OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@david, since LEDE is being renamed to OpenWRT, do you know how github is going to work?  The LEDE github has still been getting updates, although it seems to me maybe not quite as many as usual, and the OpenWRT github has had basically no activity in ages. 

Will they simply leave github as-is, or copy the entire LEDE project over to the openwrt github?  Any idea?

Lastly, does openwrt have any commits that LEDE does not have that may be cherry-picked into LEDE when it is renamed, or when LEDE was created was it simply branched off of openwrt so it should already have everything openwrt has since there has been basically no commits to openwrt in months?

(Last edited by starcms on 28 Aug 2017, 01:00)

starcms wrote:

@david, since LEDE is being renamed to OpenWRT, do you know how github is going to work?  The LEDE github has still been getting updates, although it seems to me maybe not quite as many as usual, and the OpenWRT github has had basically no activity in ages. 

Will they simply leave github as-is, or copy the entire LEDE project over to the openwrt github?  Any idea?

Lastly, does openwrt have any commits that LEDE does not have that may be cherry-picked into LEDE when it is renamed, or when LEDE was created was it simply branched off of openwrt so it should already have everything openwrt has since there has been basically no commits to openwrt in months?

I haven't heard of any details, to this point, except what I've read from others on this board. Seems you know as much as I, so it will be interesting to find out how everything ends up getting sorted in the end.

@david,

Remember how I had asked for diffutils to be included in your next build and you said it would be (so that the script that shows which packages were added and/or removed would work because it uses the diff command)?

There is another way.  Instead of including the diffutils package, you can simply enable the diff command in busybox.

In the file package/busybox/config/editors/Config.in, lines 30, 31, and 32 are:

config BUSYBOX_CONFIG_DIFF
      bool "diff"    
        default n

If you change it to default y, then we will have the diff command without all the extra unneeded stuff the diffutils package adds. 

It used to be enabled, but was disabled by this commit to save 10k of space lol:  https://github.com/lede-project/source/ … ee01d94ee6

So that is another, better option I think of enabling the diff command instead of including the package diffutils.

(Last edited by starcms on 28 Aug 2017, 05:31)

I have tried the forget SSIDs and it still happens.
It is related as Chrome never crashes when im on DDWRT or Linksys fw.

Now that DNSCrypt is built into Luci.
Do we just need to configure the 2 revolvers and then add them to forward DNS options and thats it?
What if we want to disable DNSCrypt?

nekromantik wrote:

Do we just need to configure the 2 revolvers and then add them to forward DNS options and thats it?

Please read instructions here:  https://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/dnscrypt

However, with the LuCi DNSCrypt app, you can make all the necessary changes from LuCi (under the advanced tab) instead of having to use SSH.  If you are using more than one dnscrypt resolver (which is highly recommended in case one goes down), I also recommend adding the line:

option allservers '1'

to the config dnsmasq section of /etc/config/dhcp.

(Last edited by starcms on 28 Aug 2017, 16:24)

starcms wrote:
T-Troll wrote:
BIOHazard87 wrote:

Does anyone else have issues with 40mhz not working on 2.4ghz?
Does me using 80mhz on 5ghz have anything to do with it? Thanks

@starcms - he have 1900v1 - see in signature.

@BIOHazard87 - yes, noscan should help. However, i recommend to put this option in BOTH radio interface sections.
Additionally, you can use reghack2 (search for link in this thread) for capping transmitters power to 30db (you can always decrease it later in settings).
But be careful - noscan violates FCC rules, it's not a problem in most countries, but some can complain about it (f.e. don't do it in Singapore).

What's the point of enabling noscan on the 5GHz radio in addition to the 2.4GHz radio (on both radios)?  By definition: "noscan: Do not scan for overlapping BSSs in HT40+/- mode."  Enabling it on the 5GHz radio would most likely do nothing, but it could possibly cause issues.  I wouldn't recommend it.  The 5GHz radio already works properly when set to 20, 40 or 80MHz.

I have tested it myself and enabling noscan only on the 2.4GHz radio allowed 40MHz bandwidth to work on 2.4GHz.  However, you are definitely correct about the FCC. "Turning [noscan] on will violate regulatory requirements!"

source: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless

"noscan" was implemented on WRT1900ACSv2, WRT1900ACv1 and WRT1200ACv2.   2.4 Ghz radio is now working correctly for 40MHz on all three devices.

