OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wireless Issue on last Kaloz build - WRT1900AC v1

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey everyone,

Bit of an issue here. Seems that wireless isn't working exactly correct on the Kaloz build from November 27 2015.
I just switched to this from CC Final 15.05 because I wanted the updated Kernel for certain features.

So, lets see if I can list everything that happens.
WLAN0 = 2.4GHz radio
WLAN1 = 5GHz radio

• WLAN0 consistently stays in "wireless is disabled or not associated" mode (yet shows up in iwinfo)

• When I try to associate it with the LAN interface in the Interface screen, clicking Save & Apply seems to work, until I go back into Interfaces and find it's still associated with WLAN1. http://imgur.com/nL3oh22

• When I was first setting up, I noticed that the security settings took on WLAN0, but not WLAN1. WLAN1 was showing functional though. So I re-added the security settings to WLAN1, and it stopped functioning, showing disabled or not associated (also would not show in iwinfo).

• I removed the security settings from WLAN0, and iwinfo will only display info for WLAN0. WLAN1 still not functioning.

• With no security settings, iwinfo shows both WLAN0 and WLAN1, but only WLAN1 works (I can connect to it from devices and get internet)

• In every iteration of settings, iwinfo says the interfaces do not have encryption on them.

In summarisation:
WLAN0 never actually works, but without security shows in iwinfo
WLAN1 works without security, but not with, and is being affected by setting security on WLAN0

NOTE: Kaloz's OpenWRT seems to have extra settings displaying in Interface > Physical Settings, and in the Security Settings for wireless. The physical settings in interface seem purely redundant though, so not certain why that is. The security settings are just a lot of excess options, but they're not terribly organised or documented.

This is REALLY annoying since I'm either missing something, or there's a bug that I haven't found reference to anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated, as wireless as I really don't want to be running without wireless, nor do I want it running without security.

Updates:

So here is what has happened since I last posted.
Nothing I did from within the GUI seemed to be working, so I copied my wireless config from my CC 15.05 backup, and suddenly it worked.
I manually tweaked the backup file to change the SSID to the new setup I wanted(24.example.ca), and my router stopped working correctly (not giving out IPs on wired or wireless, etc).

I did a 30/30/30 reset, which oddly enough caused it to reinstall CC 15.05 (somehow that's still the backup after installing a different version?)
After resetting, I checked my wireless and they were working.
I changed the SSID for WLAN0, and it seemed to accept it, until I changed the security settings. That broke it
So, I do a 30/30/30 reset again, re-installed Kaloz's version, and I manually edited my config backup again to input the SSIDs it seems to like (it has no issue with example24.ca, but won't accept 24.example.ca), and pasted that into the /etc/config/wireless.

This seems to have worked. But if I edit the settings in the GUI, it breaks them again...

No ideas yet, peeps? sad

Have you been able to fix this issue? I have a similar problem running trunk with a linksys E4200 v2.

The 5ghz interface works fine, but the 2.4 one won't come online after changing security settings.
Nothing but a factory reset seems to "solve" this.

Nevermind, reflashing seemed to have solved my issue.

The discussion might have continued from here.