OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Don't mean to derail the conversation, but I've recently bought two WRT1900ACS routers for my home and david's firmware saved my bacon after the instability and slow speeds of OpenWRT's release firmware. I flashed the version posted on 5-12 but I noticed there is already another one up. Should I reflash my two routers or should I just stick with what I currently have if it seems to work flawlessly 96-99% of the time? How often are new builds uploaded and are they all relatively stable?

(Last edited by dylanweber on 22 May 2017, 10:21)

Hello,

I was out of forum some time and see that warning bunner for WRT3200 was changed??

There is no warnind about difficulties in re-flashing Lede to Lede?

Does it mean that I do not need UST2TTL cable to reflash router?

(Last edited by silelis on 22 May 2017, 12:40)

@Starcms how close were you to the router when you performed those iperf tests? Also I tried David's 5/12 build but I ran into that same problem where my requests would go in slow (websites stalled and took long to load) But this router is in a place where where is 30 wireless N networks and 10-15 AC networks. The number would be smaller if it weren't for xfinitywifi and blank SSID's. I'm assuming the only reason why most of the people in my area have wireless AC is because Comcast provided to them, HOME-XXXX bloat everywhere.

Hello,

One quick question.
Until now when i was updating to a newer david's build, i used to go to stock firmware and then to factory.img and then to sysugrade.bin

This is not necessary?

I can just sysupgrade directly from luci?

(Last edited by Pasxalisk on 22 May 2017, 13:23)

Pasxalisk wrote:

Hello,

One quick question.
Until now when i was updating with a newer david's build, i used to go to stock firmware and then to factory.img and then to sysugrade.bin

This is not necessary?

Probably not because there is no such information in firmware warning but nfo should be confirmed by someone who checked.

(Last edited by silelis on 22 May 2017, 13:20)

Pasxalisk wrote:

Hello,

One quick question.
Until now when i was updating to a newer david's build, i used to go to stock firmware and then to factory.img and then to sysugrade.bin

This is not necessary?

There is no need to run the sysupgrade.bin after installing fractory.img from Linksys UI. Issue is, if you do a sysupgrade from within LEDE you will overwrite the Linksys partition with LEDE and have lost the Linksys firmware. I always keep the Linksys firmware as I try multiple different firmware, LEDE, Openwrt, DD-WRT, and Gargoyle. Couldn't do that if the Linksys firmware is gone.
Keep in mind that Linksys built in a safety net of sorts. A install/update always goes to the inactive partition, giving you a way back to a good firmware should the install go badly.

starcms wrote:
jalles wrote:

hmm. @starcms stated config on a WRT3200ACM, latest r4164 LEDE, a Linksys USB AC adapter on a laptop as client.

wireless connection shows 433 Mbs link, I get 67.6 Mbit/s with iperf3 server on WRT. Only one CPU gets loaded.

I believe the performance of the 3200ACM is still slower than the rest, due to the mwlwifi driver still being worked on and the 3200ACM having the 88W8964 wifi chips instead of the 88W8864 like all the other WRT models.

Last I heard, I believe it is now at least stable and doesn't eat up memory, but is still slower than it should be.  I'm sure @david or someone with a 3200 will chime in.

Actually, it's getting there.... Last week I did a speedtest on my 2015 Mac Pro through wifi (why am I even saying this, the macpro doesn't have ethernet XD) and I hit 800mbps.

Granted I was about 1m away from the router, but still

Awright, so I flashed the latest firmware on my 3200acm.

Fair warning that I also have a IPTV receiver plugged through ethernet on the router.

On Wifi (On a Alienware 17 R4 laptop with the Qualcomm Killer Wifi 1535 (2x2) chip sitting about 5 meters from the router):

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6316905484.png

On wired:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6316908479.png

My internet is 1000/100 btw.

Some tweaks might still be necessary but it's a damn nice start...

Wired:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/15647200.png

Wireless:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/15647306.png

Considering you have a 1,000/100 Mbps connection, the 1st result from the DSLReport test is not bad. I have a 1/1 Gbps connection and the DSLReport resulted with an average of 400/970 Mbps connection. With the link you provided, the result is about 150/600 Mbps connection. In both tests, they used local (nearby AT&T) servers.

Sizeable Swiss wrote:

@Starcms how close were you to the router when you performed those iperf tests? Also I tried David's 5/12 build but I ran into that same problem where my requests would go in slow (websites stalled and took long to load) But this router is in a place where where is 30 wireless N networks and 10-15 AC networks. The number would be smaller if it weren't for xfinitywifi and blank SSID's. I'm assuming the only reason why most of the people in my area have wireless AC is because Comcast provided to them, HOME-XXXX bloat everywhere.

About 15 feet away (in the next room).  All you can try at this point is running a WiFi detector to see what channels others in your area are using, and try to find a vacant one.  I had said to use 147, but that's what is clear in my area.  Actually almost the entire 5GHz band is clear in my area (i live in a house, not an apartment, and since 5GHz doesn't go through walls as well as 2.4GHz, I can only pick up 1 other 5GHz AP, and about 15 other 2.4GHz APs).

Pasxalisk wrote:

Hello,

One quick question.

This is not necessary?

You can sysupgrade direct from LuCi and it's perfectly safe.  But as someone else said, you will lose the Linksys firmware on the secondary partition.  If you always use LEDE, it's no big deal.  It's what I do.

Plus you can always flash the Linksys firmware back on at anytime using the command

sysupgrade -n -v -F linksysfirmware.img

(Last edited by starcms on 22 May 2017, 19:44)

dylanweber wrote:

Don't mean to derail the conversation, but I've recently bought two WRT1900ACS routers for my home and david's firmware saved my bacon after the instability and slow speeds of OpenWRT's release firmware. I flashed the version posted on 5-12 but I noticed there is already another one up. Should I reflash my two routers or should I just stick with what I currently have if it seems to work flawlessly 96-99% of the time? How often are new builds uploaded and are they all relatively stable?

