OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi David, thank you for amazing job!!!
My WRT3200ACM works better than before on last r6520 build.
But few days ago I changed Wi-Fi card on my laptop to Intel 9260NGW and can't connect it to router in 160Mhz mode.
Works great on 80Mhz only (~550 upload/download on speedtest).
I tryed all channels but it didn't work, laptop didn't see the network.
Perhaps someone in this forum has encountered this problem.
I think it's a intel's driver trouble (now installed last 20.40.0), but maybe I need add special setting or package.
Thankful in advance for any help in solving this problem.
Very intresting to run it on hi speed:)

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my own language.

@sergosma does the laptop have enough antennas for 160? is 160 enabled on the router? did you try auto/manual width in intel driver setting for n mode?

Bad news for me... spent all my time with isolating a cause or issue with latest build on my wrt1900ac/v2

Setting up wifi was not an easy chore. Created the interfaces for 2.4 and 5 and setup, but the wifi showed disabled or unassociated. Removed everything and reset up.  Then was able to get the proper connection only on 2.4. But once I got 5GHz setup wifi won't assign ip, just sits there waiting.

May try a late Feb install to see what I am doing is wrong. Seems straight forward on both luci interfaces but it seems the new luci is a wee more forgiving on steps done in and around the menus.

So folks are aware... the 3200acm support Tri-Stream mode which increased the band width from 80mhz to 160mhz. If you have clients that won't connect when in 160mhz mode, it's likely the device doesn't support the extra width.

Also, after initiating 160mhz width, please verify the interface comes up first. This is because part of the band is allocated for DFS. This means that part of the band has to be clear of radar signals before the interface will come up. If you are in an area where radar is consistently being detected, you may discover issues with consistent connectivity. If the interface doesn't come up, please check the system and kernel logs, as Wifi will log the reason why the interface didn't come up. "Radar detected" is one example you might find in the logs.

I have also noticed in urban areas with saturated WiFi, that results in high RF interference the chip still has false positives on detected radar.

As of r6550, on the WRT3200ACM router overall and WiFi performance seems very stable. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz speeds for an assortment of devices and older Roku devices works quite perfectly close by or far away.

Hey all.  Couple of quick questions...

1) What mwlwifi driver + firmware version is in David's latest build?
2) What mwlwifi driver + firmware version is in the current OpenWRT snapshot?

How do I find these things out for myself in future? smile

I personally can't speak for David directly, I can say without a doubt he is using at least the same version OpenWrt snapshot builds are using.

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob … i/Makefile

PKG_SOURCE_VERSION:=b1b9a9e1c1beee30a8cce4038f4109727362ebe0

>> b1b9a9e <<

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commits/master

There is only two commits ahead of OpenWrt master source tree, in essence it is really only one due to it is only a pull request for to correct code for fix delay_q free on deinit.

I have tested both OpenWrt latest snapshot driver and latest commit from kaloz directly on my own builds, there is not any noticable difference that I can tell.

Two days ago the daily snapshot was up to the Commit for March 5th, but that may have changed since then. The new build used the commit up to March 18th which is the last commit.

Still, as rs.se said, I don't know how much of a difference it makes... Probably not much.

No problem, I was not questioning the freshness, just was about to attempt a build from master myself.  I was actually more concerned master might be behind David's build smile

I just installed the latest 03-25 build for the 1900acs and it seems the samba package is gone. Also I don't find it in the repo....

Any idea what's going on here? I really need that package

opkg update
opkg list | grep samba

returns nothing...

As a workaround I installed the packages (server, client, luci) from https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/snapshots/r6302
which seems to work fine

(Last edited by kkowrt on 26 Mar 2018, 19:42)

Brewder wrote:

When I upgraded my 1900ACv1 the wifi settings were a bit odd... So I rolled back.

I'm sure I can set everything up from scratch but I'm curious to hear how stable r6520 is on 1900ACv1 before I do all that.

//Brew

Just wanted to let you know that I'm running r6520 for 20 hours now... I needed to reset everything, because I could'nt get the wifi to work... So I did a factory reset and set everything back like I wanted...

This is the best firmware for 1900ACv1 yet. WiFi performance is stable and fast...

wasolk wrote:
Brewder wrote:

When I upgraded my 1900ACv1 the wifi settings were a bit odd... So I rolled back.

I'm sure I can set everything up from scratch but I'm curious to hear how stable r6520 is on 1900ACv1 before I do all that.

//Brew

Just wanted to let you know that I'm running r6520 for 20 hours now... I needed to reset everything, because I could'nt get the wifi to work... So I did a factory reset and set everything back like I wanted...

This is the best firmware for 1900ACv1 yet. WiFi performance is stable and fast...

Thanks for the reply!!  I did the upgrade and my wifi was screwed up.. so I recreated the wireless interfaces.  It was working great for 35 minutes, then I lost Internet connection...  Every other ping to 8.8.8.8 was being dropped for some reason.  This was on a hard wired machine NOT wifi.

I suspect I need to do exactly what you did... take the time to reconfigure everything from scratch if I want to get on this version.

//Brew

kkowrt wrote:

I just installed the latest 03-25 build for the 1900acs and it seems the samba package is gone. Also I don't find it in the repo....

