OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: A note on the DIR-615E4

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The default DIR-615E4 Chaos Calmer image doesn't have WiFi due to space constraints(4mb flash).

However, with the Image Generator ( https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obta … e.generate ) it's possible to overcome this in most use-cases. Using LuCi, it's possible to have WiFi at the expense of either ipv6 or ppp support. Without LuCi, you can have it all.

Personal WiFi with IPV6 but without PPP:

make image PROFILE=DIR615E4 PACKAGES="kmod-ath9k wifitoggle wpad-mini luci -wpad -hostapd -hostapd-mini -ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -kmod-ppp -kmod-pppoe -kmod-pppox -luci-proto-ppp" FILES=files/

Personal WiFi with PPP and without IPV6:

make image PROFILE=DIR615E4 PACKAGES="kmod-ath9k wifitoggle wpad-mini luci -wpad -hostapd -hostapd-mini -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables -luci-proto-ipv6" FILES=files/

Enterprise WiFi (RADIUS) without IPV6 and PPP:

make image PROFILE=DIR615E4 PACKAGES="kmod-ath9k wifitoggle wpad luci -wpad-mini -hostapd -hostapd-mini -ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -kmod-ppp -kmod-pppoe -kmod-pppox -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables -luci-proto-ipv6 -luci-proto-ppp" FILES=files/

Enterprise WiFi (RADIUS) with IPV6 and PPP but without LuCi:

make image PROFILE=DIR615E4 PACKAGES="kmod-ath9k wifitoggle wpad -luci -wpad-mini -hostapd -hostapd-mini" FILES=files/

./files/etc/config/wifitoggle

config wifitoggle
    option button    'wps'

option persistent    '0' 
    option timer        '0'

option led_sysfs        'd-link:blue:wps'
    option led_enable_trigger    'none' 
    option led_enable_delayon    '0'
    option led_enable_delayoff    '0'
    option led_disable_default    '0'

The wifitoggle part is optional (as well as the package) but if you're going through the trouble of building your own image, you might as well put in a little something extra wink

Also, if you want WiFi to turn-off on boot, consider:

./files/etc/rc.local

# Put your custom commands here that should be executed once
# the system init finished. By default this file does nothing.

# turnoff wifi on boot
uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=1 && wifi

exit 0

I think I'll add this to the Table of Hardware wiki entry for the DIR-615E. Considering that wifi doesn't work in the latest upgrade. It took me a while to find the related bug and this forum entry...

a1113570 wrote:

The default DIR-615E4 Chaos Calmer image doesn't have WiFi due to space constraints(4mb flash).

I can hardly believe this.
Can someone confirm that in fact the packages necessary for Wifi are not included in the 15.05.1 image for DIR-615E4?

I can confirm this was the case for me. Using the OpenWrt Image Builder I was able to build an image that has wifi working without PPP and IPV6 support enabled.

bencheever wrote:

I can confirm this was the case for me. Using the OpenWrt Image Builder I was able to build an image that has wifi working without PPP and IPV6 support enabled.

Another user tried to remove ipv6-related packages with the image builder but got non-working images. Could you please post the packages part of the make?

hi guys, thanks a lot for the help.
I have a D-LINK DIR-615 E5, but from the wiki it says E4 version works fine with it.

I've tested Barrier Breaker 14.07 DIR-615 E4 on my D-LINK DIR-615 E5 with WiFi working fine. Also tested Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 DIR-615 E4 working fine but without WiFi. So I created an image using the following command to have WiFi:

make image PROFILE=DIR615E4 PACKAGES="kmod-ath9k wifitoggle wpad-mini luci -wpad -hostapd -hostapd-mini -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables -luci-proto-ipv6"

The files are tested by me on a D-LINK DIR-615 E5. I hope this can help someone trying to use this wireless router with wireless feature ready to go smile.

Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 DIR-615 E4 Personal WiFi with PPP and without IPV6

openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-dir-615-e4-squashfs-factory:
mega.nz/#!XF8S0IBT!xMIo9juYrTdQsoLxIokkpYNX0sZC5GzuZ-7KuvHja34

openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-dir-615-e4-squashfs-sysupgrade:
mega.nz/#!iRcUTQbD!bMt6o1PYD5lwcxpk45-bgH97CstgziEJ6NYnAoDhSGQ

(Last edited by Germini on 10 Apr 2017, 06:54)

The discussion might have continued from here.