OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I'm so far using version from the 27th of December on my WRT1900ACSv2 since a couple of weeks.
Working perfectly. No issues at all.

Two questions when it comes to the LEDE version and your version David.
Your version, is it based on LEDE RC2? Or will it be from the next built you are releasing?
Can I upgrade from your version to LEDE RC2 directly, or do I need to go back to the Factory image first?

(Last edited by Geraner on 11 Feb 2017, 09:35)

Geraner wrote:

I'm so far using version from the 27th of December on my WRT1900ACSv2 since a couple of weeks.
Working perfectly. No issues at all.

Two questions when it comes to the LEDE version and your version David.
Your version, is it based on LEDE RC2? Or will it be from the next built you are releasing?
Can I upgrade from your version to LEDE RC2 directly, or do I need to go back to the Factory image first?

Those are good questions.  Yes, you can upgrade to the Official LEDE RC2 builds from the davidc502 snapshots. However, though RC2 has all possible packages available to download, I don't know what's built in by default. So, after installing RC2, you may need to install some of the packages that are needed. This usually isn't a big deal.. I might have some time tonight to install RC2, just to see what's included in the build. Currently, the differences are going to be minimal as far as fixes, drivers, etc. However, I think it's cool that LEDE is finally going to put out an official "Release", so some people may want to give it a go, and that's why I put the link on the website.

Hope that helps.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 11 Feb 2017, 15:49)

Awesome. Thanks for your answer!
One more question.
What is actually the different compared to the LEDE RC2 version, and your version?
Excapt that you may are been using new Wifi drivers than LEDE RC2.
Do I undstand, that LEDE is a more "naked/clean" software, while your version has some addional software packages already installed?

(Last edited by Geraner on 11 Feb 2017, 16:08)

Geraner wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for your answer!
One more question.
What is actually the different compared to the LEDE RC2 version, and your version?
Excapt that you may are been using new Wifi drivers than LEDE RC2.
Do I undstand, that LEDE is a more "naked/clean" software, while your version has some addional software packages already installed?

The best way I can explain it is that 3rd party builds are "snapshots" in time. Every day, improvements are made to the source code. In fact there are days where there can be 50 code improvements, or more, added to the source. So, if you have a "snapshot", the day the source code was downloaded and built, includes all the bug fixes, drivers, kernel changes, etc. to that that very day. Something that I do differently, is all of the packages for that specific snapshot are saved on the server and are not over written for the next snapshot. This can be a huge advantage for those who don't upgrade as often, and want to add/download and install packages to their builds at a later time because those packages for their specific snapshot will be there. Something else I do, when needed, is to include patches that may not be in the source code. One example would be the current nslookup patch. Currently there's a issue with busybox that doesn't play well with nslookup, and causes Dynamic DNS to fail to update. Okay, so what about an official release. Releases will include all of the latest updates, patches, kernel's etc, but they too are snapshots in time, in a technical sense, because they don't get the daily changes in the source code, drivers, etc. Official releases will only come out so often, and this may be one of the reasons why one will find snapshots and 3rd party snapshots as they usually contain newer code especially when it comes to wifi drivers.

Lastly, I tend to think of snapshots as being "bleeding edge", as opposed to Releases which when new are near the bleeding edge, but over time miss out on the fixes, driver updates, etc. That doesn't mean a Release shouldn't be used. Actually, releases can be a necessity, in many situations, depending on the requirements.

davidc502 wrote:

However, though RC2 has all possible packages available to download, I don't know what's built in by default. So, after installing RC2, you may need to install some of the packages that are needed. This usually isn't a big deal.. I might have some time tonight to install RC2, just to see what's included in the build.

Did you have time to check this David?
I would like to test the RC2 and maybe even the daily snapshot, just to see the differences.
But I'm afraid that packages will disappear and I may have to reconfigure the whole router from scratch again.