Any idea what's going on here? I really need that package

opkg update
opkg list | grep samba

returns nothing...

As a workaround I installed the packages (server, client, luci) from https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/snapshots/r6302
which seems to work fine

Thanks ---  Yes, Samba was removed some time ago, but I checked the daily builds, and it is showing up there again, so I'll add it back.

Thanks for letting me know.

WRT1900AC v1 is still going strong after 24hours (this was a clean installation) and no issues to report.  Temp of the router is warmer than normal - with an average of 74.5C - and this is sitting in an air conditioned cupboard.  The physical case is also way warmer than normal to the touch also .. will be keeping tabs on that...

bytchslappa wrote:

WRT1900AC v1 is still going strong after 24hours (this was a clean installation) and no issues to report.  Temp of the router is warmer than normal - with an average of 74.5C - and this is sitting in an air conditioned cupboard.  The physical case is also way warmer than normal to the touch also .. will be keeping tabs on that...

Since you have the v1, there is an option to turn the fan in different varying degrees to help keep it cooler if needed. Things may have changed, but I think the v1 fan cuts on via the fan control script at 95C.

tinker with the fan control here >  /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh

Just lower both the CPU_LOW and CPU_HIGH values to have the fan kick on sooner.

Here's the temps on my 3200acm sitting pretty much idle right now.

root@lede:~# sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
temp1:        +48.6°C
temp2:        +50.6°C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +77.0°C

Adding another data point for r6520 on WRT3200ACM.  Installed IMG file from Linksys partition.  Configured SSH, PPPoE, DHCP, wireless, DNSCrypt-Proxy, and firewall.  Uptime of ~32 hours and counting with no issues in the logs.  Both wired and wireless performance has been very good across a range of devices on both frequencies.  Looks like a solid release, to me.

Thank you, David.

Hi,

David can you Share a link for working compatible samba.ipkg .?

Thanks

gu3d3s wrote:

Hi,

David can you Share a link for working compatible samba.ipkg .?

Thanks

Did you try to download from the daily builds?

If that doesn't work, I'll have the samba packages available to download off the site tomorrow.

I'm waiting. smile

I am still confused about the WiFi patch, there is a patch out on the net but it looks like it will only patch an old version of the driver, are you using an other patch or are you making the change yourself to the source code?

(Last edited by NamesAreAPain on 27 Mar 2018, 07:16)

Hi all.
David, i'm on a 1900ACS with your r5621-1064e76e4e release (should be safe to upgrade to last retaining settings?).
Is the fan control script usable on this version also?
I can't find /sys/devices/pwm_fan or /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1 ecc, so i guess not sad

davidc502 wrote:

Since you have the v1, ... snip ... tinker with the fan control here >  /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh

[OT]Any of you have experience about using one of ours linksys with an eth2sfp converter on the wan to manage an fiber channel connection? [/OT]
Thanks in advance
K.

NamesAreAPain wrote:

I am still confused about the WiFi patch, there is a patch out on the net but it looks like it will only patch an old version of the driver, are you using an other patch or are you making the change yourself to the source code?

I'm not sure which patch you are referring... If you are talking about what I'm doing with the wifi driver to keep latency low, then that is something I'm changing myself in the source code.

komodo_1 wrote:

Hi all.
David, i'm on a 1900ACS with your r5621-1064e76e4e release (should be safe to upgrade to last retaining settings?).
Is the fan control script usable on this version also?
I can't find /sys/devices/pwm_fan or /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1 ecc, so i guess not sad

davidc502 wrote:

Since you have the v1, ... snip ... tinker with the fan control here >  /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh

[OT]Any of you have experience about using one of ours linksys with an eth2sfp converter on the wan to manage an fiber channel connection? [/OT]
Thanks in advance
K.

Yes, you can upgrade and retain settings.

the 1900acs does not have a physical fan, so there won't be anything you can do with the script. The original v1 has a physical fan above the heat sink which can be manipulated.

Though I'm on fiber, it's switched over to ethernet with a ONT box outside the home. But no, I've never used eth2sfp, so I don't know how well it will work.

gu3d3s wrote:

I'm waiting. smile

The build failed last night.  I'll have to look at why when I get home tonight from work.

davidc502 wrote:
gu3d3s wrote:

I'm waiting. smile

The build failed last night.  I'll have to look at why when I get home tonight from work.

Hi David,

No problem, I would like to report that both WRTs are working very well without any problems (36 hours of update), and only yesterday the 1900ACS received a high number of devices and something I did not understand happened because the logs appeared IP. machines and other network, and some msg in the system log as a DHCP intrusion attempt.

but even with that the router and FW supported well and did not open IP for these IPs, today I will feralizar more calmly, and in case you need some information that you think can help, inform me and guide how to obtain them.

the WRT3200 is fine, I just think the temperature is higher than the previous one, because I had peaks of 95c taking that for a fan to relieve, and this with the system practically unused. I'm thinking of doing a modification in the ventilation system, or changing the thermal paste of the sinks or adptar one or two coolers.

Sorry, posts 5151 to 5150 are missing from our archive.