OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Itus Shield Pro

The content of this topic has been archived between 10 Apr 2018 and 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

roadrunnere42 wrote:

robj wrote:

[ANDY -- please ignore below message... finally got things working Feb 3 and don't to waste your time. Thanks! ]

Hi all -- I just joined. I'm really sad to hear about Itus going under. Great people and a great product idea. And now I'm having technical issues with my shield and cannot solve them on my own after many hours trying. I searched and didn't see a good place to post problems on this forum for possible help. Forgive my ignorance if I'm posting in the wrong place.

My shield (router mode) stopped working two days ago. No reason, just stopped. I tried all the suggestions in other forum posts about rebooting, resetting, restarting my modem, router, and shield. No dice. Tested cables too, and not the problem. Waited the prescribed timeframes for each bootup, including 15 min for Shield

When modem is connected to router without Shield between, everything works great. So problem is isolated to the Shield.

Lights are on, so the Shield appears to be working, and I can access its admin interface. But I can never get the internet connected with Shield in place. So obviously something is wrong

thanks for your insights and kind regards,
    -Rob
############################################################################################################

Hi Rob

I have found that if I do a factory reset and run the update command from the gui my Shield do not connect to the internet, this seem to be on the last updated script.

My solution was -

do factory reset in router mode.
cd to sbin
run this command sh fw_upgrade
you will get a short list basically saying its downloaded a file
then rerun the command sh fw_upgrade
this time a load more update are downloaded, it will say cant remove ads or malicious  folder ( don't worry about these)
no reboot the Shield with the command
reboot -f
hopefully this will work, I had found that if i did only the first update of the fw_upgrade, my shield would not connect to internet  afterwards ,i'm thinking that people would only run the update from the gui only once before rebooting they Shield causing lack of internet.

Andy

[ANDY -- please ignore below message... finally got things working Feb 3 and don't to waste your time. Thanks! ]

Thanks Andy -- I'm a total newbie at this kind of stuff, so reading this forum is like me trying to reading Latin ;-) I bought shield because it was supposed to be easy for novices. And, well, here we are... but I'm trying to learn from all the experts here.

If I go into the GUI, go to System -> Command line, and add sh fw_upgrade  and reboot -f  -- then use them in order you describe after factory reset, will that accomplish what's needed?

If no, I need help understanding how to log in via SSH and/or what cd to sbin is. Sorry... I've never seen/done any of this before

Currently, I can see in web GUI I'm on V1.51 SP1, but it says the last update was Nov 26.

sincere thanks for your insights.
Rob

(Last edited by robj on 4 Feb 2016, 00:14)

So a technical miracle occurred, and my Shield is finally working again. THANK YOU to those here because I'm a total novice and would own a nice blue brick with fancy green lights were it not for you. Thanks so much for helping a stranger. So others may benefit form my pain, here's what finally fixed Shield in my case:

Problems I had: 1) No internet when shield between modem and router. It simply quit for no reason 2) Definition updates were old, and I could not get them udpated. 3) at times GUI inaccessible.

Solution:

When I could not get internet with shield between modem and Almond+ router, I connected ethernet between modem and router bypassing shield, except I left shield's eth1 plugged into an open slot on the router.

Shield GUI would fail, but I moved the ethernet cable from Eth1 to Eth0 for 10 seconds. Then moved it back to Eth1. That must jiggle the toilet handle somehow because then the GUI was again accessible.

I could see in GUI that I had v1.51 SP1 firmware, but definition updates were old (Nov 26)

I went to http://1drv.ms/1WU2Jaz and downloaded the file there. Opened it, and simply copied it.

Went to startup menu choice option in GUI, and deleted what was there at the bottom of the page, pasting in the above.  Save and apply changes.

Then via GUI, I hit the firmware update button. Let Shield do its thing for 10 minutes.

Lost GUI connection again, so moved from Eth1 to Eth0 for 10 sec, then put it back at Eth1. GUI available again.

Logged into GUI. Could see definitions were now updated Feb3! Ah, wonder of wonders.

reconnected modem -> shield Eth0. And Shield Eth 2-> router. A third connection from an open router ethernet port remains in Shield's Eth1. Shield remained powered up.

Unplugged router and modem. Waited 1 minute. Plugged in modem and allowed bootup.  Then did the same for router.

Waited 5 more min. Internet connected!

GUI access still functioning. Start script for daily updates still in place. Now I just need to see if Shield will continue updating and working on its own

In the GUI I still have an error that says "Oops, something went wrong. The last update didn't complete as expected. Shield will automatically try again to update itself again tomorrow. This message disappears automatically when the update is successful."

