OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help with Wifi calibration data Xiomi miwifi mini

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
I once accidentally corrupted uboot of my xiaomi miwifi mini and got it back using flashrom and installed openwrt image built using openwrt buildroot.But I noticed one thing that 2.4G wifi wasnt working anymore and even internet forwarding via LAN wasnt working.Then I installed official miwifi image and wifi started working again.am I missing anything? This build works fine in another miwifi mini router just fine.Which partition or memory location is the location for wifi cal data(if any) and how to put it into my openwrt build?

Thanks in advance

(Last edited by hrshovon on 1 Dec 2015, 09:53)

Hi anachry99,
Sorry for the dumb question, but helps this factory.bin to solve the poor WLAN performance with the miwifi after flashing openwrt like mentioned https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/mini   ?

And what should I do with the factory.bin? Flash it like that: mtd -r write factory.bin factory

Kind regards
Surfer78

It can only help if you deleted yours, otherwise no.

thx man for the fast reply.
Is there another way to get the old WLAN strength back? Otherwise OpenWrt on the Xiaomi miwifi is nearly pointless :-|

depends on what you mean by "old WLAN strength" 2.4G or 5G?

both frequencies.... I changed back to the xiaomi firmware in order to get strong signals, even with default power settings the signals are much, much stronger.
I don't have a reproduceable comparrision with 5Ghz, but with 2.4 I notices the following: AVM Fritzbox 7270 ca. 5m in direct sight has almost the same signal strength than the openwrt miWIFI in 50cm distance (between -50 and -40bBm). With the xiaomi firmware I  almost get -20dBm. (messured it with the App Wifi Analyzer and a Xiaomi Redmi 2)
And I noticed the device get's a little bit warmer with the xiaomi firmware, than with openwrt - so maybe an signal amplifier is more stressed with the xiaomi firmware...

there is always a way... you can try to drive voltage directly to pins responsible for amplifiers. and be careful if decide to try this method.

@Benik3: Sir, that I wanted to hear. Maybe I find a quite evening this weekend, so I give it a try. I'll respond here with my expiriences big_smile
Thank you!

Benik, your tip was pure gold!
That openWRT release from StrangeOrange works really good. The WLAN has the same power as the XIAOMI firmware. I'll stay with this version.... at least for a while wink

The discussion might have continued from here.