OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [SOLVED] CC 15.05.1 on Netgear WNR1000v2 image too large?

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have finally manage to get hold of a free (from the trash) router that supports OpenWRT, a Netgear WDR1000v2

I managed to flash CC 15.05 onto it and it worked, but luci was acting a little off when trying to configure the firewall. So, I decided to upgrade to CC 15.05.1, which went fine and the router ran. The problem was that the config was lost and subsequently any changes that I made to the config were lost upon reboot. looking through the logs, I saw

Sun Jan 31 17:35:25 2016 kern.err kernel: [    9.810000] jffs2: Too few erase blocks (4)
Sun Jan 31 17:35:25 2016 user.err kernel: [    9.810000] mount_root: failed to mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /tmp/overlay: Invalid argument
Sun Jan 31 17:35:25 2016 user.info kernel: [    9.820000] mount_root: overlay filesystem has not been fully initialized yet

I tried a fresh flash and got the same result, so it looks like the official image is too much for this poor little old thing. Has anyone had a similar experience with this router, know of any fix?

At the moment the only thing that I can think of doing is create my own image with Image Builder and try to prune a package or two from it.

Other ideas are welcome.

(Last edited by Xotic750 on 4 Apr 2016, 13:57)

I used Image Builder and removed the PPP packages as I don't need them. Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 now runs and configuration is being written to flash. I tried the official release again, just to check, and te original problem returned. So it seems that there is definitely a problem with the official image of 15.05.1 and the Netgear WNR1000v2.

Can you upload your build? I am having the same problem, I think everything is saved in the RAM and it erases every time upon reboot, when I go to the software tab in OpenWrt it shows 16mb, way more than the 4mb flash.

I'm also having this problem... was Xotic750's build ever uploaded?  If not I'll roll my own with the Image Generator

The discussion might have continued from here.