Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

TFTP is easy as pie, and it works every time without fail. Highly recommend not tooling around with other solutions.

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

Well, that was plain stupid, I should have backed up the factory provided firmware image first before attempting OpenWRT trunk build on there. TFTP method worked for me on the latest v2 router purchased this week.   But, it doesn't include a lot of the features like Luci out of the box.  I decided I'm not ready to be on a trunk build for my daily driver yet.  But the router came with a newer version of firmware from the factory than what is supplied on their website. Now I'm trying to rollback to factory firmware.

Does anyone have a copy of the latest stock firmware image supplied with this router? I need: 3.14.3 Build 151014 Rel.49676n.  For now I'm going to try the latest one on TP-link's site and see what my results are. I am also curious to see if I can flash openwrt easily from this latest version available on the TP-link support site. (3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n)

53 (edited by often_oblivious 2016-04-24 16:00:30)

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

The TFTP method worked for me to install OpenWRT on an Archer C7 AC1750 V2 that I just purchased, which came with firmware version: 3.14.3 Build 151014 Rel.49676n. As expected, received 18005 error trying to install OpenWRT directly.

  1. Used TFTP method with TFTP server eth0 interface address 192.168.0.66/24.

  2. OpenWRT 15.05.1 stable release bin file saved to /tftpboot/ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin. Starting with router off, pressed and held WPS/Reset button and powered on. Power, status (asterisk) LEDs on. Released button when WPS LED lit.

  3. Monitored transmitted bytes from server with ifconfig eth0 and looking at TX bytes, and saw ~17.5 MB had been transmitted. Archer C7 LEDs remained lit for a couple of minutes, then router rebooted itself.

Problem: router comes back on with only power LED and connected LAN LEDs on. No DHCP, cannot ping, connect via telnet or ssh. No route to host error. Similar to issue described here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 36#p288536.

Solved by installing a trunk build by arokh from April 15, r49166 by replacing the 15.05.1 bin file with the r49166 in /tftpboot as described above. Repeating the process, the router booted up just fine, now with the status LED (asterisk) lit in addition to power and LAN indicator. SSH to 192.168.1.1 using arokh's set defaults, user root pass changeme. Build includes LuCI.

54 (edited by bencheever 2016-05-01 07:31:58)

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

Does that trunk build have wifi working on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz radios? I could only get one working with the latest trunk build.

BTW: For those looking for the latest firmware builds on the v2 router, you can check here for the U.S firmware versions:

http://www.tp-link.us/download/Archer-C … l#Firmware

I managed to find the version I was looking for that came with my router when it shipped from the factory: 3.14.3 Build 151014 Rel.49676n

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

bencheever wrote:

Does that trunk build have wifi working on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz radios? I could only get one working with the latest trunk build.

BTW: For those looking for the latest firmware builds on the v2 router, you can check here for the U.S firmware versions:

http://www.tp-link.us/download/Archer-C … l#Firmware

I managed to find the version I was looking for that came with my router when it shipped from the factory: 3.14.3 Build 151014 Rel.49676n

See https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 56#p316656

Where I explained some of that and plugged my site under the "here" link - I explain the necessary packages in the script that were necessary for the 5ghz radio driver. The gist is that the dev builds, for whatever reason, don't come with ath10k drivers, or luci

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

When the patch included in the following email from the development mailing list is accepted, OpenWrt will again be able to install through the web interface.

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 40897.html

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

soren wrote:

When the patch included in the following email from the development mailing list is accepted, OpenWrt will again be able to install through the web interface.

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 40897.html

It remains to be seen whether this patch enables installation on all devices.  More information has been gathered here: https://github.com/xdarklight/mktplinkfw3

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

keyboardgnome wrote:

Works:
WR710N - 151022_US

Tested and confirmed that it also works for WR810N 151119_US.

59 (edited by jmsnyc 2016-06-21 05:36:31)

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

Hi everyone,


just got the c7
tried flashing openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory
Per the thread that was linked earlier https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=329228 tried post 19
after upgrading to 15_05 thought it gave me success but after rebooting can't connect

I am trying to follow this thread but technically its a little over by head.... 

now I am just simply trying to return to stock....   i enabled tftp in windows 10, booted to recovery mode and then tried tftp -i 192.168.0.66 put ArcherC7v3_tp_recovery.bin //tftpboot/Archer3C7v_tp_recovery.bin.  The source is a rename of the official image I believe with the modification linked in Sean's post in the thread I mentioned above

I am not sure if I have to specify eth0 anywhere as mentiioned below.   Not sure if this is correct place to specify but I also went to network settings on ipv4 for my ethernet adapter and specified the ip address 192.168.0.66 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0... not sure if I needed anything for default gateway - not sure if I need the /24 and where I put it as well

rebooted into recovery mode but I could not connect to router - the tftp command failed

I am really thinking of returning it since I just bought it- but I bought from Jet.com online and they are just middle man for some amazon/ebay seller - not sure if thgey will take return

often_oblivious wrote:

The TFTP method worked for me to install OpenWRT on an Archer C7 AC1750 V2 that I just purchased, which came with firmware version: 3.14.3 Build 151014 Rel.49676n. As expected, received 18005 error trying to install OpenWRT directly.

  1. Used TFTP method with TFTP server eth0 interface address 192.168.0.66/24.

  2. OpenWRT 15.05.1 stable release bin file saved to /tftpboot/ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin. Starting with router off, pressed and held WPS/Reset button and powered on. Power, status (asterisk) LEDs on. Released button when WPS LED lit.

