OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Question On OpenWrt Wan Port

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a ont fios connection dhcp connection, and i did have a linksys e3200 that had tomato running on it with the ethernet  running through to the wan port, but now i have the CC 15.05 and yes i know it is unsupported no wireless and i'm fine with that but the problem i'm having is even though the ethernet is running through the wan port i get no activity nothing, there is no need to release previous mac nor clone it but i tried but the vlans are not to friendly however i have F7D4302 running dd-wrt that is connected to the fios ont that is how i'm doing this post. Ethernet running from a port from the F7D4302 to the wan port of the (linksys) openwrt wan, the lan port of the (linksys)openwrt has a static address 192.168.1.1 Is there a post on this issue or something that isn't supported with this particular router that getting to work with a simple ethernet from fios ont to the wan port or is my E3200 a fancy switch with advanced options, does openwrt just works this way? I've been looking through the openwrt help documentation but i'm just not finding the right answers for this problem maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

just adding this bit.
I have revert back to original firmware no problems. i still like to know if the vlans needed more investigation before i noticed they all had the same mac address look(i've noticed this on some posts) at the ifconfig i even changed the wan port mac address and it had appeared in the gui part of the luci, ethernet, wan but no connection, rebooted still no connection, remove the changes to override mac address was the only way it was going to work. i know it is not suppose to have that problem and openwrt has its dhcp wan to the ethernet static 192.168.1.1/24 as part of its firmware, to have an ethernet from another device modem or router but it would just act like a gateway router to hand out dhcp is the part i was trying to accomplish. As for something i'll try to look into is the imagebuilder and see were that will take me. The experience using openwrt had it's ups and downs but that is expected since i was using the E3200 would have been great to work past that wan port ordeal but the extensive software has it potential another thing i noticed that the E3200 ran very hot maybe due to something with no wifi driver errors, maybe there a problem with how it was suppose to bridge to lan? Have A Great Wonderful Holiday

(Last edited by freeman01 on 25 Nov 2015, 22:17)

Does openwrt only work when bridged to a modem? I'd like to know if that is the case since i don't use modem i wouldn't have to go out to purchase a supported router and it not working since i don't use a modem from my isp.

The discussion might have continued from here.