OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

bill1228 wrote:

@david
Currently running Brainslayer's latest, r33555, on my wrt3200. Folks are not reporting issues and it appears to me he has the latest firmware installed.  Has been running fine for me for 2 plus days. Here is a dump. MAC modified of course.

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mwlwifi/info

driver name: mwlwifi
chip type: 88W8964
hw version: 7
driver version: 10.3.4.0-20170810
firmware version: 0x09030008
power table loaded from dts: no
firmware region code: 0x10
mac address: 60:38:e0:xx:xx:xx
2g: enable
5g: enable
antenna: 4 4
irq number: 46
ap macid support: 0000ffff
sta macid support: 00010000
macid used: 00000001
radio: enable
iobase0: e0c00000
iobase1: e0e80000
tx limit: 1024
rx limit: 16384

Thanks for the report Bill!

davidc502 wrote:

I've now reverted back to the previous mwlwifi firmware for the 3200acm.  Will run this for a few days and monitor the logs.

Essentially, the router ran for 24 hours before dropping 5Ghz wifi, along with high system load. I manually rebooted the system, and then the router ran for 48 hours before it rebooted on its own.

Maybe this is the process of elimination, where after reverting back to the old firmware wifi returns to normal. The only other thing I can think of is all of the hostapd changes due to the wpa2 vulnerability.

I have a 3200acm and 1900acs both running 5032 with zero issues on both.

If i can help test something feel free to let me know.

I can also confirm the last stable build of your's david before the hostapd/wpa2 fixes the newest firmware 9.3.8 did not have any of these problems either, unknown if it is the LEDE trunk fixes for wifi security or driver that is at fault for these current problems.

Does DD-WRT have the new hostapd/wpa2 fixes, I have not heard of them going on a new image as of late.

rs.se wrote:

I can also confirm the last stable build of your's david before the hostapd/wpa2 fixes the newest firmware 9.3.8 did not have any of these problems either, unknown if it is the LEDE trunk fixes for wifi security or driver that is at fault for these current problems.

Does DD-WRT have the new hostapd/wpa2 fixes, I have not heard of them going on a new image as of late.

If you are talking about the "KRACK" fixes the answer is yes. Brainslayer's r33555 has this fix as well as latest firmware for wireless on the wrt3200acm.

WildByDesign wrote:
mike.bogdan wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

9.3.0.7 for those who would like to go back to the previous firmware.

forgive my ignorance with lede, as i am new to the system, but how to flash the 430kb bin file for firmware only...this isnt a full snapshot, so its not loading it the same as the 15mb full bin/img, right?

You have to log into your router with a program (such as WinSCP or similar) and directly replace the firmware file.

The location is:

/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8964.bin

Therefore you need to simply copy the firmware file over top of that to overwrite it.  In order for the new firmware to take affect, you need to reboot the router.

To determine which firmware version (+ driver version and more) your router is running, run the command:

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mwlwifi/info

That command can be run from WinSCP or similar program.

cool - thanks, super easy

forgot this is all linux based tongue

davidc502 wrote:
starrbuck wrote:

Mine rebooted again just over an hour ago.

If you get a chance, try the other firmware.

Indeed, I checked and I was on 9.3.0.7.  It's now on 9.3.0.8 and has been up for four hours.

starrbuck wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
starrbuck wrote:

Mine rebooted again just over an hour ago.

Indeed, I checked and I was on 9.3.0.7.  It's now on 9.3.0.8 and has been up for four hours.

Wait a second... that doesn't sound right.  The latest wifi drivers have 9.3.0.8 bundled in, and that's what should have been included to start with.

davidc502 wrote:
starrbuck wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Wait a second... that doesn't sound right.  The latest wifi drivers have 9.3.0.8 bundled in, and that's what should have been included to start with.