As a note, 5GHz radio was already running 80MHz correctly so "noscan"was not implemented

(Last edited by jefftk99 on 28 Aug 2017, 16:53)

starcms wrote:

@david,

Remember how I had asked for diffutils to be included in your next build and you said it would be (so that the script that shows which packages were added and/or removed would work because it uses the diff command)?

There is another way.  Instead of including the diffutils package, you can simply enable the diff command in busybox.

In the file package/busybox/config/editors/Config.in, lines 30, 31, and 32 are:

config BUSYBOX_CONFIG_DIFF
      bool "diff"    
        default n

If you change it to default y, then we will have the diff command without all the extra unneeded stuff the diffutils package adds. 

It used to be enabled, but was disabled by this commit to save 10k of space lol:  https://github.com/lede-project/source/ … ee01d94ee6

So that is another, better option I think of enabling the diff command instead of including the package diffutils.

Thanks for the heads-up on this... I'll start looking at it.

For your script, did you say the root directory (/root) is backed up in the configuration? Maybe I misunderstood?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 28 Aug 2017, 17:20)

@starcms you are a real pusher ! smile keep on good work ! smile

starcms wrote:
nekromantik wrote:

Please read instructions here:  https://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/dnscrypt

However, with the LuCi DNSCrypt app, you can make all the necessary changes from LuCi (under the advanced tab) instead of having to use SSH.  If you are using more than one dnscrypt resolver (which is highly recommended in case one goes down), I also recommend adding the line:

option allservers '1'

to the config dnsmasq section of /etc/config/dhcp.

thanks

davidc502 wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up on this... I'll start looking at it.

For your script, did you say the root directory (/root) is backed up in the configuration? Maybe I misunderstood?

No, /root/ isn't backed up by default.  However, I keep my scripts in /root/ and in LuCi if you go to System --> Backup / Flash Firmware and click on the Configuration tab, you can add files and directories to be added to the backup, so I have added /root/ there so that it is included in the normal backup/restore and keep settings processes. You can then click on the Open List button and it will show all automatically and manually (as just described) files and directories that will be backed up/restored.

(Last edited by starcms on 28 Aug 2017, 22:13)

jefftk99 wrote:

"noscan" was implemented on WRT1900ACSv2, WRT1900ACv1 and WRT1200ACv2.   2.4 Ghz radio is now working correctly for 40MHz on all three devices.

Could you elaborate on this?  It was implemented in what or how?  In the mwlwifi driver?  And why in only those 3 models?

I see no reason why it would be added to the WRT1900ACSv2 (reads power table from eeprom), WRT1900ACv1 (reads power table from firmware), and WRT1200ACv2 (reads power table from eeprom), but not implemented in all the other models: WRT1200ACv1, WRT1900ACv2, WRT1900ACSv1, since the models you listed read the power table from both eeprom and firmware, and have seemingly nothing specific in common, especially with the WRT1900ACv1 thrown in there which is sooo different from all other models in the WRT1200/1900ac/acs series.

Last time I checked about 6 months ago (I don't use 40MHz on 2.4GHz, too congested), the only way that 40MHz actually worked on my WRT1200ACv1 (and didn't just show as set to 40MHz in LuCi or in the config file) was to enable the noscan option on the 2.4GHz radio.

I highly doubt it would have been automatically added to/enabled on any models, since enabling it violates FCC/regulatory rules.

EDIT: I think I just got what you meant.  Did you mean you added the noscan option and was just confirming that it did enable 40MHz on 2.4GHz? lol smile ::duh::

If so, that's good to know it works on the newer devices that read the power table from eeprom too.

(Last edited by starcms on 28 Aug 2017, 22:30)

starcms wrote:
jefftk99 wrote:

Could you elaborate on this?  It was implemented in what or how?  In the mwlwifi driver?  And why in only those 3 models?

