OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Looking for small repeater with AP mode

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I am looking for a small repeater that is supported by openwrt and that can get network uplonk from a lan port. It shall directly plugg into a wall socket.
WLAN ac with dual band would  be great.
TP-Link RE200/RE210 would be nice, but they are unsupported by openwrt and most repeaters with lan port do not use the lan port for network uplink.

Any suggestions?

regards, zoo

Posting a reply because I'm interesting in such a device as well. I have a cat6 cable between living room / router and one floor up, where wifi reception isn't great. Lots of rebar in the concrete, apparently.

Terminology is a problem here.  For most "repeater" means wireless, but what you also are saying is you want to use an Ethernet LAN connection.

So to be as clear as possible, if you want a second router hanging of your primary router connected by a cable on the same IP segment and want the primary device to server up your DHCP, then you want a Dumb AP.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=58313
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap
It's basically disabling the DHCP on the AP. 

If you want a device that is connected on a different IP segment then most devices should be able to do this out of the box.  Just connect the primary routers LAN to the secondary devices WAN. 

Any OpenWrt device should meet your needs.  Its configuration.
Not a dual band device, but all the ports you may want, external antenna and comes with OpenWrt installed.
http://www.gl-inet.com/product/gl-ar150 … a-version/
There is a POE version if your primary router will support that, otherwise a basic AC-5V charger will do.

I think the idea is to use a category of devices [wallplug wifi repeaters with an ethernet port, small, cheap, no external power supply] outside of their intended purpose, and use them as wifi access points instead.

(Last edited by bdeblier on 8 Feb 2016, 22:01)

zoo wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for a small repeater that is supported by openwrt and that can get network uplonk from a lan port.

You are after a wifi access point.  Not a repeater.

I suspect this is why you are having trouble finding what you want.  Any OpenWRT device with ethernet ports and wifi can be used to do what you want.

bdeblier wrote:

I think the idea is to use a category of devices [wallplug wifi repeaters with an ethernet port, small, cheap, no external power supply] outside of their intended purpose, and use them as wifi access points instead.

That was what I am looking for.

TP-Link RE200 or RE210 would be great. Both are not supported yet.
RE210 seems to be a Ralink RT2880 SOC.

Thank you for pointing me to the TP-Link TL-WR710N and the GL-AR150, maybe I am waiting for the TL-WR810N to be supported (300 Mbps, same design).

The discussion might have continued from here.