However, things seem to be working in spite of the message. So I have no idea what to try next. Just glad it works.

Best,
-Rob

Rob,

You're getting that error because the old firmware update is still there and trying to run. You accidentally put the new one in the startup script. You need to replace the old which is in /sbin
Use WinSCP if you are on windows. You use it just like windows explorer... drag and drop, right click, etc.

(Last edited by account4538 on 4 Feb 2016, 04:43)

account4538 wrote:

Rob,

You're getting that error because the old firmware update is still there and trying to run. You accidentally put the new one in the startup script. You need to replace the old which is in /sbin
Use WinSCP if you are on windows. You use it just like windows explorer... drag and drop, right click, etc.

Thank you for the insight! Unfortunately, I'm a real novice and I don't understand what /sbin is or how to get to it. Or how I need to edit the startup script to fix things. Same with WinSCP. 

Is the process I need to undertake written up somewhere so I do not waste your time spoon-feeding me?  I need super simple step-by-step directions to understand what I need to do unlike most folks here in the forum who understand the tech much better then I can.

I really appreciate you jumping in to help. Once I get shield working I hope I never need to touch it again :-) And that way I stop annoying y'all :-)

best regards
Rob

robj wrote:

I really appreciate you jumping in to help. Once I get shield working I hope I never need to touch it again :-) And that way I stop annoying y'all :-)
best regards
Rob

You won't be able to resist touching it again!!

Glad you got it working!

(Last edited by Wisiwyg on 4 Feb 2016, 19:32)

trblz wrote:

Hi guys,

Packetinspector.org has been renewed for a year.

Cool - gives us some breathing room, and gives Itus the potential for a come-back.

(Last edited by Wisiwyg on 4 Feb 2016, 19:33)

Wisiwyg wrote:
robj wrote:

best regards
Rob

You won't be able to resist touching it again!!

Glad you got it working!

No seriously, I'm way out of my technical league with this thing. So I'm very thankful for the help here in the forum.
My Shield updated its own firmware last night apparently. I love it when technology fixes itself when I'm not looking :-)
Also great to hear the packetinspector files have ben extended.

Wisiwyg wrote:
trblz wrote:

Hi guys,

Packetinspector.org has been renewed for a year.

Cool - gives us some breathing room, and gives Itus the potential for a come-back.

Doesn't look like it.

This is what I see:

Account Suspended
This Account Has Been Suspended

:-(

James.

James,

You are not the only one.  I am also getting the suspended user warning.  I guess we may still need this forum after all.

Carlos.

Yes, looks like it's done.

I suspect it was on autorenew, but when the bot went to bill the credit card it couldn't and automatically suspended the account. They're probably trying to contact Itus and if they don't, it will go away. We might be able to contact them to purchase the domain, but I'm not sure if they'll allow the forum to transition.

I dont think it's the domain but the MyBB host that has the account suspended.

Sad day, i want to keep moving forward, not getting stuk

@wisiwyg: i did not have the time to copy your response on my OPKG problem. Do you have the summary? It is OpenWRT crosscompiled with J2SS but it was based on ....?

If you guys want, I can host a forum for free on by business website for us shield owners instead of just the one thread here. I'm not going anywhere but at least I could easily hand the forum off onto someone else if need be very easily and nothing would ever be lost. We lost a lot of info, knowledge, and advise by the packetinspector forum disappearing. We can then use this forum here for more specific OpenWRT topics. Thoughts?

"user8446" on packetinspector

(Last edited by account4538 on 5 Feb 2016, 22:33)

packetinspector is offline I have copy of it I can send if someone wants to put it up on there website, I looking at buying  https://www.getcujo.com/

(Last edited by breda on 6 Feb 2016, 01:15)

Wisiwyg wrote:
hocking.craig wrote:

Hello all,
Just joined and have also posted this error on the ITUS forum,

Can anyone help with this error? Shield does not start up.

Is there a image that I can load via console from this prompt and also the instructions please?

Please Help!
Regards,
Craig

Hi Craig, have you tried what Andy described in the post just above yours? If you can get your shield to boot to RC2, you could go through the update procedure to reinstall the SP1 firmware.

Hello Wisiwyg,

Yes I have tried all the suggestions including using the SD card but nothing happens when I do use it, the card is not seen and nothing is copied to it to boot from. I can not access any of the directories either because it stops on error before there is a command line to use.

Craig

(Last edited by hocking.craig on 6 Feb 2016, 08:49)

breda wrote:

packetinspector is offline I have copy of it I can send if someone wants to put it up on there website, I looking at buying  https://www.getcujo.com/

How does this work? Does it process some traffic locally? Or is all traffic processed in their cloud? Could slow things down significantly if so.  I note it has a duel core Cavium processor, which would imply it has the capabilities, wonder if it's also using snort?

