OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Open Port.

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Not sure what it means but here is what's going on.

I have transmission on the router and I requested one of the ports to be open, actually 2 of them One for transmission another one for uTorrent on computer. So I did opened them as I learned previously. And according to canyouseeme.org both ports are open. But here is my question. transmission is always crying about closed port. Even now I am doing -pt and it's saying no.

root@WRT1900AC:~# transmission-remote -pt
Port is open: No

Any Thoughts ?

One thing , when opening port on the router. IT's both ways right ? I mean once port is open it's open to receive and send signals right ? Because I am thinking may be I did open ports for all incoming traffic but not to send out signal.

Internet is packet switching network. What you call signals are really incoming or outgoing packets.
Firewall is designed to limit categories of packets.
By default openwrt does not limit  outgoing connections, allow traffic related to established connections, but reject incoming TCP connections.
By opening a port you allow incoming TCP connections to that port so software running on the router can accept them. Same is true about UDP.
Opening a port on the router is not the same as port forwarding. Forwarding means you redirect incoming connections to specified port to a device inside your LAN.
For utorrent on PC you need port forwarding, for transmission on the router itself you need to open port.
Run "netstat -tnlpu" to see which processes listen on which ports. Check if your transmission s really listening on the port you have opened.

Port open rule in LUCI looks like :

Any tcp
From any host in wan
To any router IP at port 24 on this device

Port forward rule in LUCI looks like :

IPv4-tcp
From any host in wan
Via any router IP at port 9030

Port forwards are on the separate tab in LUCI UI.

(Last edited by bolvan on 30 Jan 2016, 09:20)

This is weird. http://ismyportopen.com/ lists my port 51423 as open. Transmission listens on that port, I have it configured exactly as you say. Netstat says it listens on that port. Any idea what might be going on or how I could debug it further? Transmission on my computer works, I have set up port forwarding to it and is says the port is open, so the problem is only with the instance on the router.

bolvan wrote:

Internet is packet switching network. What you call signals are really incoming or outgoing packets.
Firewall is designed to limit categories of packets.
By default openwrt does not limit  outgoing connections, allow traffic related to established connections, but reject incoming TCP connections.
By opening a port you allow incoming TCP connections to that port so software running on the router can accept them. Same is true about UDP.
Opening a port on the router is not the same as port forwarding. Forwarding means you redirect incoming connections to specified port to a device inside your LAN.
For utorrent on PC you need port forwarding, for transmission on the router itself you need to open port.
Run "netstat -tnlpu" to see which processes listen on which ports. Check if your transmission s really listening on the port you have opened.

Port open rule in LUCI looks like :

Any tcp
From any host in wan
To any router IP at port 24 on this device

Port forward rule in LUCI looks like :

IPv4-tcp
From any host in wan
Via any router IP at port 9030

Port forwards are on the separate tab in LUCI UI.

Thank you for your answer. I kinda gave up on that, because I tried everything. Including What you suggested. HEre is readout:

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9091            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1692/transmission-d
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:51400           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1692/transmission-d
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1259/uhttpd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1605/dnsmasq
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1243/dropbear
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2911            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1265/vsftpd
tcp        0      0 :::51400                :::*                    LISTEN      1692/transmission-d
tcp        0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      1259/uhttpd
tcp        0      0 :::53                   :::*                    LISTEN      1605/dnsmasq
tcp        0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      1243/dropbear
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53              0.0.0.0:*                           1605/dnsmasq
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:67              0.0.0.0:*                           1605/dnsmasq
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:51400           0.0.0.0:*                           1692/transmission-d
udp        0      0 :::546                  :::*                                1500/odhcp6c
udp        0      0 :::547                  :::*                                1187/odhcpd
udp        0      0 :::53                   :::*                                1605/dnsmasq

As you can see port is: 51400 , exactly as I set it to begin with. OpenPort sites like canyouseeme showing port 51400 is open yet for some reason port remains closed. On transmission-remote -pt it's saying Closed.

So yeah . I gave up big_smile

P.S.

IS there an alternative to transmission for openwrt ?

xakep wrote:

IS there an alternative to transmission for openwrt ?

I have LEDE 17 on a Netgear DGN3500, Transmission has the same problem opening a port.
I installed rtorrent, but it seems to be too heavy for this router, I mean LuCI is crashing all the time.
So I removed rtorrent also.
I would be very glad if Transmission could manage ports correctly.

sup wrote:

It is a bug in transmission: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/5459

Well if it's a bug in transmission I've had this for past , don't know 6 years ......

Anyway to fix it manually ?

Thank you for your reply !!!!!!!!!!!!

@xakep @sup
I think that the solution for the transmission-upload-port is on it's way to us! Look at the github link sup posted above.
I only hope this works well.

@xakep @sup
Hi, any improve? I updated transmission-daemon-openssl (and all other packages), but I still see 51413 closed at Transmission remote GUI.

The discussion might have continued from here.