to connect with some controller.

ovs-vsctl set-fail-mode [BRIDGE_NAME] secure

3. You don't need a DHCP server for your hosts, just set all ips by youself if you don't have o bunch of computers lying around.

This is all that i remember.
Let me know if you have any trouble following these instructions.

Since i know OVS is the way to go i will give another shot in my WR741ND.

The discussion might have continued from here.