OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: No DHCP lease from my ISP

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Mar 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Xotic750 wrote:

I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with the price of fish?

Everything.

Xotic750 wrote:

... the fact that it is a combo device is irrelevant) ...

If you say so.

EDIT: the location is provisioned with fibre (connected-up Sweden!) and the aDSL observation is invalid. Sorry.

What is this about activation?

Max Hopper wrote:

Be so kind to close this topic.

The Zyxel device is a combo aDSL modem / router
The Netgear device is a router

Max, please take the time to actually read a thread before commenting upon it in the future. Please see https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 94#p324394 and https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 95#p324395 that this question has been addressed already.
        I want to add, for someone often using words like "kind" and "courteous" you often seem to be at odds your own words. Have you considered that the reception of many of your posts in this forum might be driven at least partly by this perceived dissonance? Try to think of this as a case study for Postel's law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle). The sad thing is that with your knowledge and a tiny bit of friendliness and humility, I still believe you could be a big support in keeping these forums informative and friendly...

Best Regards
        M.

Max Hopper wrote:
Xotic750 wrote:

Everything.

Xotic750 wrote:

If you say so.

Max, please take a deep breath, relax and put the keyboard away.  wink You are not helping anybody nor are you increasing the forum's signal to nose ratio by posting while angry.* If you have nothing relevant to add there is no shame in not posting anything. Just posting insults will probably not even help you to vent your frustration...

Best Regards
        M.

*: My excuse for posting is that I want to keep the forum civil...

Xotic750 wrote:

The guy wants to replace his Zyxel (which is in router mode and connected to his ISP via ethernet, the fact that it is a combo device is irrelevant) with a Netgear on which he has installed OpenWRT but is having an issue whereby the Netgear is not obtaining an IP via DHCP, when clearly other non-OpenWRT devices are obtaining one just fine. It may conclude with the issue being non-OpenWRT (software or configuration or even hardware) related, but just now that is not clear.

This is a very good summary of the situation! Max, isn't it a proof that the modem part is irrelevant because I can plug my iMac direct into wall and get a public IP address from ISP?

I'll be glad if you have any advice for me Max?

Ok, I've talked to my ISP earlier today. He told me that they have no limitations regarding mac addresses or maximum numbers of devices for my contract. They don't have requirements for clientid or such things either.

So, if i summarize

• Router software seems to work (install went well, luci is accessible, ssh is working)

• Router hardware seems to work (I can get dhcp lease from the Zyxel router)

• Ethernet to my home seems to be OK (Zyxel and iMac can get lease if i plug them into the wall)

• ISP doesn't have opinions about which router I use

What to do? Reinstall software, change some settings, give up?

organismen wrote:

Ok, I've talked to my ISP earlier today. He told me that they have no limitations regarding mac addresses or maximum numbers of devices for my contract. They don't have requirements for clientid or such things either.

So, if i summarize

• Router software seems to work (install went well, luci is accessible, ssh is working)

• Router hardware seems to work (I can get dhcp lease from the Zyxel router)

• Ethernet to my home seems to be OK (Zyxel and iMac can get lease if i plug them into the wall)

• ISP doesn't have opinions about which router I use

What to do? Reinstall software, change some settings, give up?

If you can get tcpdump (and ethtool) installed on the router it would be quite interesting to see what happens if you hook it up to the wall. I typically use the following (replace the "eth1"s below with the true physical interface name underlaying you wan link; take the lowest to see as much as possible):
tcpdump -s 1600 -i eth1 -w eth1.cap
Also: could you please post the output of:
ifconfig
ethtool eth1

Best Regards
        M.

P.S.: I guess I need to apologize to Max, his last (modified) post was short, friendly and helpful, so there is that.

(Last edited by moeller0 on 18 May 2016, 17:28)

Interesting I found this thread at the top. Namely, I've had exactly the same problem today, after migrating Asus WL500g Premium to OpenWrt: No DHCP lease from ISP. Everything else worked fine.
I also have fiber optic, and the router is connected to the ISP's box (which is set up as a dumb switch, nothing more). It works fine if I connect my computer directly to that box (bareback? xD ), or with dd-wrt on this router.

@organismen, please check the protocol config of your WAN connection on the WNDR3700.  Make sure it is set to DHCP.  If it is set to static and 192.168.1.x, it will probably work like in post 39, but not connected to the wall)

I think that moeller0 has requested you run some tests that I do not see responses for (posts 48 and 56).  I think you may have gotten distracted with issues re installing packages and not sure if you got TCPDump installed.