P.S.
I just saw that your "wrt1900acs-squashfs-sysupgrade" file has a size of 8.831 kB.
The "wrt1900acs-squashfs-sysupgrade" file for RC2 or the latest snapshot version of LEDE has a size of only 4.511 kB.
Why such a huge difference in package size? Looks like your firmware install package includes much more software than the LEDE defaut one.

(Last edited by Geraner on 12 Feb 2017, 10:39)

I went to go flash the ACM, and there appears to be an issue. It's an issue noticed the 2nd time it was flashed. Essentially, it refused to flash after being flash off of the Stock Firmware.

#1. Upgrading via the Gui doesn't work as the following message is received. It's a known issue. > . The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

#2.  Upgrading via systemupgrade failes. So, when you try to boot to the other partition this is the error message > Read error on /dev/mtd1: No error information and Error: can't write fw_env to flash

So, it looks like I will need to put a warning out on the ACM download site warning people that if they install LEDE, the only way to go to a new image will be to use the USB/TTL cable.

As for the LEDE RC2 image, it looks to be minimal, meaning it's a base OS, and that the user will need to install what they want from the GUI or opkg commands.

There's a video I'd like to put together on how to flash via the USB/TTL, and this might be the to do it.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 12 Feb 2017, 15:47)

I recently tested the RC1 image - it's barebone, even LuCI has to be installed from the command line...

davidc502 wrote:

I went to go flash the ACM, and there appears to be an issue. It's an issue noticed the 2nd time it was flashed. Essentially, it refused to flash after being flash off of the Stock Firmware.

#1. Upgrading via the Gui doesn't work as the following message is received. It's a known issue. > . The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

#2.  Upgrading via systemupgrade failes. So, when you try to boot to the other partition this is the error message > Read error on /dev/mtd1: No error information and Error: can't write fw_env to flash

So, it looks like I will need to put a warning out on the ACM download site warning people that if they install LEDE, the only way to go to a new image will be to use the USB/TTL cable.

As for the LEDE RC2 image, it looks to be minimal, meaning it's a base OS, and that the user will need to install what they want from the GUI or opkg commands.

There's a video I'd like to put together on how to flash via the USB/TTL, and this might be the to do it.

Hi if you make a vid on how to do it will you be talking as a vid with just picks will be no good to me as i cant see. If you don't want to talk on the vid then will you put a write up up on the site so i will know how to do it thanks. there is no rush tho mate as I am just useing it as a router so far, but i will want to flash when the new wifi driver comes out. I am now on Lede leviathan III SNAPSHOT r3063-f2e6e11 / LuCI Master (git-17.020.82842-e1edb10)
I flashed from stock to Gargoyle and then over to the build i am on now. I don't know if there is any thing on the other partition. I will try and boot from the other partition later. All so can you post me a link for a USB TTL pleas I would like to make sure that i get the rite one. Can you use a USB TTL cable with out soldering? If not i am scrood haha. soldering  my fingers would not be a good look!

@tapper

Yes, you can use the USB to TTL without soldering. This is the one I use and works just fine - 7 dollars on Amazon > https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-WINDOWS-Su … usb+to+ttl

*EDIT*

Flashing this method isn't hard. There are just a few concepts to understand, and just make sure the setup is right.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 12 Feb 2017, 17:48)

Sorry to be a pane mate, but could you point me to one in the UK. I did look on the UK site for the same brand but could not find one. Amazon UK is fine for me but it brings up about 16000 lol

tapper wrote:

Sorry to be a pane mate, but could you point me to one in the UK. I did look on the UK site for the same brand but could not find one. Amazon UK is fine for me but it brings up about 16000 lol

This one will do the job.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-TTL-Serial … STAP6MPYR5

thanks mate cable on way. Will do more asking of stuff when it gets here! smile

tapper wrote:

thanks mate cable on way. Will do more asking of stuff when it gets here! smile

Did you say it's currently locked and that you can't change images on the 3200acm?

Hey David, Impressive work out there! I would like to support LEDE project one day hopefully this year.

