OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

PSA: Linksys has updated stock FW to address key security vulnerabilities for all WRT models except 1900ACv2:

linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=246427

Before someone shoots this down: only applicable to folks who like keeping (the latest) stock on one partition as a backup.

(Last edited by smmankad on 15 Aug 2017, 23:49)

First post, I was actually referred by a fellow dd-wrt forum member to ask how to update the wireless drivers and here is it already answered. Wow, you can’t beat that… So yes having never done it before YES the instructions being reviewed made perfect sense. I tested it and up and running with new driver.

Since you guys already answered the question I was going to ask could I ask another question??  I poked around am I’m trying to find a way to setup wireless scheduling. Over in dd-wrt land if the dd-wrt web interface isn’t available for wireless scheduling we could do with a simple script in commands and cron. So does LEDE have a way to do wireless scheduling? I’m running David’s current release on the WRT1900ACS (v1).  Thank you in advance.

(Last edited by 05dyna on 16 Aug 2017, 01:25)

05dyna wrote:

First post, I was actually referred by a fellow dd-wrt forum member to ask how to update the wireless drivers and here is it already answered. Wow, you can’t beat that… So yes having never done it before YES the instructions being reviewed made perfect sense. I tested it and up and running with new driver.

Since you guys already answered the question I was going to ask could I ask another question??  I poked around am I’m trying to find a way to setup wireless scheduling. Over in dd-wrt land if the dd-wrt web interface isn’t available for wireless scheduling we could do with a simple script in commands and cron. So does LEDE have a way to do wireless scheduling? I’m running David’s current release on the WRT1900ACS (v1).  Thank you in advance.

Have you looked at luci-app-wifischedule yet?

In the LuCi Gui > System > Software > click Update > In the filter box enter "wifi", and you will see the scheduler. From there click install, and it will be ready to go.

davidc502 wrote:

appreciate the feedback.....

May be a bit premature.... but have been testing consistently day and night, and the Android, Iphones, FireTV's, and laptops really like this new driver.  Download/upload speeds have been very consistent, and fast even during peak periods. I no longer experience the download slowdown during the evenings.  The two devices tested are the 1900acs and 3200acm.

I really have no idea what the mwlwifi commit that "Fixed comparison error" (https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit … 939a134ae5) that was included in 0810 affected, but I believe do believe it affected all models.  Maybe that had something to do with the better performance?  My only guess.

edit: Btw, when you get a chance, don't forget to update the website FAQ for updating mwlwifi with the latest version I posted on the previous page, so it doesn't sound like its only for users running kernel 4.9, plus other clarity issues fixed also.

(Last edited by starcms on 16 Aug 2017, 02:21)

@ davidc502 -that’s perfect, THANK YOU!

starcms wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

appreciate the feedback.....

May be a bit premature.... but have been testing consistently day and night, and the Android, Iphones, FireTV's, and laptops really like this new driver.  Download/upload speeds have been very consistent, and fast even during peak periods. I no longer experience the download slowdown during the evenings.  The two devices tested are the 1900acs and 3200acm.

I really have no idea what the mwlwifi commit that "Fixed comparison error" (https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit … 939a134ae5) that was included in 0810 affected, but I believe do believe it affected all models.  Maybe that had something to do with the better performance?  My only guess.

edit: Btw, when you get a chance, don't forget to update the website FAQ for updating mwlwifi with the latest version I posted on the previous page, so it doesn't sound like its only for users running kernel 4.9, plus other clarity issues fixed also.

Thanks -- made some adjustments.

By the way...  Have you noticed a difference with the new wifi driver?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 16 Aug 2017, 02:49)

And thank you so so so much @david for implementing the tweak in the driver to disable amsdu.  Apparently it will never be fixed... https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/207

edit: Doesn't look like it will ever get a proper fix, but apparently a way for a user to disable amsdu will be included in the future...and from reading other issue threads recently, it seems pretty much all support for the 88W8864 has pretty much come to an end and the only support will be band-aid fixes.

