OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dual Band single radio mini PCIe card (probably a stupid question!)

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I am wondering, and likely know the answer, but figured I would ask in case I was missing something.

I want to have a Mini PCIe card installed in a router, acting as an AP, that allows both 2.4 and 5ghz connections, simultaneously.

Is this possible with a single card?  I suspect not, but if anyone can say for sure, please let me know.

I know I can have multiple "networks" on a single 2.4 WiFi card, but all networks must be on the same channel (frequency).  So I am guessing the same is true for a dual-band card.

Thanks!

Nope, that is not possible with a single card.

Is there any mini pcie card on the market that has dual radios?

either:
- dual 2.4GHZ radios or
- one 2.4GHZ radio and one 5GHZ radio

I looked for this about a year back and did not find any. 

I will suggest you be careful with any card and should write the vendor's support and ask about SIMULTANEOUS dual band.  This card for example seems to meet the requirement, but I know will not run both at the same time.  Only one or the other.
http://www.pcengines.ch/pdf/wle200nx.pdf

Like jow said, you cannot physically run one single card at multiple frequencies simultaneously. Simultaneous dual band always implies you have actually two separate radios.

The discussion might have continued from here.