I see no reason why it would be added to the WRT1900ACSv2 (reads power table from eeprom), WRT1900ACv1 (reads power table from firmware), and WRT1200ACv2 (reads power table from eeprom), but not implemented in all the other models: WRT1200ACv1, WRT1900ACv2, WRT1900ACSv1, since the models you listed read the power table from both eeprom and firmware, and have seemingly nothing specific in common, especially with the WRT1900ACv1 thrown in there which is sooo different from all other models in the WRT1200/1900ac/acs series.

Last time I checked about 6 months ago (I don't use 40MHz on 2.4GHz, too congested), the only way that 40MHz actually worked on my WRT1200ACv1 (and didn't just show as set to 40MHz in LuCi or in the config file) was to enable the noscan option on the 2.4GHz radio.

I highly doubt it would have been automatically added to/enabled on any models, since enabling it violates FCC/regulatory rules.

EDIT: I think I just got what you meant.  Did you mean you added the noscan option and was just confirming that it did enable 40MHz on 2.4GHz? lol smile ::duh::

If so, that's good to know it works on the newer devices that read the power table from eeprom too.

;-)

@those using 40MHz on 2.4GHz,

Are you living out in the country or in a city or suburb?  If in a city or suburb (where there are guaranteed to be tons of other 2.4GHz APs in your vicinity), did you actually gain any speed by switching to 40MHz?

starcms wrote:

@those using 40MHz on 2.4GHz,

Are you living out in the country or in a city or suburb?  If in a city or suburb (where there are guaranteed to be tons of other 2.4GHz APs in your vicinity), did you actually gain any speed by switching to 40MHz?

I am in suburb and it doubled one of my laptops speeds from 70 to 140 mbit. Speed may also be dependent on time of day, haven't tested that theory out fully.

starcms wrote:

What's the point of enabling noscan on the 5GHz radio in addition to the 2.4GHz radio (on both radios)?

Seems like it's undocumented, but for me it switch sub-channel selection behavior for 5G/80 as well, if other network overlaps yours. You can see it in wifi scanner - channel distribution changes if you enable it. Anyway, it doesn't bring any harm.

Hi, davidc502,

First of all, thanks for so excellent work !

I have few questions about this particular build for Linksys WRT1900ACv2.

1) Do I need fan_ctrl.sh script ?

2) I have watchdog script which monitors hangs and restarts network.

logread -l 100 | grep -n "IEEE 802.11: did not acknowledge authentication response"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
   /etc/init.d/network restart
fi

Are log outputs are in same format in your build ?

LinuksGuru wrote:

Hi, davidc502,

First of all, thanks for so excellent work !

I have few questions about this particular build for Linksys WRT1900ACv2.

1) Do I need fan_ctrl.sh script ?

2) I have watchdog script which monitors hangs and restarts network.

logread -l 100 | grep -n "IEEE 802.11: did not acknowledge authentication response"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
   /etc/init.d/network restart
fi

Are log outputs are in same format in your build ?

@LinuksGuru

1. No, you do not need a fan script, as there is no physical fan present on the heat sink of the V2.
2. If you have been using LEDE, the answer is yes as these are based/built on LEDE source code.

Glad everything is working well.

what happen to the guest wifi for childern  wrt1900ac v1? thanks for all of your work.

gradysmith8712 wrote:

what happen to the guest wifi for childern  wrt1900ac v1? thanks for all of your work.

I'm not 100% sure of the question, but I did plan on doing a guest wifi, but never put in the time to do it.  I have one of my own, and basically did it from a well known script located in the OpenWrt website, so wasn't sure how important it was.

It's been close to a year, but did it with the UCI script on the following page.  https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan

@davidc502
Thanks for all your efforts in helping out bring the best to this community!

I presently run your latest build r4707-3e6d303 on WRT3200ACM and I'm having some problems with the following errors when trying to switch partitions:

# fw_setenv boot_part 2
Read error on /dev/mtd1: No error information
Error: can't write fw_env to flash

Is there a solution to resolve this and please, can you also confirm that sysupgrade is working correctly?
Thanks!

omostan wrote:

@davidc502

I presently run your latest build r4707-3e6d303 on WRT3200ACM and I'm having some problems with the following errors when trying to switch partitions:

# fw_setenv boot_part 2

Is there a solution to resolve this and please, can you also confirm that sysupgrade is working correctly?
Thanks!