I also do not recall a response from you after the suggestion of changing the WNDR3700's LAN IP to another subnet and hanging it off the Zyzel's WAN.  (post 39 and 46)  However this is not your goal, so I would regroup (but do the above first).

1 - Make a backup of your current config and copy config files (/set/config/*) for easy reference.
2 - save a list of installed packages (opkg list-installed).  Dump to excel
3 - reset the device to defaults
4 - change the devices default LAN subnet to other than 192.168.1.x, reboot
5 - save a list of installed packages, dump to excel and figure out the differences
6 - connect to the wall and test

If you have not installed packages you can skip #2.  I would still do step 5 as a reference.  I like to keep a text file of all I install and notes on my config.  Makes it much faster to do a rebuild.

If this does not work, reflash the device with the sysupgrade file (assuming you went from factory to openwrt with the factory.img or factory-NA.img, no clue as to the difference).  There is no good reason that this should make a difference, but it' quick and can not hurt either. 

If you have not read this, you may want to:  https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700  At the bottom there is some known issues, but nothing that stand out.

moeller0 wrote:

If you can get tcpdump (and ethtool) installed on the router it would be quite interesting to see what happens if you hook it up to the wall. I typically use the following (replace the "eth1"s below with the true physical interface name underlaying you wan link; take the lowest to see as much as possible):
tcpdump -s 1600 -i eth1 -w eth1.cap
Also: could you please post the output of:
ifconfig
ethtool eth1

I'll try to do it tonight and post the results asap.

valhalla123 wrote:

Interesting I found this thread at the top. Namely, I've had exactly the same problem today, after migrating Asus WL500g Premium to OpenWrt: No DHCP lease from ISP. Everything else worked fine.
I also have fiber optic, and the router is connected to the ISP's box (which is set up as a dumb switch, nothing more). It works fine if I connect my computer directly to that box (bareback? xD ), or with dd-wrt on this router.

Interesting @Valhalla! keep us posted!

RangerZ wrote:

@organismen, please check the protocol config of your WAN connection on the WNDR3700.  Make sure it is set to DHCP.  If it is set to static and 192.168.1.x, it will probably work like in post 39, but not connected to the wall)

if this is the settings under interface I'm sure that its set to DHCP

RangerZ wrote:

I think that moeller0 has requested you run some tests that I do not see responses for (posts 48 and 56).  I think you may have gotten distracted with issues re installing packages and not sure if you got TCPDump installed.

TCPDump, ethtool and ifconfig is coming up next

RangerZ wrote:

I also do not recall a response from you after the suggestion of changing the WNDR3700's LAN IP to another subnet and hanging it off the Zyzel's WAN.  (post 39 and 46)  However this is not your goal, so I would regroup (but do the above first).

Haven't tried this yet, to be honest I don't fully understand what to do here, I'll get back to this after tcpdump

RangerZ wrote:

1 - Make a backup of your current config and copy config files (/set/config/*) for easy reference.
2 - save a list of installed packages (opkg list-installed).  Dump to excel
3 - reset the device to defaults
4 - change the devices default LAN subnet to other than 192.168.1.x, reboot
5 - save a list of installed packages, dump to excel and figure out the differences
6 - connect to the wall and test

If you have not installed packages you can skip #2.  I would still do step 5 as a reference.  I like to keep a text file of all I install and notes on my config.  Makes it much faster to do a rebuild.

I'll try this as well, at the moment I have a vanilla install with no aditional packages, probably its a stupid question but what does LAN subnet has to do with wan dhcp?

RangerZ wrote:

If this does not work, reflash the device with the sysupgrade file (assuming you went from factory to openwrt with the factory.img or factory-NA.img, no clue as to the difference).  There is no good reason that this should make a difference, but it' quick and can not hurt either.

Thats correct, i used factory.img and uploaded it via gui. super easy!

Max Hopper: That appears to be just for initial activation of the account

Option 1: Connect your PC to the wall plug.
Option 2: Connect your modem/router and choose to connect to the ISPs wireless network

Open a web browser, e.g. IE. Irrespective of which web page that you try to browse you will be directed to the ISPs activation page.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Max Hopper wrote:
Xotic750 wrote:

Everything.

Xotic750 wrote:

If you say so.

EDIT: the location is provisioned with fibre (connected-up Sweden!) and the aDSL observation is invalid. Sorry.

