OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

davidc502 wrote:

Make sure EAPOL packet gets high priority <-  yuhhaurlin's new wifi commit.

New wifi driver commit has been compiled and available - kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.37+10.3.4.0.git-20170717-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk

Just as a Reminder -- This is to be used with r4576/ on Kernel 4.9.37.

Works great here.  I see you were able to change the version of the driver itself, not simply the ipk.  Great job!!

starcms wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

New wifi driver commit has been compiled and available - kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.37+10.3.4.0.git-20170717-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk

Works great here.  I see you were able to change the version of the driver itself, not simply the ipk.  Great job!!

OK, dumb question, or at least a beginners question. Am not sure of the process to install the above ipk. See some info on Openwrt site, about copying it to temp, etc. Don't want to mess up the router and have to reinstall if I can keep from it, but would like to see what , if anything, the update does.

Hey David / Anyone here ,

i followed the instructions in :

github.com/wolandmaster/luci-app-rtorrent

and i do have rtorrent running , great .

somehow i dont get the script that i added in /etc/init.d/rtorrent to run from Lede UI and/or when system boots.

its even working manually when i do :

/etc/init.d/rtorrent start

but fails to do it from lede UI from --> startup scripts --> START

i check everything ... its enabled in permission of the file.... no clue why its not running the script...

any clue ?

tnx!

robocide wrote:

Hey David / Anyone here ,

i followed the instructions in :

github.com/wolandmaster/luci-app-rtorrent

and i do have rtorrent running , great .

somehow i dont get the script that i added in /etc/init.d/rtorrent to run from Lede UI and/or when system boots.

its even working manually when i do :

/etc/init.d/rtorrent start

but fails to do it from lede UI from --> startup scripts --> START

i check everything ... its enabled in permission of the file.... no clue why its not running the script...

any clue ?

tnx!

It may be that it's trying to be started too soon.  Put in your script to delay trying to start by 15 seconds, and also redirect the output to the /tmp file so that you may see what's happening.

bill1228 wrote:
starcms wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

OK, dumb question, or at least a beginners question. Am not sure of the process to install the above ipk. See some info on Openwrt site, about copying it to temp, etc. Don't want to mess up the router and have to reinstall if I can keep from it, but would like to see what , if anything, the update does.

You can force the reinstall

opkg install /tmp/kmod-mwlwifi_NEW_blah_blah_blah.ipk --force-reinstall
reboot.

OR
Remove and install.

opkg remove kmod-mwlwifi_OLD_blah_blah_blah.ipk
opkg install kmod-mwlwifi_NEW_blah_blah_blah.ipk
reboot.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 21 Jul 2017, 13:36)

@david
Thanks. That was what I was thinking, but the key is the force-reinstall. That I would not have known.
Keep up the good work!!

david thanks !!

You are a professional and so helpful !! may you have amazing weekend !

p.s: i eventually installed transmission because its actually working if that may help someone.

(Last edited by robocide on 21 Jul 2017, 17:08)

robocide wrote:

david thanks !!

You are a professional and so helpful !! may you have amazing weekend !

p.s: i eventually installed transmission because its actually working if that may help someone.

Did you put in the sleep command into your startup script?

sleep 15

(Last edited by davidc502 on 21 Jul 2017, 17:45)

tnx for the sleep command... i just saw that the luci app of rtorrent is not working well so i switched to transmission and its working like a charm....

Tnx דויד !  smile

robocide wrote:

tnx for the sleep command... i just saw that the luci app of rtorrent is not working well so i switched to transmission and its working like a charm....

Tnx דויד !  smile

Good deal -- Have a good weekend.

@david
Did the install command for the new wireless driver as you directed on r476 on my wrt3200. Went just as it should and am now using
10.3.4.0-20170717 driver when I check the router.

Thanks, one more time for your efforts on giving us great firmware and also with being so helpful to us neophytes. Have a little experience with Linux, but not much.

bill1228 wrote:

@david
Did the install command for the new wireless driver as you directed on r476 on my wrt3200. Went just as it should and am now using
10.3.4.0-20170717 driver when I check the router.

Thanks, one more time for your efforts on giving us great firmware and also with being so helpful to us neophytes. Have a little experience with Linux, but not much.

Let me know if you notice any difference in Wifi.

