OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Public WiFi in extender (AP+STA) mode?

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey,

I have an OpenWRT device (mobile router) that I use to boost the signal from my home router using AP+STA mode (repeater), I’ve taken the device to my college accommodation but I can’t seem to get it to repeat the unsecured public wifi hotspot on campus.

I also checked and it doesn’t work in Starbucks either, so I’m guessing it’s an issue with public WiFi hotspots.

Does anyone have any tips to get this working?

Post here yr config
/etc/config/network
/etc/config/wireless
/etc/config/dhcp
/etc/config/firewall

With no details provided of the unsecured networks and with limited experience, I can only presume those mentioned require manual intervention before 'net access is granted, e.g., "I agree to never again purchase a coffee at Dunkin' Donuts (click here to confirm)" or some such blather.

The program which performs the login to the remote AP, wpa_supplicant, only drinks tea and will not consent to the T&Cs of Starbucks (and it has no clue as to why it is receiving a login webpage nor the logic to respond).

Example with Starbucks is here.

The discussion might have continued from here.