I'm not @david, but, yes sysupgrade (and keep settings) is working correctly. 

However, to fix that issue, you probably will have to install LEDE from scratch (Flash LEDE using the .img file and SSH or revert to stock Linksys firmware and flash LEDE using .img file).  You most likely have something corrupted that can't be fixed without flashing the full .img.  I've never seen that issue before.

(Last edited by starcms on 30 Aug 2017, 05:47)

starcms wrote:
BIOHazard87 wrote:

Does anyone else have issues with 40mhz not working on 2.4ghz?

Does me using 80mhz on 5ghz have anything to do with it? Thanks

You have to modify a config file to enable 40mhz on 2.4ghz.  It has nothing to do with 5ghz being at 80mhz.  Let me see if I can find the setting for you...

However, unless you live way out in the country, there will be so much interference on 2.4ghz that you may actually experience slower speeds at 40mhz compared to 20mhz.

Edit: You have to edit your /etc/config/wireless file and add the line:

option noscan '1'

under " config wifi-device 'radio1' " (if you have a mamba, 1900AC V1 model, it may be need to be placed under "config wifi-device 'radio0' " instead.  You'll know you got the right one if the option for channel number is between 1 and 11).  Be sure to place it under " config wifi-device 'radio1' " and not under " config wifi-iface 'default_radio1' ".  Again, it should be placed in the section where you see "option channel 'x' " with x being a number between 1 and 11.

If this still doesn't get it working, there is one more thing you will need to do that is a little more complicated, but not much.  Add that line, reboot your router, and if it still isn't working on 40MHz on 2.4GHz let me know and I'll show you the other step. 

However, what model router do you have?  If you have a 1200AC V2, 1900ACS V2, or 3200ACM and adding the noscan 1 option doesn't work, there is nothing else that can be done.  NEVERMIND, I just saw your signature.  With the 1900AC V1, if the second step is necessary, it can be done pretty easily.  However, since you do have the 1900AC V1, I'm not sure if the noscan 1 option belongs under config wifi-device 'radio1' or 'radio0'.  As I said before, look at the option for the channel number to be able to determine which is the 2.4GHz radio and be sure to put it under that one.

Unfortunately  I have pretty limited knowledge of LEDE hmm. I am a previous DD-WRT/Tomato user, liked it for its simplicity but those are simply not stable. Is there a tutorial for SSH based around LEDE that you know of? While searching I couldn't find anything great. I think I'd have to enable SSH functionally or get a client for it, not sure, like I said I'm pretty oblivious. Thanks.

(Last edited by BIOHazard87 on 30 Aug 2017, 12:02)

starcms wrote:
omostan wrote:

@davidc502

# fw_setenv boot_part 2

Thanks!

I'm not @david, but, yes sysupgrade (and keep settings) is working correctly. 

However, to fix that issue, you probably will have to install LEDE from scratch (Flash LEDE using the .img file and SSH or revert to stock Linksys firmware and flash LEDE using .img file).  You most likely have something corrupted that can't be fixed without flashing the full .img.  I've never seen that issue before.

@starcms

Thank you for the advice.
I am suspecting the cause of the problem to be the configurations from my previous device (WRT1900ACSv2).

On this post http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/le … 01546.html, regarding the same problem, the following question was asked:

What does your /etc/fw_env.config look like? Did you perhaps restore a
saved config backup at some point which could've contained that file?

This make think that, my problem originated from configurations on my previous device (WRT1900ACSv2) I restored on WRT3200ACM. During the initial flash of OpenWRT on WRT3200ACM, I eventually bricked my device. I had to use USB2TTL to unbrick the device. I suspect the restored configurations changed the size of the partitions and consequently resulting to this error.

If that is the case, do you think flashing the device with USB2TTL will restore the uboot to its original state? If not, what are my options?

Actually, someone on this thread had it before. Check here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 14#p351214

Thank you so much!

(Last edited by omostan on 30 Aug 2017, 14:49)

I do not know what the developers are doing there, but from the firmware to the firmware it becomes only worse these endless throwing and improvements to the wi-fi only make things worse for me. Everything worked fine on 40 MHz now on the last firmware I have to switch to 20