OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54S wireless driver and amplifier usage

The content of this topic has been archived on 9 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am new to the OpenWRT source code but have over 10 years of expierence developing code in C. I reciently purchased a WHR-HP-G54S would wanted to verify how OpenWRT handles the amplifier and xmit power. Can someone point me in the right direction as to which C source file contains the correct wireless driver for this router. I spent a few hours reviewing the source and couldn't locate exactly where the amplifier was being handled in the code. Thanks!

This is in the Broadcom closed source code. Does anyone here have access to the Broadcom device driver source and care to explain how the Broadcom driver handles the internal amplifier on the WHR-HP-G54S? Looks like I will need to go to Broadcom to get this answered.

the broadcom driver just enables this feature by a special boardflag. per default this boardflag is disabled.
nvram set boardflags=0x2758
nvram commit
reboot
fixes this

Thanks BrainSlayer,

I sent an e-mail off to Broadcom to see if I could get an answer to the following questions:

1.    What output signal strength does the wireless driver use for the input to the PA?
2.    When transmit power is adjusted by the appropriate WL_IOCTL system call how is the output power of the amplifier adjusted? (ie, if I specify that I want 100mw transmit power what is being done to adjust the output power of the amplifier)?

Right now I have my output power adjusted all the way down to 10mw and I still have a very strong signal coming out of the amplifier. I simply wanted to verify how the Broadcom driver was handling the amplifier so that I understood what I should expect.

The discussion might have continued from here.