OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Forum changes since the recent server-update

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Since the recent server-update, each single posting has the Topic in it.
I find this visually disturbing and a waste of space.

What do others think? Get back to the old status (Topic only once at the top of the page) or keep the new one?

I tend to like it.  I open the post list, then Right-Click Open in New Tab for each message that interests me.  Once I scroll down I loose the subject, and the tabs are not big enough to display the content.

That said, it could be a font size smaller or less bold.  It's louder that the text at the top of the page.

I also think that in the basic post lists(Forums=> General Discussions ) that there is more vertical space between the lines of text, but not positive.

post titles are too large and ( 1 2 3  404  New posts ) or only  New posts are taking up more space in subforums than before.

anarchy99 wrote:

Confirmed, that's also my perception.

The forum is constantly changing, I believe we have to wait for some hours/days to see the final result...

There is a new theme, I would call it "bootstrap style" and at last there are buttons for post editing! tongue

tmo26 wrote:

What do others think? Get back to the old status (Topic only once at the top of the page) or keep the new one?

I agree, old was better. Like RangerZ I open several threads at once, but if I need to check the topic I just highlight some text where I'm at on the screen, press Home to go to top and look at the topic, and quickly scroll down to where the highlight is (highlighting just because it's easy to spot while scrolling, no other particular reason).

I don't mind keeping it if the size is reduced, and a less prominent font color (i.e. grey) is used. It would also work well to put it next to the time of post, could be e.g.:
Today 01:22:35 Re: Forum changes since the recent server-update

Also as mentioned, the team probably needs some time to sort out all the changes. I don't mean to say this is urgent, take your time. Great to have a new server anyway. smile

(Last edited by makro on 25 Feb 2016, 00:54)

I don't mind the issue tmo26 brought up, and while I find the new theme more modern and visually appealing, the default font seems to be smaller/thinner so it's harder to read for my aging eyes. sad

You do know you can switch to the old "Oxygen" style in your settings, don't you?

on oxygen theme:
move New posts and numbers of topic pages to the right of the topic author instead of below

on openwrt/urban theme:
reduce font size of the top bar (Logged in as Index User list Search Profile Logout)
maybe use same background colour on posts as on subforums, leaving only sticky topics background bright

on both themes:
make the big logo link point to https://openwrt.org instead of https://forum.openwrt.org/index.php because link to the forum index page already exists right under this logo!
add an option to choose how search results should be returned, either as topics or posts if possible. current search results return posts which are non-transparent.

(Last edited by anarchy99 on 25 Feb 2016, 10:09)

metai wrote:

You do know you can switch to the old "Oxygen" style in your settings, don't you?

I do now, thanks! wink

It now appears that the entire top area where it says "OpenWrt Wireless Freedom" is a hyperlink back to the Forum Index.

why does the forum show user as active as soon as he visits homepage (openwrt.org)?

The discussion might have continued from here.