There ya go. Maybe the 9.3.0.8 did not make it into the build for some reason and is not happy with rest of new drivers? wink

The latest build does have 9.3.0.8 in it. SNAPSHOT r5113

starrbuck wrote:

I'm on 5117 and it came with 9.3.0.7.  I used this guide when building:

https://lede-project.org/docs/guide-dev … ild-images

The latest mwlwifi commit was not pushed by LEDE trunk, so to get the latest firmware in the build it required some adjustments prior to compiling.

davidc502 wrote:
starrbuck wrote:

I'm on 5117 and it came with 9.3.0.7.  I used this guide when building:

https://lede-project.org/docs/guide-dev … ild-images

The latest mwlwifi commit was not pushed by LEDE trunk, so to get the latest firmware in the build it required some adjustments prior to compiling.

There ya go.

BTW, it rebooted 90 minutes ago on the newest firmware.

24 hours on  9.3.0.7 and no issues to report.

Hello.

I want to flash the the 4.4 to my WRT1900ACv1 containing the WPA fix.

Can I do it through wireless?
Will the router WiFi be disabled after flashing?
The router is high up in the ceiling. it would be a pain to remove it and flash thru a cable and then put it back.

Relaxation wrote:

Hello.

I want to flash the the 4.4 to my WRT1900ACv1 containing the WPA fix.

Can I do it through wireless?
Will the router WiFi be disabled after flashing?
The router is high up in the ceiling. it would be a pain to remove it and flash thru a cable and then put it back.

1. No, don't flash through wifi - too risky.
2. No, it won't be disabled.

Highly recommend flashing from an Ethernet cable.

davidc502 wrote:

1. No, don't flash through wifi - too risky.

Why? As far as i see, in the LUCI flashing procedure, it's fully download firmware first, and then start flashing, but only if fw fully downloaded.
So even disconnect just cancel flashing, not brick the router.

I'm using 9.3.0.8 firmware without the KRACK patches (my routers are all AP's only) and never had any reboots.

uptime
 07:41:18 up 9 days, 13:54,  load average: 0.08, 0.04, 0.01

nitroshift

Hi David.

Just to let you know I am running R5113 on a 1200AC (V1) and so far it's been up for 3 days absolutely fine.

Keep up the good work smile

I flashed it thru wifi. then wifi wasnt enabled by default. went back to stock by OFF And ON 3x.

Relaxation wrote:

I flashed it thru wifi. then wifi wasnt enabled by default. went back to stock by OFF And ON 3x.

If you are flashing from stock you probably got the default openwrt SSIDs and not the one(s) you "expected".

This is one of the many reasons flashing through Ethernet is better.

(Last edited by WWTK on 23 Oct 2017, 12:55)

WWTK wrote:
Relaxation wrote:

If you are flashing from stock you probably got the default openwrt SSIDs and not the one(s) you "expected".

No SSID was broadcasting. I assume it was disabled by default like OpenWRT.

nitroshift wrote:

I'm using 9.3.0.8 firmware without the KRACK patches (my routers are all AP's only) and never had any reboots.

uptime
 07:41:18 up 9 days, 13:54,  load average: 0.08, 0.04, 0.01

nitroshift

Thanks nitro.

Are you testing the 3200acm?  So far the reports we are hearing is with it.

Relaxation wrote:
WWTK wrote:
Relaxation wrote:

Then I guess you could open the bin file with 7zip and include the uci commands to enable the wireless somewhere near the end of the process maybe in the rc.local script.

or

Use Ethernet.

went back to DDWRT in the meantime. I just want a stable build with the Krack fix.

WWTK wrote:
Relaxation wrote:
WWTK wrote:

Then I guess you could open the bin file with 7zip and include the uci commands to enable the wireless somewhere near the end of the process maybe in the rc.local script.

or

Use Ethernet.

That's a good idea and I didn't think about it....

I'm thinking another way would be to download the .bin or .img to the /tmp directory and issue the command to upgrade. Since it's all local to the router, it should be okay invoking from wifi.