OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: zsun wifi card reader

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I flashed openwrt onto one of these dongles:

https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:zs … ard-reader

and after the successful flash, it came up with the usual defaults and with the wireless SSID set to "OpenWRT," no encryption.

So I logged into the luci console, set a root password, and then reconfig'd the wireless to a different SSID with WPA2 encryption.  After rebooting I see the new SSID, but cannot connect with the configured passphrase.  Maybe I made a mistake in typing in the passphrase, but if not, I don't understand what is happening.

A reset won't be easy, I'll have to remove the plastic case to get at the pins, set up a serial connection, etc.

Any ideas for an alternate approach which is less drastic?

Fun gadget!

Wifi is enabled by default, AP mode, no encryption
Entering failsafe will run a script that automatically does a factory reset
The SD card detect pin is registered as a button and will trigger failsafe when inserted/removed during boot
The SD card reader is reset every time a card is inserted or removed

Hey, thank you so much!

That worked, wifi got reset back to OpenWRT, so I was able to connect to the device again.

It's early days, but it seems as tho luci has some problems successfully configuring the device.  I ssh'ed to the device and editing /etc/config/wireless, hand-configured WPA2 wireless, which seems to be working upon reboot.

Hey brothers,

at first sorry for my bad english. I ordered last month an Zsun Card Reader from China now i want use it as an AP with OpenWRT but on the following website (hackerspace.pl) i tried all possible functions to get it work but no luck.  Can anybody show me the easiest way how can i get it work. It es possible to record and upload an video? I would be very grateful..

I messed it with the wifi configuration and I find myself unable to trigger the failsafe mode.

I tried inserting/removing the microSD card at different stages of the boot process without any luck (no OpenWrt wifi appeared after the green LED stops blinking).

yawlhoo, can you explain me how did you do it?

Thanks!

someone here with a v2 hardware pcb and serial connected?
I've connected to mine after failed flash and i'm unable to send anything - only getting serial output - no input possible.

Yes, the rx trace is not connected to the pin row, i guess (zero ohm) resistor is missing? check the photos and the difference between v1 and you will find it near the cpu. I did find it.

And BTW I also had a bad flash and managed to recover via serial.There is no load command but I managed to poke the rootfs to RAM via python script using mm.l u-boot command. Took few hours to run but worked fine in the end:-)

(Last edited by fanoush on 23 Apr 2016, 20:28)

thanks,
the Warsaw guys posted the details on 23.04 and also recovered my zsun with the python-mw script.
i've made some changes on my github https://github.com/maurerr/ubootwrite
let's hope pepe2k manages to build soon a new uboot with kermit (loadb) support

Just want to say thanks very much to the people at hackerspace.pl. Bought one of these things here. Downloaded the firmware from here. Flashed the firmware using the instructions from the Flashing from original firmware (mtd_write) section from here.

This is now my smallest OpenWrt system. You can put it on a key chain. Note that since this device only has WiFi. You are well served by setting up extroot. With  extroot, you can easily recover from WiFi configuration errors by removing the microSD card and correcting the errors with a Linux PC text editor. Have mindlna, ftp server vsftp, gcc and many other packages loaded.

The discussion might have continued from here.