OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link Archer MR200

The content of this topic has been archived between 11 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

halucigenia wrote:

I get no message from the tftpserver at all it just sits there waiting.
When I switch on the mr200 all lights initially light up but all go out except the LAN connection light for the port I have a cable attached to. The LAN light comes on for all but one switch port, the first LAN port after the WAN port.
I will try removing and re-plugging the LAN cable when I next get the chance.
Anything else I can try please let me know.
Thanks.

Which MR200 version do you have? I can only imagine that your tftp setup is wrong if it's not detected by the router. How did you set it up?

gurangax wrote:

Which MR200 version do you have? I can only imagine that your tftp setup is wrong if it's not detected by the router. How did you set it up?

MR200 version 1.
I am using tftpserver and running that from the same directory that the ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin file is in.
The computer is configured with  IP 192.168.0.66, mask 255.255.0.0
The same tftp setup flashed the wrong file to the router, so it worked OK for that.
Unplugging the cable and re-plugging it makes no difference.

halucigenia wrote:
gurangax wrote:

MR200 version 1.
I am using tftpserver and running that from the same directory that the ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin file is in.
The computer is configured with  IP 192.168.0.66, mask 255.255.0.0
The same tftp setup flashed the wrong file to the router, so it worked OK for that.
Unplugging the cable and re-plugging it makes no difference.

Which wrong file? It is possible that you flashed different bootloader and doing so has changed the tftp IP address. Try first with gateway set to 192.168.1.1

(Last edited by gurangax on 24 Jan 2018, 01:39)

gurangax wrote:

Which wrong file? It is possible that you flashed different bootloader and doing so has changed the tftp IP address. Try first with gateway set to 192.168.1.1

The correct file for the Archer C2 was flashed, the default IP address fro the C2 is the same.

try use mr200 firmware instead

gurangax wrote:

ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin is the mr200 firmware, that is what I am trying to flash after flashing the C2 firmware in error.

After flashing the C2 firmware in error, what firmware do you think that I should be flashing if not ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin as per the initial instructions https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 80#p342280 in this thread?

(Last edited by halucigenia on 24 Jan 2018, 16:19)

halucigenia wrote:
gurangax wrote:

ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin is the mr200 firmware, that is what I am trying to flash after flashing the C2 firmware in error.

After flashing the C2 firmware in error, what firmware do you think that I should be flashing if not ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin as per the initial instructions https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 80#p342280 in this thread?

Like I said, if your router didn't detect your tftp server, the ip is different already, bootloader is different, you need to find out what it is, either by going through the serial debug port or find out what c2 tftp server ip adress is, it may change from original especially if it is a custom bootloader

Have a look at this topic for settings https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 00#p369800
it is different

(Last edited by gurangax on 25 Jan 2018, 07:28)

gurangax wrote:

Like I said, if your router didn't detect your tftp server, the ip is different already, bootloader is different, you need to find out what it is, either by going through the serial debug port or find out what c2 tftp server ip adress is, it may change from original especially if it is a custom bootloader

Have a look at this topic for settings https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 00#p369800
it is different

AH, I think that I understand you now, since openwrt for C2 is on 192.168.1.1 that is the IP range that the router is expecting the ftp server to be on.
I thought that I had tried that but I will give it another go.
DOH!

halucigenia wrote:
gurangax wrote:

it is different

AH, I think that I understand you now, since openwrt for C2 is on 192.168.1.1 that is the IP range that the router is expecting the ftp server to be on.
I thought that I had tried that but I will give it another go.
DOH!

You need to give details about your firmware that you tried, a link to the firmware which "bricked" your router is good. I have no idea which firmware you are refering to, especially now that you are talking about "openwrt for c2", I tought you were using original c2 firmware. There are many variables for the right answer.

@gurangax: Please use "Post reply" button instead of "Quote" button.
There is no need to fullquote the previous posting.

gurangax wrote:

You need to give details about your firmware that you tried, a link to the firmware which "bricked" your router is good. I have no idea which firmware you are refering to, especially now that you are talking about "openwrt for c2", I tought you were using original c2 firmware. There are many variables for the right answer.

Sorry, I thought that I was clear about which firmware I had flashed, it is the C2 firmware from the thread that you linked to from this post https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 82#p347582.

I realise now that I have not "bricked" the router as such but just installed the wrong firmware "successfuly", so it is not in a "bricked" state.
I still cannot flash the mr200 firmware using tftpserver even now using the 192.168.1.66 ip address on the computer that I am flashing from.
However I can ping 192.168.1.1, ssh to open wrt and access luci on 192.168.1.1.
Would a sysupgrade from C2 openwrt to the latest LEDE firmware lede-17.01.4-ramips-mt7620-ArcherMR200-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin for mr200 work?

Your are lucky that the hardware is about the same, so the bootloader also works on mr200, if not you will get worse problems. Yeah, it should work by webflash, but I don't think some of the packages will be available for 17.01.4 firmware, but if you only want a working router again should be no problem.

gurangax wrote:

Your are lucky that the hardware is about the same, so the bootloader also works on mr200, if not you will get worse problems. Yeah, it should work by webflash, but I don't think some of the packages will be available for 17.01.4 firmware, but if you only want a working router again should be no problem.

Well that seemed to do the trick. I guess that I just panicked when I realised what I had done and was not thinking straight about the issue.
I can now use the mr200 again, this time with the LEDE firmware successfully installed.
I don't seem to be able to access the 4G modem on http://192.168.225.1/login.html but it does seem to be working OK and can access the internet through it.

I will keep an eye on this thread to keep up with any new developments.

Thanks for all your help.

