OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello,

I have a problem with my QOS / QSM on the WRT1900ACS and the last Vs. David/FW,  all my numbers on the DSLREPORTRS were worse, when I used a C7 / DD-WRT,

I use a fiber link of 50/10 mbits in PPPoE, and already tried several configs, with LEDE but all without a good result.

So I would like the help of the most experienced, indicating me the best standards and especially indicating me where to study more and better on this subject.

All help will be very welcome, and I already leave my thanks to everyone.

gu3d3s wrote:

Hello,

I have a problem with my QOS / QSM on the WRT1900ACS and the last Vs. David/FW,  all my numbers on the DSLREPORTRS were worse, when I used a C7 / DD-WRT,

I use a fiber link of 50/10 mbits in PPPoE, and already tried several configs, with LEDE but all without a good result.

So I would like the help of the most experienced, indicating me the best standards and especially indicating me where to study more and better on this subject.

All help will be very welcome, and I already leave my thanks to everyone.

I'm on TDS Fiber to the home, and only have a 300/300mbps connection, and like yourself Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet is used.  I've had zero issue getting full speed, so I'm wondering if this doesn't have something to do with QOS/QSM.

Have you tried disabling QOS and SQM to see what kind of a difference it makes?  I'm not talking about disabling it permanently, but just for a process of elimination.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/29477158.png

(Last edited by davidc502 on 19 Feb 2018, 20:45)

Villeneuve wrote:

Same'ol

I'm kinda up in the air about the V1 right now.  Since the reboot issue it's been nothing but a pain jumping through hoops to get it working... somewhat.

I just completed a new build on a different machine with a new .config, and the results were the same with samba-3.6.25 failing.  I couldn't find Samba in the daily snapshots over at LEDE/OpenWrt either. 

One of the developers is probably working on a fix.

*Edit*

The fail may be related to this on flyspray --  https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php … sk_id=1332

(Last edited by davidc502 on 19 Feb 2018, 21:47)

I haven't had any issues yet, but would like to hear how other people make out with it.  The build with Kernel 4.14 has been uploaded to the server. Keep in mind that Samba is not available.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/sn … u/generic/

(Last edited by davidc502 on 20 Feb 2018, 00:23)

davidc502 wrote:

I haven't had any issues yet, but would like to hear how other people make out with it.  The build with Kernel 4.14 has been uploaded to the server. Keep in mind that Samba is not available.

Hi David,

404 error code clicking that link

jefftk99 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Hi David,

404 error code clicking that link

I edited the post and fixed the link...

davidc502 wrote:

I gave it a try - from what I can tell, I am missing the "wireless" page under Network where I would configure and enable my radios.

Is there just a missing package or something? Here is what LuCI looks like: https://imgur.com/a/GI8Na

Thanks for the hard work!

AjkayAlan wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

I gave it a try - from what I can tell, I am missing the "wireless" page under Network where I would configure and enable my radios.

Is there just a missing package or something? Here is what LuCI looks like: https://imgur.com/a/GI8Na

It looks like the wireless configuration doesn't exist, and probably just needs to be rebuilt. 

My guess is if you run ether of these commands they will not work.

cat /etc/config/wireless   <<< File probably doesn't exist
uci show wireless    <<< There's probably no configuration to read from.

there's a command to reset and rebuild wifi however, I'm having difficulty finding it.. will keep searching.

Hi the command to reset and rebuild wifi  is rm /etc/config/wireless and then wifi config

tapper wrote:

Hi the command to reset and rebuild wifi  is rm /etc/config/wireless and then wifi config

I gave that a shot, still looks like I am out of luck. After trying to regenerate, I am not getting any interfaces or anything:

root@OpenWrt:~# ls /etc/config/wireless
/etc/config/wireless
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless
root@OpenWrt:~# uci show wireless

AjkayAlan wrote:
tapper wrote:

I gave that a shot, still looks like I am out of luck. After trying to regenerate, I am not getting any interfaces or anything:

root@OpenWrt:~# ls /etc/config/wireless
/etc/config/wireless
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless
root@OpenWrt:~# uci show wireless

What build is on the other partition? Or what image were you using before?  Take a look at the Advanced reboot app, and see what's on the other partition. You might try booting over to it, and then flash again, but don't save any settings.