Since you have a 1900ACS, you probably won't notice any difference with the latest build.  I always prefer to keep up-to-date, but the biggest change in the latest releases are the updates to the mwlwifi driver to benefit the WRT3200ACM.  @david updates a build approx once a week, maybe once every two weeks.  They are all stable.  If what you have now is working fine, don't worry about always having to update to the most up-to-date version unless you are OCD like me smile

Off topic, but holy bandwidth batman!  Does everyone in here have a gigabit fiber connection?!  Am I the only one on cable, and at only 50mbps/5mbps?  I could have up to 200mbps/20mbps, but it would be $100 a month!  $66 is enough as it is lol!  How much are these gigabit fiber connections costing y'all where you are lucky enough to even have them available?

starcms wrote:

Off topic, but holy bandwidth batman!  Does everyone in here have a gigabit fiber connection?!  Am I the only one on cable, and at only 50mbps/5mbps?  I could have up to 200mbps/20mbps, but it would be $100 a month!  $66 is enough as it is lol!  How much are these gigabit fiber connections costing y'all where you are lucky enough to even have them available?

About $100 Canadian

farchord wrote:
starcms wrote:

About $100 Canadian

Holy crap!  So fiber at 1000/100 for approx the same price I pay for cable at 50/5!

starcms wrote:
farchord wrote:
starcms wrote:

About $100 Canadian

Holy crap!  So fiber at 1000/100 for approx the same price I pay for cable at 50/5!

Yup. Here we have a duopoly situation (Cable and Phone telco). The phone telco is the one that has FTTH.

For $100, I can get either 1000/100 through the phone telco, or 120/10 through cable.

farchord wrote:
starcms wrote:
farchord wrote:

About $100 Canadian

Yup. Here we have a duopoly situation (Cable and Phone telco). The phone telco is the one that has FTTH.

For $100, I can get either 1000/100 through the phone telco, or 120/10 through cable.

Same situation here.  Unfortunately, the phone telco (AT&T) only has FTTC (or more accuratelly FTTN (fiber to the node)), and it's speeds are slower than cable (I think around 30/3) and more expensive. 

At least our cable provider (Cox) is gradually rolling out Gigablast which will be FTTH, but who knows how much they will charge.  My guess is between $120-150 USD.  And it won't be here till 2018 or 2019.

(Last edited by starcms on 22 May 2017, 21:19)

starcms wrote:

My isp charges $45mo. for  300/300mbps (symmetrical). However you have to bundle in TV to get that price, and currently I have basic TV for $20mo. when you include taxes, 911 emergency phone (they require), and router (I don't use), it's 95 dollars a month for everything.

I could bump up to 1Gig for 25 dollars a month more, but I don't really use the 300mbps I have now...... so I'll wait until I need it.

I'm paying 7 euro for 1Gb/500Mb FTTH. But this is already off-topic. Please stick to the topic. Thanks.

nitroshift

Model                    Linksys WRT1900AC  V1
Firmware Version    Lede Reboot SNAPSHOT r4164-48d71ab / LuCI Master (git-17.137.70591-7deb3ab)
Kernel Version            4.9.20

Flashed the sysupgrade from 4.4.61 to 4.9.20 without issue thus far

Uptime    0h 8m 33s

So far it is behaving rather nicely on the 5Ghz channel running a Samsung Note 3

48.0 Mbit/s, 20MHz
292.5 Mbit/s, 80MHz, VHT-MCS 7, VHT-NSS 1

NO reboot  issue as yet, will keep you posted should a glitch appear.

Thanks for doggedly pursuing these increasingly better builds!    smile

Edit:

Reboot issue cycle persists but I was getting about 30 minutes per cycle before reboot.

Cheers

(Last edited by hancor on 23 May 2017, 05:40)

@david , do you happen to have a previous release for Shelby available for download? I need the previous to latest build you pushed out this last weekend... since I've installed this latest build I'm having SEVERE wifi performance issues on 2.4Ghz (not using 5ghz). I'm not sure if it's some change in the latest build, or something else I've messed up during the upgrade ( I've installed some rules in the firewall, but that wouldn't justify a drop from 40 mbits to 8 mbits in iperf3 at 20 feet ).

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* : Forget about this... I've tried downloading the official LEDE 17.1 and the problem persists, it's not your new build smile I'll keep digging

(Last edited by mariano.silva on 23 May 2017, 05:24)

I'm seeing some parsing errors when installing the luci packages ... this one for example:

root@RouterACS:~# opkg install luci-theme-darkmatter
Installing luci-theme-darkmatter (git-17.010.73729-fd88e48-1) to root...
Downloading https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/snapshots/r4114/packages/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3/darkmatter/luci-theme-darkmatter_git-17.010.73729-fd88e48-1_all.ipk
Configuring luci-theme-darkmatter.
uci: Parse error (too many arguments) at line 21, byte 128

Ideas ??

mariano.silva wrote:

I'm seeing some parsing errors when installing the luci packages ... this one for example:

root@RouterACS:~# opkg install luci-theme-darkmatter
Installing luci-theme-darkmatter (git-17.010.73729-fd88e48-1) to root...
Downloading https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/snapshots/r4114/packages/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3/darkmatter/luci-theme-darkmatter_git-17.010.73729-fd88e48-1_all.ipk
Configuring luci-theme-darkmatter.
uci: Parse error (too many arguments) at line 21, byte 128

Ideas ??

I personally didn't receive this error, but someone else posted it regarding installing darkmatter.  However, they said darkmatter still worked fine.

Sorry, posts 1976 to 1975 are missing from our archive.