David, I was testing a  WRT1900AC v1 with your Moderately Customized Development [DD] Build (Released February 05, 2017) and I found out there is a leak of memory when you activate the protocol PPPoE for WAN. The router builds up its memory, and after 7 to 9 minutes, the router crashes out of memory (the watchdog didn't go off either).
There is something wrong with the communication itself because the router is not able to talk with a modem either. I used a clean installation and still persists.

I am about to test the openWRT version to see if it works.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you more. Than you David.

haverlok wrote:

David, I was testing a  WRT1900AC v1 with your Moderately Customized Development [DD] Build (Released February 05, 2017) and I found out there is a leak of memory when you activate the protocol PPPoE for WAN. The router builds up its memory, and after 7 to 9 minutes, the router crashes out of memory (the watchdog didn't go off either).
There is something wrong with the communication itself because the router is not able to talk with a modem either. I used a clean installation and still persists.

I'm using PPPoE for my WAN connection and I haven't seen this problem. I'm sure because wife and kids would have killed me smile

Regards

I also have NO problems using PPPoE.
Rock stable for weeks without memory leaks.

Thank you guys @aluisperezh @adri that is very odd then. I would be happy to record a video or send some logs if needed. The problem appears when the router is not connected or not receiving connection to/from the Modem. It is very subtle and can take up to 20min to crash sometimes.

(Last edited by haverlok on 15 Feb 2017, 03:53)

Driver007 wrote:

is it possible to get dvbt usb support?

I need to make https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ITE_IT9135 this usb to work whit cobra, and don't have any idea how sad

Looked over the site... let me just go ahead and rip the band-aid off and say, it doesn't look like a good candidate. However, development for LEDE/Openwrt is not my forte, so there may be others that are developers that would think differently.

You might check around.

davidc502 wrote:
Driver007 wrote:

is it possible to get dvbt usb support?

I need to make https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ITE_IT9135 this usb to work whit cobra, and don't have any idea how sad

Looked over the site... let me just go ahead and rip the band-aid off and say, it doesn't look like a good candidate. However, development for LEDE/Openwrt is not my forte, so there may be others that are developers that would think differently.

You might check around.

was googling around, found a lot of other people posts about dvbt, but all posts are old and outdated hmm

and remember, I tried latest build of yours, but wifi is dead on all devices, had to revert to older version, next day will try to analyze what was the problem.

@davidc502
Cannot get to your site where the builds are.
Does this mean new builds coming?

Actually, the server network was down for around an hour. It's back up now.

I've been working on a new build, but can't release it because users on the 1900ac V1 would likely have serious issues. Will be monitoring over the next few days to hear if there's a fix being worked on. If not, I'll revert the major kernel change, before rebuilding.

Hi David. I would like to test your latest build with Kernel 4.9.10. I have the WRT1900AC V1

Hi,

I flashed my Router from this "Mildly Customized Chaos Calmer [CC] Build (Released October 13, 2016)
Based on kernel version 3.18.36" build
to davidc502 Lede build for the WRT1900ac v1.

Flashing went ok i guess, i can get to the menu and i see the GUI however the ppoe connection does not work anymore.
Wireless works fine.

I tried flashing back to a different FW like stock or back to kal0z however i get this message:
The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

So technically my Router is a brick right now sad

Any idea what I could do?

(Last edited by tsuri19 on 22 Feb 2017, 13:01)

tsuri19 wrote:

Hi,

I flashed my Router from this "Mildly Customized Chaos Calmer [CC] Build (Released October 13, 2016)
Based on kernel version 3.18.36" build
to davidc502 Lede build for the WRT1900ac v1.

Flashing went ok i guess, i can get to the menu and i see the GUI however the ppoe connection does not work anymore.
Wireless works fine.

I tried flashing back to a different FW like stock or back to kal0z however i get this message:
The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

So technically my Router is a brick right now sad

Any idea what I could do?

CC with kernel 3.18.36 with all your settings is still on the router. Use the recovery method to revert back to it.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wr … e_recovery