Hello everyone, my name is Matt and I`m from Toronto, Canada.  Thank you for taking the time to read my post.  This will be my first experience using openwrt, although I have lots of experience in dd-wrt, python and C++.   I should start by explaining my current network set up and then I will move into what I would like to do to customize it.  If at any point you can see a problem, security flaw or you can point out a possible pit fall that I might encounter, if you can point it out, it would be really appreciated.   I will do my best to keep an up to date account of my progress.

MY CURRENT SETUP

My setup is for an apartment style enclosure.  There are three 1 bedroom apartments, my apartment , one apartment on the floor above me and one apartment on the floor below me.  My apartment is the only one that can reliably provide a wireless signal to all of the areas.  We all have our own wireless dual band routers and internet gateways with stock firmware on our routers using WPA2 encryption. We each pay for our own internet access.  It's a pretty standard setup but at $60 each per month we aren't getting much bang for our buck.

MY PROPOSED SETUP

I approached my neighbors and they are interested in sharing 1 internet gateway to save us all $40 a month.  But before they cancel their internet subscriptions they want me to load balance all of our current internet connections to determine exactly what kind of speed we will need if we are going to be sharing. 
     At first glance this seems fairly confusing, I will have to receive a signal from both of my neighbors wireless 2.4 ghz APs.  Then I will have to take these signals and turn them into a wired connection to bring through my router running openwrt with multiwan to load balance the internet access and then re transmit a wireless signal in the 5ghz band that will be available for clients to connect to.
     Are you still with me?  Are the gears in my head grinding too hard on this one?  From what I see, I should be able to accomplish this by first transmitting both of my neighbours wireless internet signals in the 2.4ghz range (different channels).  Then I can receive those signals using one of these nano routers for each signal: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta … R802N.html  From there if I hardwire the nanos (and my internet connection) into my router running openwrt with multiwan it should load balance the internet access between all gateways. 
     Anybody know if multiwan will allow the router to retransmit the load balanced feed wirelessly or if it only supports load balancing to another lan port?  Ideally I would like to retransmit the signal through my multiwan router on 5ghz but I can set up another router to a lan port to transmit if multiwan doesn`t support this.

PROGRESS

April 16, 2016: Introduction to Openwrt

I still have not chosen a router to do the heavy lifting for this project, so any tips or recommendations would be awesome!  For now, in order to get my hands wet into openwrt, I have bought a cheap, openwrt compatible single band router: http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/TL-WR841N.html

April 17, 2016: Installing Openwrt on Test Router

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 39#p320139

(Last edited by iThunder on 17 Apr 2016, 20:45)