OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cannot access router after OpenWRT flash

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Ok so i recently bought a linksys WRT1200ac router. I have previous experience with ddwrt and wanted to try OpenWRT. I went and found the page for my router

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1200ac

I go down to select an image and choose one from the list here:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/people/kaloz/

specifically, openwrt-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-factory.img

These images were said to be trunk and have additional packages and the LUCI gui. saves me time
I take my router out of the box and set it up, power it, and connect it to my desktop via ethernet. I go to my brower in windows 7 and connect to 192.168.1.1. The stock linksys firmware runs and the Smart wifi wizard pops up and i ignore it and go to manual configuration. Under connectivity i find where i can manually update the firmware and select the image i downloaded above. Flash.

A loading bar pops up and i wait a bit for it to finish. When it does another pop up come up that says something about not begin able to identify my router or something. I cant remember because i only saw it once. I think it was due to the fact that the old linksys firmware was not running on the router but was in the browser. i dont know. Either way i refresh the page to connect to the new firmware i just flashed. i get a server not found/problem loading page message.

I look down at the windows taskbar at my network connection icon and it shows disconnection. I look at the router and the power indicator light is flashing slowly. One of the LAN port lights is lit/flickering. I restart my computer and go and turn off both my modem and router. then i repower them. When im back at the desktop the network icon shows that i am identifying network. It then shows connected to network(unidentified network) and no internet access.

I go to the browser and try to connect to 192.168.1.1 again. Nothing.
I go to cmd and try to ping 192.168.1.1. All four packets say:
PING: transmit failed. general failure.

i try to telnet into 192.168.1.1. It says
Could not open connection to host on port 23. Connection failed.
same with telnet into 192.168.1.1/24

I type ipconfig. General stuff comes up however under default gateway there is just a blank space where the ip address would normally be. My internal IP begins with 169, indicating to me that windows assigned it, not the router.

I cannot figure out my routes ip address.
I cannot access my router.
For some reason i can connect to it (according to windows) but it shows no IP, is unidentified, and i cant do anything with it.

I attempt to enter failsafe by pressing the reset button on the router while its booting. However the power light doesnt change frequency of blinking. i expect flashes per second but it stays at the slow blinking speed.

I have no idea what to do and really hope i didnt just waste $150 in 5 mins.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Mack

(Last edited by preciseknife on 21 Nov 2015, 23:00)

Hi,

try to shrink text, otherwise people won't read and thus won't help.
Also please try to make your topic more understandable, add router type e.g.

Have you tried this page?
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

I assume that you flashed a firmware that's for some reason not usable. Usually you can revive the router. In my experience it's very seldom to fully brick a device irreversibly just by flashing it.

Wrt1200 is the caiman, not the mamba. So you've flashed the wrong image.

@juni

thank you for the advice i will make sure do to so in the future. im sure it is not completely bricked. i just need to find time to completely read through the failsafe documentation and do what i can.

@JohhnySL

that sir is exactly what i did. it seems i did not read carefully enough. thanks for the catch. that will make reflashing later much easier.

thank you guys for the responses i was really worried that my post would have been lost.

-Mack

The discussion might have continued from here.