OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New Router for OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi guys. At the Moment I am using Netgear 3700v1 and I am quite happy with it however lately I am stating feel I am always low on memory and transmission-daemon really starting to glitch on large files, random restarts and crashes.

I am thinking about getting new router and keep 3700v1 as a backup and as an extender.

Here is my question.

What should I get. I really would love to get router with like 256 internal usable memory and USB 3.0 out for my main storage. IF 256 is not available I guess 128 will do as well. Can you guys recommend something nice that will allow me to install OpenWRT with nice and easy .bin file without going 20 steps to get it installed ?

Thank you !

8 routers which are available, have USB3.0, and are supported by the latest release (15.05):

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all?dataflt[USB+ports_*~]=3.0&dataflt[Availability*~]=Available&dataflt[Supported+Since+Rel*~]=15.05
tmo26 wrote:

8 routers which are available, have USB3.0, and are supported by the latest release (15.05):

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all?dataflt[USB+ports_*~]=3.0&dataflt[Availability*~]=Available&dataflt[Supported+Since+Rel*~]=15.05

Thank you !

And the winner is ..... I kinda like WRT1900AC 128/512 dual core CPU ..... not too bad.

It should probably be pointed out that it still seems to be plagued with wireless driver issues. Look into the wrt1900 thread. I would also consider the Netgear R8000 or Archer C2600.

You need at least 256 to run torrents and keep it somewhat stable, 512 wouldn't certainly hurt. Keep in mind that your disk has to be able to keep up otherwise you'll flood the subsystem in a bad way.

diizzy wrote:

You need at least 256 to run torrents and keep it somewhat stable, 512 wouldn't certainly hurt. Keep in mind that your disk has to be able to keep up otherwise you'll flood the subsystem in a bad way.

Thank you for your answer. Actually for about 3 years I've been running transmission-daemon on 3700v1 router and it works perfectly and it only had like 64MB. But one thing I have to mention is this. I had 1GB Swap partition on my router dedicated for any needed SWAP space. But I hardly seen it go above 30MB

I actually already purchased my new WRT1900ACv2 and I am loving it. Search for WRT1900v2 serial connection on this forum I posted some of the photos from inside.

The discussion might have continued from here.