Same here with the latest experimental build on the wrt3200.  Did a factory install from the Linksys stock on the other partition and then reset to default just to be safe.  I even tried restoring my configuration from a previous backup....wireless did show up but the tabs had blank drop downs for most of the settings.

I also noticed that it wifi driver was older than I expected: kmod-mwlwifi - 4.14.18+10.3.4.0-20171214-1kmod-mwlwifi - 4.14.18. Not sure that helps but I thought I'd pass the info along.

seahawk wrote:

Same here with the latest experimental build on the wrt3200.  Did a factory install from the Linksys stock on the other partition and then reset to default just to be safe.  I even tried restoring my configuration from a previous backup....wireless did show up but the tabs had blank drop downs for most of the settings.

I also noticed that it wifi driver was older than I expected: kmod-mwlwifi - 4.14.18+10.3.4.0-20171214-1kmod-mwlwifi - 4.14.18. Not sure that helps but I thought I'd pass the info along.

I've seen the blank drop downs before, and is fixable... Take a look at your wireless config really well.  Also, take a look at your wireless radio path.. See if it looks like the one below.

wireless.radio0.path='soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'

davidc502 wrote:

What build is on the other partition? Or what image were you using before?  Take a look at the Advanced reboot app, and see what's on the other partition. You might try booting over to it, and then flash again, but don't save any settings.

My other partition has the latest Linksys stock. I did try booting over to it and booting back without any luck. I also tried resetting all settings via LuCI but it didn't fix it.

I will try reflashing tomorrow.

AjkayAlan wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

My other partition has the latest Linksys stock. I did try booting over to it and booting back without any luck. I also tried resetting all settings via LuCI but it didn't fix it.

I will try reflashing tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.... So far we have 2 who came from Linksys stock firmware with a similar wifi issues. Yours seems to be a harder issue to solve.

David, how did you guess?  My radio path looks exactly like the one you posted.   All other information looks to be OK in the config, except possibly the hwmode. I did read somewhere that those values aren't as clear as you might think.  Also it's only the mode, Band, Channel and Width drop downs that are clear with no selectable options..

davidc502 wrote:

Thanks for the info.... So far we have 2 who came from Linksys stock firmware with a similar wifi issues. Yours seems to be a harder issue to solve.

Make that 3. Testing on a 1900acsV2 here. I always go back to stock firmware on the other partition before loading your builds. Just tried your test version this afternoon. No access to wifi in LuCI at all. Could not take the time to play with it as the family would have killed me.

davidc502 wrote:
AjkayAlan wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

It looks like the wireless configuration doesn't exist, and probably just needs to be rebuilt. 

My guess is if you run ether of these commands they will not work.

cat /etc/config/wireless   <<< File probably doesn't exist
uci show wireless    <<< There's probably no configuration to read from.

there's a command to reset and rebuild wifi however, I'm having difficulty finding it.. will keep searching.

I am still on r5917 on the 3200 and just noticed I have the same issue. /etc/config/wireless does exist and WiFi is working flawlessly, BUT I simply cannot see the configuration page in LuCI. I normally change settings in the config file itself so unfortunately I cannot tell when this problem first occurred.

Edit: It's been a long time and probably a dozen or so of OpenWRT and LEDE releases since stock firmware...

(Last edited by floydburgermcdahm on 20 Feb 2018, 11:00)

Hey my dear,

I am sure that I am much longer part of this post as you think.

So keep your "correction" for your self!

If there is written Hey David than I ment David. And that have a reason why I wrote direct to him and not asked generally!

Third radio, really? Isn´t it a gasstation to refill my mobile?

It is not the point that any client use yet the 160mhz, why than have this setting if not usable?!

One thing is so bad about forums, unqulified answers just to write something where the people than screem after two years " Oh yeah I have 2899 posts and you?".

Never mind, I gues you didn´t read the post otherwise you would have seen my posts years ago already.

ninjaef wrote:

What client of yours uses 160mhz? What's the wifi hardware card/model/name?

The antenna is for third radio. You are reading this thread...no?  Lol

NeuerLinuxfan wrote:

Hei David,

just did the reflash with the latest from your repository on the wrt3200acm.
As far I can see the problem with the 5 ghz wlan @ 160 mhz setting is still present. It do not start.

What are the current "best" settings to use regarding performance and stability?