What is this about activation?

Activation is done the first time when you sign up. You are then redirected and give some credentials to start everything, so that should be ok!

I'll go for the TCPdump and see where that brings us.

if this is the settings under interface I'm sure that its set to DHCP

There is one for each interface.  Don't guess.

Haven't tried this yet, to be honest I don't fully understand what to do here

Network => Interfaces => LAN - Edit => General setup => IPv4 address: 192.168.11.1
Save& Apply
Reboot
Connect the to the WAN behind your Zyzel and see if you can update packages, run diagnostics and surf.

IFCONFIG

root@OpenWrt:~# ifconfig
br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:26:F2:F7:AD:E0  
          inet addr:192.168.11.1  Bcast:192.168.11.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fdc3:ec88:c21::1/60 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::26:f2ff:fef7:ade0/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:7536 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:5802 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:665876 (650.2 KiB)  TX bytes:947517 (925.3 KiB)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:26:F2:F7:AD:E0  
          inet6 addr: fe80::26:f2ff:fef7:ade0/64 Scope:Link
          RX packets:7700 errors:0 dropped:8 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:5738 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:828525 (809.1 KiB)  TX bytes:965706 (943.0 KiB)
          Interrupt:4 

eth0.1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:26:F2:F7:AD:E0  
          RX packets:7673 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:5730 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:686715 (670.6 KiB)  TX bytes:940925 (918.8 KiB)

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:26:F2:F7:AD:E1  
          inet addr:192.168.1.68  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::226:f2ff:fef7:ade1/64 Scope:Link
          RX packets:393 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:917 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:70396 (68.7 KiB)  TX bytes:80752 (78.8 KiB)
          Interrupt:5 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:14350 (14.0 KiB)  TX bytes:14350 (14.0 KiB)

ETHTOOL

root@OpenWrt:~# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                            1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
    Supported pause frame use: No
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                            1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
    Advertised pause frame use: No
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 4
    Transceiver: external
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
                   drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err
    Link detected: yes

what commands do you want to see?

TCPDUMP

This it where it gets very interesting!

// log when plugged into wall

root@OpenWrt:~# tcpdump -i eth1 -v
tcpdump: WARNING: eth1: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
0 packets captured
0 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

// log when plugged into zyxels lan-port

root@OpenWrt:~# tcpdump -i eth1 -v
tcpdump: WARNING: eth1: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
23:38:30.650194 IP6 (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 16) fe80::226:f2ff:fef7:ade1 > ff02::2: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router solicitation, length 16
      source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 00:26:f2:f7:ad:e1
23:38:30.730286 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 0, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 328)
    0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 00:26:f2:f7:ad:e1 (oui Unknown), length 300, xid 0x67c4edaa, Flags [none]
      Client-Ethernet-Address 00:26:f2:f7:ad:e1 (oui Unknown)
      Vendor-rfc1048 Extensions
        Magic Cookie 0x63825363
        DHCP-Message Option 53, length 1: Discover
        MSZ Option 57, length 2: 576
        Parameter-Request Option 55, length 7: 
          Subnet-Mask, Default-Gateway, Domain-Name-Server, Hostname
          Domain-Name, BR, NTP
        Vendor-Class Option 60, length 12: "udhcp 1.23.2"
23:38:30.732950 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 37779, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 576)
    192.168.1.254.bootps > 192.168.1.68.bootpc: BOOTP/DHCP, Reply, length 548, xid 0x67c4edaa, Flags [none]
      Your-IP 192.168.1.68
      Server-IP 192.168.1.254
      Client-Ethernet-Address 00:26:f2:f7:ad:e1 (oui Unknown)
      sname "ZyXEL_P-2602HWT-F1"
      Vendor-rfc1048 Extensions
        Magic Cookie 0x63825363
        DHCP-Message Option 53, length 1: Offer
        Subnet-Mask Option 1, length 4: 255.255.255.0
        Default-Gateway Option 3, length 4: 192.168.1.254
        Domain-Name-Server Option 6, length 4: 192.168.1.254
        Hostname Option 12, length 7: "dhcppc4"
        Domain-Name Option 15, length 4: "lan^@"
        NTP Option 42, length 4: 195.54.122.168
        RN Option 58, length 4: 129600
        RB Option 59, length 4: 226800
        Lease-Time Option 51, length 4: 259200
        Server-ID Option 54, length 4: 192.168.1.254

As you can see above, when i plug the netgear wan port into the wall, nothing happends, 0 packages received or sent, when i plug the netgear wan port into one of Zyxels switch ports it immediately starts the handshake process and then gets the stream from the Zyxel.