All I needed to do was to clear cache on my browser and now I am able to access the 4G modem on http://192.168.225.1/login.html.
It is still the old modem firmware which seems to overwrite whatever stock OEM modem firmware you had on the mr200 before flashing with OpenWRT from ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin in post 40 on this thread.

So I am eagerly awaiting a method of upgrading  to the latest OEM modem firmware instead without having to resort to a HEX editor or whatever.
Would an updated ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin containing an updated OEM modem firmware be the solution?

No. You can upgrade modem firmware by back_to_stock firmware from my previous posts and use OEM update file to update firmware on router and modem.
Recovery image contain only bootloader and firmware for router.

Heinz wrote:

No. You can upgrade modem firmware by back_to_stock firmware from my previous posts and use OEM update file to update firmware on router and modem.
Recovery image contain only bootloader and firmware for router.

That is not correct in my experience.
I have had two mr200 routers both with the latest OEM stock firmware on them.
The first one I did use back to stock and again upgraded the OEM stock firmware only to find after putting openwrt and then LEDE that the modem software was back to the old OEM interface for the modem.
The current router that was flashed to C2 openwrt firmware then to LEDE also has the same old OEM interface on the modem now after having up to date OEM modem firmware before flashing.

If the recovery image is not changing the modem firmware something else must be as it certainly looks different from before I flashed anything other than the most recent stock OEM firmware.

Maybe I am missing something? Would I have seen something different if I had looked at http://192.168.225.1/login.html while the most recent stock OEM firmware was on the router?
I was going by what I saw on the original stock OEM interface without having tried accessing http://192.168.225.1/login.html directly.

Maybe I will try back to stock again and see what happens?

I think you meant the router webserver which has changed, since there is no way for you to open the modem webserver from an original firmware. Luci is the router webserver used with LEDE, while the modem webserver should look no different with all of the original firmwares. They are for developers eyes only and not meant for end users. You should be able to plug the mini pcie modem into a PC and still have the same old tplink modem webserver. But, it is possible to change the modem webserver since now we have the files required to do so, but unfortunately my modem has a broken hardware problem so not possible for me.

So basically we have  2 devices in MR200, 1 is the Router itself, and the other one is the LTE modem each with its own operating system. The router runs on linux while the modem on android.

What you meant is not the "modem software" but it is the router webserver. the modem webserver is the one when you browse http://192.168.225.1

Thanks, gurangax that kind of clears up the terminology.
Is there a way to identify which modem firmware I do have, either from the modem webserver or from a command line.

Use command line:

adb shell uci show product.info

Thanks Heinz for all your work. Used your bin files and updated using the official sysupgrade file. Just wanted to see if anyone managed to get the signal LEDs working accurately?

I can post a script if you need for turning on signal leds and 4g led. Not sure if will work with default mr200 modem since I have replaced the modem to other brand. You can change accuracy by changing the threshold numbers and so far I am happy with my settings.

gurangax wrote:

I can post a script if you need for turning on signal leds and 4g led. Not sure if will work with default mr200 modem since I have replaced the modem to other brand. You can change accuracy by changing the threshold numbers and so far I am happy with my settings.

That sounds great. Could you please share it across? I shall report back with my results

Sorry for late reply. Here is the link to code, no idea how to attach it here so using link instead.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q529ji47n … trength.sh

Works for me. Running few weeks already without errors. You may need to change usbtty device cause I used a different modem, but the concept is there should be easy to fix if its using different ports. You could also run it as background service so you dont have to run it manually each reboot

(Last edited by gurangax on 18 Feb 2018, 05:36)

gurangax wrote:

Sorry for late reply. Here is the link to code, no idea how to attach it here so using link instead.

Works for me. Running few weeks already without errors. You may need to change usbtty device cause I used a different modem, but the concept is there should be easy to fix if its using different ports. You could also run it as background service so you dont have to run it manually each reboot

This works great so far, I changed the USB device and tweaked the signal bands to my liking. LTE light didn't work but i don't mind that as I have kept it on always on.

I just have one question.  I can't seem to be able to make it run during boot. Any help on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: I figured it out. Except 5GHz this is works perfectly now.

(Last edited by imabdulazeez on 18 Feb 2018, 15:04)

Hi guys,

I recently bought the TPLINK MR200 V1 router from Orange Spain ISP, with his own fw version.

I would like to convert it to LEDE firmware, but i want to do it in a secure way, step by step to avoid any mistake.

I printed fulll thread and read it several times to learn all i can, and stay ready for any inconveniency.

Summarizing, i want to follow this steps:

1.- Flash stock firmware 160310 via TFTP, editing stock .bin file, cutting 0x200 header, copying 0x20000 bootloader bytes and copying 0x7B0000 router FW bytes, getting a 8.000Kb file.

2.- Update to stock latest release through webpage, first with 160412 ver. and then to 160905 ver.

3.- At this point, i will have updated MR200 with latest sotck router FW and LTE modem FW too.

4.- Flash LEDE via TFTP using @Heinz ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin

5.- Finally, update from LUCI to LEDE-17.01.4

I hope all i said is ok and didn’t made any mistake, although any help will be very appreciated, wink.

I found post 141 by @Lordcapy, who was in same situation like me, but i can’t contact with him, there is no private message option available.

One more question, perhaps i will telling something stupid, but since Archer C2 and MR200 basically have same HW (MT7610EN 5GHz chip), ¿why MR200 5Ghz is not working?, in most recent topics of C2 openwrt thread, i read 5Ghz it’s working ok,

Thx in advance.

Best regards.

(Last edited by jmpcarceles on 6 Mar 2018, 17:40)