OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How To Push DNS Servers to Clients

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi everyone

I like to use OpenDNS as it's better than the British Telecom (BT) ISP provided one, but I don't know if I've set it up properly and whether it's working. On all of my client devices it shows the primary DNS as the 192.168.1.1 (the router's IP) and the secondary DNS shows as 0.0.0.0 How do I check if the DNS is working and then how do I push it through to client devices to show the DNS's I've set?

Any help appreciated

Will

Your devices are using the router as a DNS; that is good, because it is acting as a cache, can filter out unwanted sites, can add internal mahcines, ... Now you just need to make sure that OpenWrt is using OpenDNS servers, and everything will be fine.

I had a look at those links you gave me, but most of it goes beyond me because I'm extremely new to OpenWRT. I've only stuck to the LuCI GUI on my Linksys WRT1900AC router because simple settings on router GUI's is what I've been used to, so I haven't touched the command based set-ups such as looking and editing the config files etc. Could you care to explain how I see the '/etc/dnsmasq.conf' file please?

I've downloaded PuTTY and I've logged in. I first tried to go the file but I got permission denied. I then put 'vi' in front and it chucked up this confusing page saying 'Change the following lines if you want dnsmaq to serve SRV records.'

Will

So not as above.

So trying to figure out how to configure this and I have the /tmp/resolv.conf.auto file.

# Interface lan
nameserver 209.244.0.3
nameserver 209.244.0.4
# Interface wan
nameserver 208.59.247.45
nameserver 208.59.247.46
search cable.rcn.com

In Luci there is Netwrk =>Interfaces =>LAN =General Setup=> Use Custom DNS Servers which appear to be the LAN servers above.  I thought I was changing the WAN ones at the bottom.  On the WAN tab, this setting is not available, and I do not know where the #Interface wan is coming from (in LuCi at least).

I now know that the DHCP & DNS => General Settings =>DNS Forwardings adds the "List Server" value I pointed to above. 

How do I set the DNS servers to point to my desired DNS values??

What is the "search" parameter mean?

LuCi is so well documented.....

(Last edited by RangerZ on 23 Oct 2015, 23:32)

Do not due as I suggested, I do not think its right based upon Ed's comment.

Install WinSCP.  It connects like putty, but gives you a windows file manager view of your routers "OS" and an editor for the files. https://winscp.net/eng/download.php  Most of the config files are in the \etc\config folder.

The discussion might have continued from here.