Glad to be of help... I try to treat people as I would like to be treated, period! I've never understood the mentality of always trying to 1 up someone or talking down to others because of perceived knowledge level.

cheers,

awesome image David ! tx again !

to anyone who may want to try to upgrade the driver, and not quite sure how,

scp in and copy it to "tmp"

then putty in:

root@LEDE:~# cd /tmp
root@LEDE:/tmp# opkg install --force-downgrade kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.37+10.3.4.0.git-20170717-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 22 Jul 2017, 02:38)

Hi David ,

i've noticed something that maybe is related with the default DNS configuration ,
when i try to go to links that was created with :
bitly.com

i got error from browser :

bit.ly’s server DNS address could not be found.

should i configure something that will enable these links to be accessible ? maybe this should be a fix as well for the defaults.... tnx as always ! smile

robocide wrote:

Hi David ,

i've noticed something that maybe is related with the default DNS configuration ,
when i try to go to links that was created with :
bitly.com

i got error from browser :

bit.ly’s server DNS address could not be found.

should i configure something that will enable these links to be accessible ? maybe this should be a fix as well for the defaults.... tnx as always ! smile

What DNS servers are the clients pointed to?

I've tried 2 different DNS servers.

https://bitly.com/  <<< website I tried to get to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DNSCrypt Server

C:\Users\davidc502>nslookup bitly.com
Server:  lede.lan
Address:  192.168.2.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    bitly.com
Addresses:  67.199.248.15

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google DNS

C:\Users\davidc502>nslookup - 8.8.8.8
Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

> bitly.com
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Name:    bitly.com
Addresses:  67.199.248.15

(Last edited by davidc502 on 22 Jul 2017, 13:26)

First of all, much kudos and appreciation for work done by davidc502 (and all of you here!) for this LEDE build. I am another very grateful user, having just jumped across from another firmware over to your LEDE builds and am very much enjoying the improved performance and stability smile

I have r4576 installed on my WRT1900ACv1 (the 4.4 kernel version) and am wondering if anyone else is getting slow USB3.0 write speeds? I have a WD MyPassport plugged-in, and when transferring across a large file (2GB) I get a transfer rate between 700KB/s - 1.0MB/s. Reading a similar sized file I get 35MB/s which isn't anything stellar either.

Any ideas? I've tried the samba tweaks added mentioned earlier in this thread by adding the following to /etc/samba/smb.conf.template

aio read size = 16384
        aio write size = 16384
        aio write behind = true
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65535 SO_SNDBUF=65535
        smb encrypt = disabled

... but I don't think samba is the problem here? I've tried just doing a simple copy of a file on the device itself, and saw the same results. By this I mean:

cp test1.zip test2.zip

where test1.zip was 100MB in size. Took approx. 100 sec so it's the same 1MB/s write rate.

Is it anything to do with the fact that I am forced to use kernel 4.4.x  over  4.9.x on my v1 if I want to avoid the reboot issue?

Thanks in advance!
shmike

@shmike

It's not kernel related, but unfortunately USB transfers using SAMBA are CPU limited.

Thanks, @davidc502. That might explain SAMBA (and how horridly inefficient it might be when it results in 700k/s writes to a device that can handle 80MB/s!), but any ideas why writing is still so slow in my test when I took SAMBA out of the equation? Again, just duplicating a file on the USB3 HDD via shell saw the same poor file rate.

hey david , here it is :

C:\Users\Robocide>nslookup techcrunch.com
Server:  LEDE.lan
Address:  fd1c:43c4:6013::1

Name:    techcrunch.com
Addresses:  192.0.79.33

C:\Users\Robocide>nslookup bit.ly

*** LEDE.lan can't find bit.ly: Non-existent domain

C:\Users\Robocide>nslookup - 8.8.8.8
Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

> bit.ly
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com

Name:    bit.ly
Addresses:  67.199.248.10

> quit

C:\Users\Robocide>

shmike wrote:

Thanks, @davidc502. That might explain SAMBA (and how horridly inefficient it might be when it results in 700k/s writes to a device that can handle 80MB/s!), but any ideas why writing is still so slow in my test when I took SAMBA out of the equation? Again, just duplicating a file on the USB3 HDD via shell saw the same poor file rate.

run the command htop whilst doing a data transfer for both types, and see how much processor is being used.

