OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Self Compiled Kernel with Precompiled released Packages

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All
I have to compile kernel with few lines modification in ethernet driver to make ethernet working.
But after compilation it do not have LUCI and many more packages.

When I tried to use opkg to install LUCI, it worked but when I try to install L2TP and STRONGSWAN packages they shows kernel version mismatch.

Please suggest the best way to handle this issue.

As I want 15.05.1 kernel with my small patch and all precompiled packages shared at this location.
https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … /packages/

I know that kernel version have md5sum attached and the same is checked every time a new package is installed.

Any solution to get rid of this issue.

yogesh.gupta wrote:

Any solution to get rid of this issue.

Easiest solution is that you compile the needed packages into the firmware image. (They will also take less space as they get compressed in the squashfs partition.)

The kernel version is the 15.05 sources has already changed, so using "opkg install --force-depends ..." is dangerous, as the kernel may actually be different than the previously compiled package thinks.

Thanks Hnyman, for reply

As trunk is moving upwards, I have download the snapshot version of openwrt branch 15.05 with revision #48532 which is equivalent to 15.05.1 and compile the kernel. So other that kernel md5sum, the kernel version remain same all the time until I do the update of the branch.

Also as you said to compile the needed packages into firmware image. > I have done this by putting "y" instead of "m" in make menuconfig but even after this I can not able to see LUCI, uhttpd after flashing the firmware on the box.
So Do i need to do something extra to get then be the part of squashfs partision.

Thansk

yogesh.gupta wrote:

As trunk is moving upwards, I have download the snapshot version of openwrt branch 15.05 with revision #48532 which is equivalent to 15.05.1 and compile the kernel. So other that kernel md5sum, the kernel version remain same all the time until I do the update of the branch.

Also as you said to compile the needed packages into firmware image. > I have done this by putting "y" instead of "m" in make menuconfig but even after this I can not able to see LUCI, uhttpd after flashing the firmware on the box.
So Do i need to do something extra to get then be the part of squashfs partition.

Thansk

If you include luci in menuconfig, it will pull in all necessary files into the firmware. When you then flash the image, you should have all the selected packages included.

But you may get difficulties if you mix versions from different times. E.g. you try to download the "base" 15.05.1 sources from Jan 2016 (#48532) but you still use updated feeds (luci, packages) with sources as in May 2016. There may have been changes both to Luci and base system since January, and you are only using half of them.

You should download the current head of the 15.05 branch, update all feeds, use menuconfig to select all packages you need and compile an up-to-date 15.05.1 firmware. It will not be exactly the 15.05.1 release, but will instead contain all fixes since then.

There is no point in trying to compile 15.05.1 equivalent image now.

The discussion might have continued from here.