OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

BigCalhoun wrote:

Since it has the latest wireless driver, I'm trying this build on the WRT1900ACS v2. So far, so good for the most part. The GUI definitely seems a lot faster and more responsive. Wireless and wireline communications are fine. So far, the things that I've configured (dynamic DNS and static DHCP leases) are fine. I have not encountered the delay with the radios. I did notice my wireless throughput is difference. On kaloz's latest build, I was around 280Mbps on an 802.11n link. On this build, I'm around 260Mbps. Not enough to care about (for me) but interesting.

For a test, would you mind replacing the wifi firmware with the one found here >  https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/tree/m … n/firmware

Test it out and see if it makes any difference.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 17 Aug 2016, 13:19)

davidc502 wrote:

For a test, would you mind replacing the wifi firmware with the one found here >  https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/tree/m … n/firmware

That is beyond my abilities at the moment. I am looking around now to understand how to unpack the image so I can replace that firmware and then repack it. When I can get that sorted, I'll be happy to help and report back.

BigCalhoun wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

That is beyond my abilities at the moment. I am looking around now to understand how to unpack the image so I can replace that firmware and then repack it. When I can get that sorted, I'll be happy to help and report back.

Actually, it can be a drag and drop operation.  Just download the 88W8864.bin and save it on your desktop. Then download WinSCP and connect to your router. Navigate to the /lib/firmware/mwlwifi directory and copy the current 88W8864.bin file to your desktop or some other place to keep safe as a backup. Then just drag and drop the new 88W8864.bin into the /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/ directory and restart the router.

If you don't feel comfortable, it's okay, but didn't know if you knew about the WinSCP option as it just uses a GUI on the windows desktop.

I sometimes make things more difficult then they need to be...

I used the updated wifi firmware; the firmware originally in your build seems to be working better. Perhaps I had some interference last night; today the firmware from your build was fairly consistent @ around 280Mbps with the lowest test run dropping to 257Mbps.

On the updated firmware above, the speeds were a little more erratic. I had some tests around 280Mbps, some around 250MBps, and the lowest went down to 136Mbps.

I apologize for any false alarm. I did the same tests last night, in the same way and can't explain the difference from then till now except a crowded channel, maybe? Interference. I don't know. Thanks for taking an interest in it, though.

@BigCalhoun

There are iphone and android wifi analyzers that will tell you how crowded channels are as well as signal strength etc.

has anyone tested/get the esata  port to work?

I've just bought an esata- sata adapter but seems that the router doesn't see the drive ( it spins and works on pc with an usb adapter ).
On fdisk I don't get anything about external hdd.
The only info I found is about about a bug https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/22282#no1  that tells that the port doesn't work...
Is my adaptor useless?

Thanks

I know the port works because I log to USB via the usb/esata port.

However, I've never attempted to use a adapter or esata for that matter.

You may want to see if mounting a USB will work.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 19 Aug 2016, 02:57)

I've just tested an USB pen drive and works fine!

I can't tell for sure if the adapter is good or broken: is brand new and makes the disks spin, I would say that works...

@Box8x
One thought. Does the adapter have a separate power supply or does it get its power from the USB/esata port? If from the port the router may not be able to provide enough power.  That is all the help on this I can provide as I do not use a combination like what you are trying to do. I just have a USB flash drive formatted ext4. Use it for YAMon3 and collectd logs.
--bill

bill1228 wrote:

@Box8x
One thought. Does the adapter have a separate power supply or does it get its power from the USB/esata port? If from the port the router may not be able to provide enough power.  That is all the help on this I can provide as I do not use a combination like what you are trying to do. I just have a USB flash drive formatted ext4. Use it for YAMon3 and collectd logs.
--bill

I don't think that's power related the drive is rated for 5v @ 0.55A ( like an old pen drive ) , I attached even an SSD ( that should have lower power ? ) with the same result. I  can't give separate power as it's an AIO product like this one
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc1WDUwMA==/z/-OEAAOSwcu5URZgx/$_35.JPG?set_id=2.

EDIT: I used a USB power meter while charging my phone. The  usb port gives 4.86V @ 0.46A.
It could be a power issue but it's unlikely...

EDIT2: on the esata port I attached the same drive with an USB3 to sata adapter. The power meter says 4.91V at 0.29A and the disk is found by the router. 