Edit Even if i click on connect in the interface tab nothing happends...

(Last edited by organismen on 19 May 2016, 00:48)

organismen wrote:

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/network

config interface 'wan'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option _orig_ifname 'eth1'
    option _orig_bridge 'false'
    option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option proto 'dhcpv6'
    option reqaddress 'try'
    option reqprefix 'auto'

@RangerZ: This is the network dump (post nr. 4), it says dhcp for both interfaces. Am I missing something?

(Last edited by organismen on 19 May 2016, 01:04)

RangerZ wrote:

Haven't tried this yet, to be honest I don't fully understand what to do here

Network => Interfaces => LAN - Edit => General setup => IPv4 address: 192.168.11.1
Save& Apply
Reboot
Connect the to the WAN behind your Zyzel and see if you can update packages, run diagnostics and surf.

This worked perfect! I installed the required packages thanks to your instructions above. I connected my Imac to the netgear switch but I could reach internet with it (I tried the followed instructions mentioned early regarding putting the gateway and DNS ip adress to the zyxel router but that didnt help)

Anyway, I've got the packages! Thanks!

(Last edited by organismen on 19 May 2016, 01:05)

The network file looks as it should, DHCP for the WAN.

In the current config, what can you not do correctly?  Do diagnostics work?

The gateway and DNS setting are relevant if you are connected on the WNDR3700 LAN.  You should not need these using the WAN port.

Have you tried connecting to the wall after these changes?

RangerZ wrote:

The network file looks as it should, DHCP for the WAN.

In the current config, what can you not do correctly?  Do diagnostics work?

With my current config I can not reach internet if I hook the WNDR3700 directly into the wall. As seen in post 67 my TCPDUMP shows that no packages are sent as if the router wasnt plugged in at all (the router doesnt know that there is a ISP DHCP server on the other end and doesnt bother to talk?)

If i instead connect the wall to the Zyxel WAN port and put a cable between the Zyxel lan port and Netgear WAN i get a nice handsshake and the router can reach internet (with a local ip from the Zyxel)

Diagnostics (ping openwrt) dont work when router is hooked up to the wall.

(Last edited by organismen on 19 May 2016, 06:48)

When you connect the Netgear to the wall, do you get any link led come on the wan port?

I'm wondering if there is a link speed/duplex auto-negotiation failure/mismatch happening.

If your port sets one speed (100/Half Duplex) and the ISP switch selects another (1000/Full Duplex), would tcpdump show any packets TX/RX?

Perhaps use ethtool to set speed and duplex manually, and see if a match can be found?

(Last edited by Xotic750 on 19 May 2016, 07:33)

Could this be related to the issue? I've had a couple of these in the log.

[  474.010000] b44 ssb0:1 eth1: BUG!  Timeout waiting for bit 80000000 of register 428 to clear
[  474.010000] b44 ssb0:1 eth1: BUG!  Timeout waiting for bit 80000000 of register 428 to clear
[  484.010000] b44 ssb0:1 eth1: transmit timed out, resetting
[  484.010000] b44 ssb0:1 eth1: powering down PHY
[  484.010000] net_ratelimit: 54 callbacks suppressed
Xotic750 wrote:

When you connect the Netgear to the wall, do you get any link led come on the wan port?

I'm wondering if there is a link speed/duplex auto-negotiation failure/mismatch happening.

If your port sets one speed (100/Full Duplex) and the ISP switch selects another (1000/Half Duplex), would tcpdump show any packets TX/RX?

Perhaps use ethtool to set speed and duplex manually, and see if a match can be found?

The wan led light just blinks on-off at a steady interval when connected to the wall. I'll try to figure out how to set the speed.

Hi organismen,
thanks for the data, From another post I take it that eth1 is the WAN interface?

organismen wrote:

IFCONFIG

[...]
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:26:F2:F7:AD:E1  
          inet addr:192.168.1.68  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::226:f2ff:fef7:ade1/64 Scope:Link
          RX packets:393 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:917 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:70396 (68.7 KiB)  TX bytes:80752 (78.8 KiB)
          Interrupt:5 

[...]

This is plugged into the wall or into the zyxel?

Best Regards
        M.

The discussion might have continued from here.