(Last edited by starcms on 16 Aug 2017, 03:41)

davidc502 wrote:

Thanks -- made some adjustments.

By the way...  Have you noticed a difference with the new wifi driver?

Nope, no differences here on my 1200AC.  But then again, I never had the issue you were experiencing with slower speeds at certain times of the day.

(Last edited by starcms on 16 Aug 2017, 03:44)

One question I've had for a while: We know that power tables are hard-coded into the 3200. I bought mine in Germany, and that means I can't go beyond 20 dBm on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. For now I've installed a couple of bad-ass, high gain directional antennas to cope with that. big_smile I was wondering, though, do the US models have different power tables i.e. up to 23 and 30 dBm, respectively?

This and this may be of interest.

Hello,
I have been using LEDE since first releases and neved had serius problems but yesterday - after 2 days of upgrade to the latest build (kernel 4.9.40 from 4.9.39) Luci stoped to work.
I can´t debug anythin, only this if I tunneling 80 port:
channel 3: open failed: connect failed:
I tried:
/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
/etc/init.d/uhttpd start
And reinstall luci packages.

Any idea?

Tanks

Newtman wrote:

Hello,
I have been using LEDE since first releases and neved had serius problems but yesterday - after 2 days of upgrade to the latest build (kernel 4.9.40 from 4.9.39) Luci stoped to work.
I tried:
/etc/init.d/uhttpd start

Any idea?

Tanks

Try completely dumping browser cache, and make sure to reconnect via HTTPS.
HTTP is not enabled. Though you can go back and enable it if needed.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 16 Aug 2017, 15:21)

davidc502 wrote:
Newtman wrote:

Hello,
I tried:
/etc/init.d/uhttpd start

Any idea?

Tanks

By 80 or 443 and using in both times HTTPS not luck...
I tested with a clean broweser.
Maybe a factory reset?

Newtman wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
Newtman wrote:

Hello,
I tried:
/etc/init.d/uhttpd start

Any idea?

Tanks

Maybe a factory reset?

You can try to reset and see if that fixes the issue, and then you can re-import a backup.

What does the following mean?

"only this if I tunneling 80 port"

Is a VPN being used to get to LuCi?

davidc502 wrote:
Newtman wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Maybe a factory reset?

You can try to reset and see if that fixes the issue, and then you can re-import a backup.

Today at night I will reset and restore my config.
When I´m in my office (now for example) I use to enter to Luci by SSH tunnel

Newtman wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
Newtman wrote:

Maybe a factory reset?

Today at night I will reset and restore my config.
When I´m in my office (now for example) I use to enter to Luci by SSH tunnel

Are you using X11 forwarding?

*Edit* I guess that would not be applicable since using HTTP/HTTPS.

However, are you changing any parameters in SSH to listen on a port (localhost) and then using your browser to proxy to that port (localhost), so that you can tunnel http/https traffic?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 16 Aug 2017, 16:25)

floydburgermcdahm wrote:

One question I've had for a while: We know that power tables are hard-coded into the 3200. I bought mine in Germany, and that means I can't go beyond 20 dBm on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. For now I've installed a couple of bad-ass, high gain directional antennas to cope with that. big_smile I was wondering, though, do the US models have different power tables i.e. up to 23 and 30 dBm, respectively?