(Last edited by Turrican2 on 6 Feb 2016, 09:29)

hocking.craig wrote:

Hello Wisiwyg,

Yes I have tried all the suggestions including using the SD card but nothing happens when I do use it, the card is not seen and nothing is copied to it to boot from. I can not access any of the directories either because it stops on error before there is a command line to use.

Craig

Hi Craig

Does your Shield stop with a flash cursor  and if you type help you get a list of very limited commands?

If this is the case that you have to copy a new copy of the firmware onto the Shield,  for some reason the images on the Shield have been lost or corrected ( may be after upgrade firmware the power is switch off to soon) this is easier said than done because you have to set-up a bootp server (which is what i did in my case) with which the Shield will boot from. I have restored my Shield which died this way, but i had help setting up a bootp server. I had a Linux computer running dnsmasq as my dhcp server  (already set-up and working) which meant only had to add 3 new line in the configuration file

here the process in short
1. set-up bootp server ( my was on my Linux computer
2. run a few simple commands which set-up the shield to get an ip address
3. run commands to reboot Shield  to load from Itusrouter image ( must have a local copy )
4. run the firmware update script which will download new firmware (1.51 sp1)
5. run fw_upgrade script 3 time on the command line on the shield very important.

if you get a bootp server working I could teamviewer in and restore Shield if you like, just let me know.

Andy

Turrican2 wrote:
breda wrote:

How does this work? Does it process some traffic locally? Or is all traffic processed in their cloud? Could slow things down significantly if so.  I note it has a duel core Cavium processor, which would imply it has the capabilities, wonder if it's also using snort?

It's very similar to ITUS in my estimation. Hardware being identical for the most part. However, Cujo is going for more automation and cloud-based updating - so similar risk with ITUS - if it "goes down" (out of business) we could be left with a toaster. They do not seem as "open" as ITUS - so I haven't placed an order, yet. The 5 pack seems to be the best deal, by far.

Cujo won't work without a paid subscription either. At least with Itus we have a great piece of hardware we can still use.

Checking out that Cujo device.  It is very similar to what the Shield does while in "Gateway" mode.  Creates a controlled "MITM" situation on your local network, broadcasting itself as the gateway and pulling and inspecting all the traffic through it. 

I agree, the shield is way better option since you have a full linux based device which can be run indefinitely, plus you have 3 options on how you wish to run it. 

I hope ITUS can reorganize itself and resume operations.  The market for this kind of device is ripe for the taking.

Hi, this is what CUJO support told me about there device compered to Shield

Greetings,

First, Kudos to Itus Networks for iGuardian.

Snort in-line (what seems to be their core technology) is going to be a challenge for them or the user, whomever has to set it up and provide updates for it long term.  Filtering your network's traffic using rules that may or may not apply to your network is going to come at a performance cost.  The more rules you load, the slower the performance.  Not only that, we cannot tell if ITUS Networks will be supplying snort rule updates or if the user has to administer them.  Are the updates free or is there a cost?

The CUJO is different in the sense that there's NOTHING to set up.  You simply plug it into your router, power it on, and you're good to go.  On the technology side, our key differentiator is our Behavioral Analysis in the CUJO Cloud.  All the heavy lifting is done on the cloud.  Our Behavioral Analysis platform will create rules specific to any malicious or suspicious traffic observed on your network.  It's very targeted.

The Shield Pro seems to be several tools in a box.  While this is great for the enthusiast or even a professional, it will be a burden for people who aren't technical or don't know how to use these tools to use the shield pro effectively.

is there away to update Itus Shield Pro Snort rules yourself?

Here is an email I received from  Jock Breitwieser
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for reaching out and much appreciate you backing our Kickstarter - THANK YOU! Glad you liked our product.

Unfortunately, Daniel and I no longer collaborate on this, and based on what I hear, he wanted to close down ITUS. You can reach him via daniel@itusnetworks.com.

All the best, thank you again and let me know if I can help in any way.
Best,
Jock
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unfortunately Daniel does not reply to any of my emails

(Last edited by breda on 6 Feb 2016, 20:06)

breda wrote:

is there away to update Itus Shield Pro Snort rules yourself?

Hi breda
The Shield does an automatic update every night to download new snort rules, ads filters and malicious web sites
at present my shield has
9983 snort rules
206857 ads sites
76353 malicious sites
and all is working fine.

Andy

The discussion might have continued from here.