I needed to open the wrt3200 from a client and there I have seen there is an extra 5th antenna (pcb antenna). Looks like some kind of bluetooth. What is that and can it be used for something?

Regards

davidc502 wrote:
NeuerLinuxfan wrote:

Hei David,

just did the reflash with the latest from your repository on the wrt3200acm.
As far I can see the problem with the 5 ghz wlan @ 160 mhz setting is still present. It do not start.

What are the current "best" settings to use regarding performance and stability?

I needed to open the wrt3200 from a client and there I have seen there is an extra 5th antenna (pcb antenna). Looks like some kind of bluetooth. What is that and can it be used for something?

Regards

Keep in mind, when wifi is started in the 160mhz width, DFS rules take over. The wifi radio will not turn on until it listens, and determines there's not radar. This process can take up to 5 minutes or more.  If it can't find a clear channel, it will not start, so just beware.

Bluetooth module is not compiling. I tested it with a fresh .conf and bluetooth failed to compile last nigh... Unknown reason as I haven't looked into it.

I've found 5Ghz with 80mhz width on Auto works best for me as it will bounce around during the day finding the best frequency - Including DFS frequencies.  If you need absolutely no drops, then set the SSID for a particular frequency and don't select auto.

2.4Ghz is usually saturated in neighborhoods, so depending on the time of day speeds can be slow.  If you're fortunate enough to be out in the woods away from other homes, the 2.4Ghz spectrum is really good, but must slower than the 5Ghz AC.

Thanks David,

yes I remember that it was recognized as bluetooth device in the past. Would be cool to have this opportunity to connect as well. I am thinking there more about IoT. I am currently playing a lot with microcontrollers and the wifi setup takes a lot of memory always so I am forced than to use a device with more memory which of course is more expensive.

However, the radio seems to be stable now with your last public compile! Thanks! ;-)

I still have trouble with compilation and in hell I don´t find the reason why. randomly packages fails to compile even without touching the defaults. So I gave up this point.

One of my clients have a huge problem with wifi so I sold him the wrt3200acm and damn, still the same problem. There are a lot of clients in the nieghbourhood but this can not be the reason why the signal strength goes down after 5 meters to almost have without anything in the way!
Any Idea why? It is a wooden house by the way, no steel at all. I ordered now a measure device to find out if there are maybe some stringer signals which destroys the wifi signal.
The strange thing is that the mobile antenne is in view and the 4g signal is going up and down as well.
No high voltage powerline in the near as well.

Have you heared that there are comming "bad" signals over the usal 230 v power net which affects wifi?

// Regards

davidc502 wrote:

@davidc502
Thx for this new 4.14 test build, I can confirm i also experience WIFI problems.

The systemlog displays the error below:
Tue Feb 20 21:22:11 2018 kern.warn kernel: [   13.292975] mwlwifi: Unknown symbol vfs_write (err 0)
Tue Feb 20 21:22:11 2018 kern.warn kernel: [   13.342361] mwlwifi: Unknown symbol vfs_write (err 0)
Tue Feb 20 21:22:11 2018 kern.warn kernel: [   13.382506] mwlwifi: Unknown symbol vfs_write (err 0)
Tue Feb 20 21:22:11 2018 kern.warn kernel: [   13.433130] mwlwifi: Unknown symbol vfs_write (err 0)

This problem is already known and seems to be solved.
See this thread: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/259

Router: WRT1900ac v1
Firmware: @davidc502 build Lede SNAPSHOT r6177-6c2e1ff80f

(Last edited by racef@ce on 20 Feb 2018, 22:07)

Hello,

finally today it was possible to install in my WRT3200, immediately only the network in 160Ghz did not work, however after setting at 80Ghz and resetting the router everything worked fine.

As the same is used in a different ISP and with a faster link of 200/100 mbits fiber to performance is higher than the WRT1900, during the week I will be doing bigger tester and finalizing the configuration, I will send the topic informed because it has a high usage of devices on this router I believe it is possible to help David in the tests of his Vs.

no more would like help or guidance to configure a VPN server, and how incredible it seems the Upnp does not recognize the DVR and printer and central alarm, but that a read in the WIKI should solve.

Ps.>: I know that this modification should be done in LUCI, but to show the temprations in the overview page would be very paratic, I will do the suggestion in the forum developer, however I believe that if a developer like Davis also suggests have a greater power.

one more time, congratulations on your hard work