  3. Monitored transmitted bytes from server with ifconfig eth0 and looking at TX bytes, and saw ~17.5 MB had been transmitted. Archer C7 LEDs remained lit for a couple of minutes, then router rebooted itself.

Problem: router comes back on with only power LED and connected LAN LEDs on. No DHCP, cannot ping, connect via telnet or ssh. No route to host error. Similar to issue described here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 36#p288536.

Solved by installing a trunk build by arokh from April 15, r49166 by replacing the 15.05.1 bin file with the r49166 in /tftpboot as described above. Repeating the process, the router booted up just fine, now with the status LED (asterisk) lit in addition to power and LAN indicator. SSH to 192.168.1.1 using arokh's set defaults, user root pass changeme. Build includes LuCI.

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

jmsnyc wrote:

I am really thinking of returning it since I just bought it ...

Have you not voided the manufacturer's warranty when installing OpenWrt? It would seem that the financial loss of replacement should be born by yourself.

Combatting ignorance since 2015.
(it's taking longer than I thought)


Be courteous to others. Search before posting

61 (edited by jmsnyc 2016-06-21 16:37:50)

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

Max Hopper wrote:
jmsnyc wrote:

I am really thinking of returning it since I just bought it ...

Have you not voided the manufacturer's warranty when installing OpenWrt? It would seem that the financial loss of replacement should be born by yourself.

The point of my post was to seek help from knowledgeable users on tftp'ing and restoring use of the router.   With all due respect moral advice on whether or not I have justification to return it is irrelevant. Its not really what I am seeking to do,I just mentioned it as a possibility.  Hopefully someone in this thread can be more helpful.

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

Call me 'Jiminy Cricket'.

Combatting ignorance since 2015.
(it's taking longer than I thought)


Be courteous to others. Search before posting

63 (edited by jmsnyc 2016-06-22 00:55:15)

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

This video is exactly what I was looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1sxwX5pMk   Simple tutorial how to use TFTP to restore bricked router once you have the firmware you want to flash.   Works for Archer C7!   Hopefully it will help someone else out.

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

http://66.media.tumblr.com/a4c0809c760cabeebcc8a07805f3cb89/tumblr_o13wtqwqQm1qm7cjco1_400.gif

Combatting ignorance since 2015.
(it's taking longer than I thought)


Be courteous to others. Search before posting

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

I'm dumping the bastards roms using tftpboot and an initrd kernel in uboot. you can also their bootloaders to dump their rom if you are patient using md.b in serial mode.

66 (edited by chris666uk1 2016-07-24 16:34:42)

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

i moved from ddwrtt back to tplink firmware ArcherC7v2  eu (160616) witch i found out after i flashed it was locked
tried all sorts of web pages flashes no luck then i went for the TFTP server holding the WPS button did not stop the boot up and hitting keys did not work

ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin method worked for me no problem with the trunk build by arokh r49166 from link below

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50914

67 (edited by WildByDesign 2016-08-02 03:32:57)

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

FCC forces TP-Link to support open source firmware on routers
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech … n-routers/

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

maybe this patch affects upgrade procedure

https://gist.github.com/rlei/1a034fc08d24071b9b3e

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

I have a WDR7500 v3 and I tried using the bypass script and it doesn't work. I also tried the TFTP way of flashing, but can't seem to get it boot to the TFTP mode (holding the Reset/QSS doesn't seem to connect to 192.168.0.66 to request the file)

Is there any other way for me to flash to OpenWRT? DD-WRT seems like they have a way with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin firmware but there is none for WDR7500 only for Archer C7 which is technically similar.

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

colordeficiency wrote:

I have a WDR7500 v3 and I tried using the bypass script and it doesn't work. I also tried the TFTP way of flashing, but can't seem to get it boot to the TFTP mode (holding the Reset/QSS doesn't seem to connect to 192.168.0.66 to request the file)

Is there any other way for me to flash to OpenWRT? DD-WRT seems like they have a way with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin firmware but there is none for WDR7500 only for Archer C7 which is technically similar.

I think the latest Openwrt/Lede trunk actually works around this problem.  You might try grabbing a snapshot or compiling your own image of trunk, and that might install straight from the web interface.

--Jonathan

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

oneru wrote:
colordeficiency wrote:

I have a WDR7500 v3 and I tried using the bypass script and it doesn't work. I also tried the TFTP way of flashing, but can't seem to get it boot to the TFTP mode (holding the Reset/QSS doesn't seem to connect to 192.168.0.66 to request the file)

Is there any other way for me to flash to OpenWRT? DD-WRT seems like they have a way with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin firmware but there is none for WDR7500 only for Archer C7 which is technically similar.

I think the latest Openwrt/Lede trunk actually works around this problem.  You might try grabbing a snapshot or compiling your own image of trunk, and that might install straight from the web interface.

--Jonathan

I tried /snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr7500-v3-squashfs-factory.bin to no avail.

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

Have you tried special US/EU images from LEDE trunk?

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

stangri wrote:

Have you tried special US/EU images from LEDE trunk?

Do I have to build it? phase1.builds.lede-project.org/builders/ar71xx%2Fgeneric/builds/345 shows that the latest is build but no downloads available?

Re: TPLink US Firmware Reflash Solution

I bought a TP-Link the other day and had 0 problems installing OpenWRT... I am in Canada but it shouldn't matter, we get the same FCC regulations (and problems) too.

Make sure you are trying to rename the OpenWRT image file to the same name as the TP-Link firmware file name first... That worked for me...

If that doesnt work then maybe it is locked... Which is a shame to attempt to snub Open Source software.