Yes, the 3200ACM sold in the US allows power up to 30dBm on all 2.4GHz Channels (1 thru 11, 12 and 13 not available at all) and up to 23dBm on all 5GHz channels except for channels 149, 153, 157, and 161 where it allows 30dBm.

smmankad wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
smmankad wrote:

Hey everyone, @David,

Very glad to be here. I've been following the OpenWRT, then LEDE and now David's builds for a while. Yesterday, I decided to take the plunge. Note: I'm a long-time DD-WRT user who wants to switch permanently to LEDE. I have a WRT1900ACv1. And somehow no OpenWRT or LEDE build is giving me (stable) WiFi sad The WiFi would either come on for a few seconds and then turn off on its own. Or it would stay on, and no devices would be able to connect. So, I'm stuck with DD-WRT (or McDebian, which runs flawless as well). The funniest is that the router's never rebooted on me even once! (using the 4.9.x kernels)

Here's where/how things get murky across builds:
1. DD-WRT 07-08-2017-r32597 (Kernel 4.9.38)
-No reboots (last I had 8+ days uptime before I attempted @David's LEDE last night)
-Currently on 07-19-2017-r32753 and a solid 7+ hours uptime since I rebooted it last night post re-flash of DD-WRT when LEDE didn't work out.

2. LEDE/OpenWRT/David's LEDE (Used Kernels: 4.9.x as well as 4.4.x)
-Tried all three builds, and both kernel versions, but WiFi (both N as well as AC) is a non-starter right out the gate. I am lost as to why this is happening.

3. Notable mention: McDebian (Kernel:4.9.31)
-Flawless, just like DD-WRT (and no reboots here either)
-Unfortunately it isn't as frequently updated like the other two, so it's my backup smile

Router load:
1. WiFi AC
- 1 smartphone
- 1 laptop
2. WiFi N
- 2 smartphones
- 2 tablets
- 1 laptop
- 1 Amazon Fire Stick
3. Ethernet
- 1 desktop
- 1 NAS
- 1 XBOX ONE

Total devices handled: 11
Average devices powered and utilizing the network simultaneously: 6 (roughly 4 on WiFi, 2 over Ethernet)
Average temps observed: 69C - 74C (Oddly, while the fan does its spin cycle on power up, I have never seen it turn on any of the above builds for my temperature range. Hope that's normal - on any of the builds, I don't change the fan thresholds).

Last note: When erasing the NAND partitions (mtdX) for McDebian, mtd4 and mtd6 gave me a "bad block" warning, but proceeded to erase successfully and the router has be rock stable as noted above, barring allergy to LEDE/OpenWRT.

Any insights would be wonderful. I really love LEDE/OpenWRT from a technical standpoint, but my router won't let me switch sad

Thanks much in advance!

@smmankad

There's really no 1 thing to point at.  If there is no issue and things are good, then there's no reason to switch. Stay with what works for you and your device.

Best Regards,

Thank you, @David. It still bugs me though, as to why its so smile Can flashing through USB TTL make any difference? I don't see how it would, but I noted a couple of posts over in the main 1900AC thread claiming its "better". I usually prefer not opening up the device unless I actually bricked it.

Anyhoo - I guess I will stick to DD-WRT (and keep trying LEDE in between to see if I find a (future) build that begins working for me).

I really appreciate the awesome work that goes on around 3rd party FW.

Finally, its working! I was checking some very unnecessary checkboxes when setting up WiFi (my bad, totally).

Follow-up question/observation:
-When I revert to stock using the Advance Reboot (or the SSH command equivalents), I am unable to get DHCP over Ethernet (WiFi works fine). Is that why back to stock must always be done via sysupgrade -n ? (Does the '-n' do a deeper reset of configs?)
-When I revert using Advance Reboot, and flash stock from stock (overwriting LEDE), same thing happens - no eth DHCP. Its like once you put LEDE, it doesn't want you to go back. (DDWRT also exhibits same behavior as stock in terms of no DHCP over eth).

PS: I love LEDE - never going back to stock/DDWRT again. I only put forth the stock question out of curiosity,

hi all so I flashed the latest build again on my 1900ACSv2 via stock fw.
The partition had DD WRT on it before.

By mistake I installed the wrong wifi driver version so I did not reboot instead I installed correct one over it.
Rebooted.

Now I am getting stock like wifi speeds however not consistent.
So far issues are only on 5ghz AP.
Also randomly I loose all connectivity and have to switch to 2.4 ghz to reset the 5ghz channel back.
Anything I can show you guys to help me narrow down issue? I didnt see anything in logs.