I would say It's something driver/kernel related...

(Last edited by Bob8x on 19 Aug 2016, 20:42)

can you help get a build  surport ntfs and usb3 for acs 1900,thank you, in china cant open davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net

David - first of all many thanks to you and the rest of the guys who have got OpenWRT working on this HW. It's an exemplary piece of work!
Writing now because I'm finally getting a wrt1900 and was deciding which build to flash.
So one quick question - does this build support the openWRT failsafe? (It has helped me on several occasions in my experiments with openWRT..)

Hi David, have you seen or have been reported any issues on your builds with regards to using pppoe for the wan? particularly if there is a wan disconnection and the router hangs up rather than pppoe reconnecting?

wayne1958 wrote:

David - first of all many thanks to you and the rest of the guys who have got OpenWRT working on this HW. It's an exemplary piece of work!
Writing now because I'm finally getting a wrt1900 and was deciding which build to flash.
So one quick question - does this build support the openWRT failsafe? (It has helped me on several occasions in my experiments with openWRT..)

The recovery method still exists on the lede builds. I know because I've had to use it a few times. lol

jawad_hai wrote:

Hi David, have you seen or have been reported any issues on your builds with regards to using pppoe for the wan? particularly if there is a wan disconnection and the router hangs up rather than pppoe reconnecting?

I do know that point to point over ethernet is included, but have not heard of any issues, and that's not to say you will not have any wink

Cheers,

I see there is a -1 version of the latest wireless driver. Guessing you, David, have already seen that. Not sure what minor bug they are fixing. Got to be minor with a -1 version number. 

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commits/master

--bill

bill1228 wrote:

I see there is a -1 version of the latest wireless driver. Guessing you, David, have already seen that. Not sure what minor bug they are fixing. Got to be minor with a -1 version number. 

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commits/master

--bill

Interesting... Yeah, thanks for letting me know.. It's been out for about 10 hours or so at the time I write this.

@david
Could you include the sensors command in the next build? Like being able to see what the cpu temps are.
--bill

Sure, that shouldn't be a problem.

You may have already installed it??? I don't know, but just in case you need it now.

Run the following commands.

opkg update

opkg install lm-sensors

Then you can run the sensors command.

root@lede:~# sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
temp1:        +50.4°C
temp2:        +52.0°C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +78.0°C

(Last edited by davidc502 on 25 Aug 2016, 22:18)

Thanks david, i just tired your latest LEDE build and its working great. i simulated PPPoe disconnections and each time it reconnected with no problems at all.
I have a question, what is the purpose of Wan6? i saw a few posts around saying we shouldnt delete it..

davidc502 wrote:
jawad_hai wrote:

I do know that point to point over ethernet is included, but have not heard of any issues, and that's not to say you will not have any wink

Cheers,

davidc502 wrote:

Hi David,

Would you please also consider including DNSCrypt into your build?

Many thanks. ))

jawad_hai wrote:

Thanks david, i just tired your latest LEDE build and its working great. i simulated PPPoe disconnections and each time it reconnected with no problems at all.
I have a question, what is the purpose of Wan6? i saw a few posts around saying we shouldnt delete it..

davidc502 wrote:
jawad_hai wrote:

Cheers,

From what I understand IPV6 management. Since my ISP doesn't handle IPV6, I just disable it as well as other IPV6 services to help free up resources.

Rafkat wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Hi David,

Would you please also consider including DNSCrypt into your build?

Many thanks. ))

Do you know what the packages are for DNSCrypt?

Aaah Okay. Well im glad to have a reliable setup once again as the last firmware would just freeze up the router on pppoe hangups and i'd have to physically go and reboot it. Thats not easy as its on a different floor. And then since i travel alot, any issues will mean the wife wont be able to troubleshoot it.
So far this 4.4.15 build is going great, great wifi perfomance, pppoe reliability and all the LEDs work!!

thanks alot for your work on this, much appreciated!

cheers!

davidc502 wrote:
jawad_hai wrote:

davidc502 wrote:

Cheers,

From what I understand IPV6 management. Since my ISP doesn't handle IPV6, I just disable it as well as other IPV6 services to help free up resources.

Sorry, posts 151 to 150 are missing from our archive.