OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Streaming video on LAN problem

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I just got into de OpenWrt community. I have installed OpenWrt and after installing it I got problems with streaming video from my nas to my cubox with KODI. In KODI it keeps buffering every couple of minuts.

The configuration:
Router: TP-Link TL-WDR4900
Mediaplayer: Cubox-i2 with KODI
Connected over LAN (not the WLAN)

Before updating to OpenWrt there were no problems with the streaming of video.
Usualy I stream full HD movies with a size between 10 and 30 Gb.

The first attemd was with OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07
The second attemd was is with Chaos Calmer 15.05

There is no special configurations don after installing OpenWrt.

I have looked in the forum for buffering and streaming problems but didn't find an answer.

Hopefully someone can give me a sollutions for my streaming problems.

Greeting

(Last edited by freek145 on 21 Mar 2016, 11:49)

Restore original firmware.

The purpose of OpenWRT is increase router functions, it's not increase connection speed or eficiency, e.g. using OpenWRT you can connect a USB sound card to that router and it will work, something impossible in the factory firmware.

Streaming full-hd movies requires high speed and eficiency, and sometimes (it depends of streaming protocol used) besides it requires zero network errors, i.e. zero udp lost packets, some streaming protocols use UDP with no errors detection/correction.

By the other side, you say the cubox is connected to ethernet, is it the NAS connected to ethernet too or to wlan? may you problem is wifi interferences, try to use the same wireless channel than before openwrt setup.

If both devices are on the LAN then router firmware do not interfere with their communications because they are both are on single switch.

Hi Bolvan and Iasimov,

Both devices Cubox and NAS are conncted on the LAN.
The NAS is an QNAP 219P+ with also Gigabit (forgot to mention).

I changed the firmware of the router to add functionalaty, I want to reboot every week to improve the connectivety of the internet connection. This connection was sometimes 'frozen'.

Iasimov you are talking about packet loss, is a way to see if there are packetloss?

And it looks like I lose speed because the original firmware has no streaming problemens and OpenWrt has problems, I think this is not the purpose of OpenWrt??

Any idea?

Hello Freek145

You can create a 'Ticket' about it, that will alert the developers to look into it.

https://dev.openwrt.org/newticket

If you leave your eMail address there, they may converse with you in detail about what you've noticed.
(If they need more information about it)
Try to be as detailed as possible, and give the router model name/number, and factory firmware revision # that worked perfectly before installing OpenWRT.

You are correct to be upset.  I see no reason why OpenWRT can't be as smooth operating with transferring files of any type, thru Ethernet wired connections, as the factory firmware did for you before.

Maybe your efforts will make OpenWRT even better than it is now...and it is good, but everything can be made better. smile

I'd like to know of what they said about it, if they contact you...
...I'm sure others here would also be interested to know.

Thank you for your efforts.

The discussion might have continued from here.