EDIT:
I narrowed it down to DNS I think.
When the disconnection happens I can  ping 8.8.8.8 but websites dont work and time out.
I have to disconnect and re connect.

(Last edited by nekromantik on 16 Aug 2017, 21:04)

Villeneuve wrote:

This and this may be of interest.

starcms wrote:

Yes, the 3200ACM sold in the US allows power up to 30dBm on all 2.4GHz Channels (1 thru 11, 12 and 13 not available at all) and up to 23dBm on all 5GHz channels except for channels 149, 153, 157, and 161 where it allows 30dBm.

Thank you both. I guess I'll keep the German model for now, coverage and range are pretty ok with my antenna setup...

http://i.imgur.com/oaKtNEG.jpg

floydburgermcdahm wrote:

Thank you both. I guess I'll keep the German model for now, coverage and range are pretty ok with my antenna setup...

http://i.imgur.com/oaKtNEG.jpg

What type of antennas are those?  How is the performance with different types of antennas on the sides than on the back?

(Last edited by starcms on 17 Aug 2017, 09:28)

nekromantik wrote:

By mistake I installed the wrong wifi driver version so I did not reboot instead I installed correct one over it.
Rebooted.

Also randomly I loose all connectivity and have to switch to 2.4 ghz to reset the 5ghz channel back.
Anything I can show you guys to help me narrow down issue? I didnt see anything in logs.

EDIT:
When the disconnection happens I can  ping 8.8.8.8 but websites dont work and time out.

You are coming from DD-WRT?  Are you using the same name (SSID) for your AP in LEDE that you did in DD-WRT?   If so, did you try removing your AP/ssid from all your devices (delete it, any settings, etc from laptops, phones, etc) and then re-adding it fresh to see if that helps?  Sometimes this is needed for devices to see there is a change to the router and to get it working correctly.

(Last edited by starcms on 17 Aug 2017, 08:40)

smmankad wrote:

Finally, its working! I was checking some very unnecessary checkboxes when setting up WiFi (my bad, totally).

Follow-up question/observation:
-When I revert to stock using the Advance Reboot (or the SSH command equivalents), I am unable to get DHCP over Ethernet (WiFi works fine). Is that why back to stock must always be done via sysupgrade -n ? (Does the '-n' do a deeper reset of configs?)
-When I revert using Advance Reboot, and flash stock from stock (overwriting LEDE), same thing happens - no eth DHCP. Its like once you put LEDE, it doesn't want you to go back. (DDWRT also exhibits same behavior as stock in terms of no DHCP over eth).

Glad you figured out your issue and got LEDE working!

Regarding the stock Linksys firmware, you need to issue the following commands from LEDE before switching to it or flashing it to set the switch properties back to the way LInksys expects them to be:

a) Login to LEDE via SSH
b) Save the following to vlan.sh:

#!/bin/sh

swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 0
for port in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6; do
  swconfig dev switch0 port $port set qmode 0 
  swconfig dev switch0 port $port set pvid 0 
done

c) Run vlan.sh:

chmod ./vlan.sh +x ; ./vlan.sh

Taken from https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series

And yes, -n makes it not save the current config, so it is a clean install.  But even -n won't fix the above when reverting to stock Linksys firmware.

(Last edited by starcms on 17 Aug 2017, 09:28)

starcms wrote:
nekromantik wrote:

Rebooted.

EDIT:

You are coming from DD-WRT?  Are you using the same name (SSID) for your AP in LEDE that you did in DD-WRT?   If so, did you try removing your AP/ssid from all your devices (delete it, any settings, etc from laptops, phones, etc) and then re-adding it fresh to see if that helps?  Sometimes this is needed for devices to see there is a change to the router and to get it working correctly.

Yes using same SSIDs as DD WRT.
Will try removing them from laptop and seeing how it goes.