Pay attention to #1 and #1 at the upper left hand corner of the screen.

robocide wrote:

hey david , here it is :

C:\Users\Robocide>nslookup techcrunch.com

Name:    techcrunch.com
Addresses:  192.0.79.33

C:\Users\Robocide>nslookup bit.ly

*** LEDE.lan can't find bit.ly: Non-existent domain

C:\Users\Robocide>nslookup - 8.8.8.8
Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com

> bit.ly
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com

Name:    bit.ly
Addresses:  67.199.248.10

> quit

C:\Users\Robocide>

What DNS server is the router pointed at?  For the short term you could map the host/IP in /etc/resolv.conf.  Just put the entry below nameserver 127.0.0.1.

my ISP dns servers (in my WAN interface i'm connected through PPOE - Default Settings):

DNS 1: 91.205.152.174
DNS 2: 91.205.152.204

is that may be the issue ?

(Last edited by robocide on 22 Jul 2017, 17:07)

robocide wrote:

my ISP dns servers (in my WAN interface i'm connected through PPOE - Default Settings):

DNS 1: 91.205.152.174
DNS 2: 91.205.152.204

is that may be the issue ?

Looks like those DNS servers do not want to resolve bit.ly.  Looks as those there may be malware floating around in this domain, so those DNS server could be trying to protect you, but it is hard to say for sure.

Virus Total's take on the domain bit.ly
https://www.virustotal.com/en/domain/bi … formation/

You can override by manually putting in the hostname/ip combination in /etc/resolv.conf

David smile thanks !

Thanks for Davids build. Bought 3200ACM as the best router existing (especially because of the desktop processing power) and tuned it properly to finally act like OpenVPN client for the whole network and "NAS" server. LEDE is absolutely horrible in configuration, everything needs to be tweaked on the command line. Doesn't hold a candle to ASUS Merlin in UI. Spent a month of two tunning, using mke2fs, bonnie, hdparm, tune2fs, dumpe2fs, smartctls, fdisk, cryptsetup, openssl, ssh, iptables tools and got what wanted:

- only SSH via keyfile & password and then sudo password to access root from outside
- IP restricted access from WAN to stupid clients (VPN bypass is so difficult, using "OpenVPN/WAN Policy-Based Routing" plugin but it works for domains only, so need to script iptables)
- HTTPS UI only from inside (LEDE user root to log in to UI - what??)
- blazing VPN speeds for all clients utilizing 90% of ISP speed (130Mbps), no need for i5/i7 Pro desktops to do the job anymore.. also mobile phones, while pretty fast, would othewise suffer speed degradation (cca -50%)
- *blazing NAS speeds for USB3 and eSATAp (yup, it's powered so a chinese 4$ cable is enough to connect a drive), using a single 2.5" 4TB RAID0 Seagate drive (reason: each spinning drive is -50% slower at the end, my setup guarantees 110MB/s samba speed *everywhere*)
- blazing multiple encrypted drives speeds on OpenVPN-grade encryption
- antivirus, adblocker, dnscrypt etc running
- custom scripts to monitor status of connected drives, internet connectivity and auto fix it, report this activity by changing LED diodes (color, graphic effect) in realtime (cute feature of Linksys)
- boosted WiFi signals, custom antennas etc etc
Looks good. Looks better than Asus GT router.

*Some guys wrote Samba slows down, not possible. Samba is bad in network discovery, bad in client interpretation (no thumbnails often), bad in failover (can get stuck, and confused by deleted files), but it uses full network link capacity. That's why i can enjoy perfect 90MB/s on SHA256 drive via Samba. And with journal. Toughest conditions only. 110-115MB/s on public drive. You get basically what you see in "openssl bench". No other router can do.
Other explanation can be: USB2, poor drive, poor filesystem driver (NTFS3G is a horrid crippled driver, you need a full version from Tuxera/Paragon, as in the stock firmware, but but.. they don't sell it separately). It can be investigated on router with available packages bwm-ng or bonnie.

Now all this happiness was followed by disappointment when i realized cannot save my configuration. So im not updating. I will wait for some magic build with NEON and final mwlwifi and go through the horror once again. Every little set up action matters, including every little file permission set, every init or hotplug script set, and this firmware just can't save the configuration. Sad! ASUS Merlin never ever disabled a single setting, and it's close to updating itself alone. LEDE, meanwhile, left me with corrupted upgrade I had to quit by tripple power off.

Thanks!

Sorry, posts 2751 to 2750 are missing from our archive.