OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Multi Core Support - Status and Issues??

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The table of hardware lists 58 devices with 2 or more cores.  Of these, about half are supported in some form.  And yes, most are not the basic home router, but that appears to be changing.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_e … mp;dataflt[CPU%20MHz*~]=x

I am under the impression that only one core is supported on any of these devices.

Can some one from dev please comment on the status and challenges of implementing multi-core support.  I am looking to improve OpenVPN in particular, but I expect that this will speed things up in general for these devices.

OpenWrt is simply a Linux distribution and Linux had SMP / dualcore support for many years. If the device is supported, you will be able to use all cores.

Thanks for the followup

Does it not make sense to offer for the x86/64 a second variation with SMP enabled as most CPUs today are multi core? 
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/x86/64/

I realize that you will suggest to build this, however I think that many new adopters would prefer to hit the ground running and that this feature is a substantial accelerator, literally, for installation and performance.  It also assumes that they have a build environment, which I do not.

It's hard to attract new users with a high end device to this firmware when they can also run ipFire or pfSense and have this feature built in.  It's a lot of work just to be able to test OpenWRT.  While ultimately they may want to build their own, these devices generally have a lot of space to install packages and image size is not an issue.

Who said it's disabled? tongue

Don't rely on old forum posts and outdated wiki entries, you have the complete source available to you. The config is in target/linux/<arch>. x86 is SMP enabled.

I am sorry, but I do not think I am following you .
If I go here:  https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/x86/64/
and look at what is in the config file there are a few lines related to SMP.

# CONFIG_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TOP_SMP_CPU is not set
# CONFIG_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TOP_SMP_PROCESS is not set

Is this what you are referring to?

If I need to establish a build system to find this in the config, then I think that there is a "Marketing" problem.  This is a feature that some one who is evaluating the product should be able to find on a "Features Page", at worst a Wiki Article.  The links I cited are the best info available on the site, and IS relied upon.  Yapoo's post is from January of this year, and never replied to. 

I realize that the developers are busy, but there is some information that should be maintained on the home page, like a "Features" section/page and "News Section", including any updated wireless driver or newly supported device.  It should be updated continuously.  I just looked at the list of Wanted Hardware Donations.  It's 13 months old. 

I do not know what I do not know, and finding what I do not know is hard for the average Joe.

It seems that the x86_64 version is SMP enabled, but x86 is not enabled.

RangerZ wrote:

I am sorry, but I do not think I am following you .
If I go here:  https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/x86/64/
and look at what is in the config file there are a few lines related to SMP.

# CONFIG_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TOP_SMP_CPU is not set
# CONFIG_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TOP_SMP_PROCESS is not set

Is this what you are referring to?

If I need to establish a build system to find this in the config, then I think that there is a "Marketing" problem.  This is a feature that some one who is evaluating the product should be able to find on a "Features Page", at worst a Wiki Article.  The links I cited are the best info available on the site, and IS relied upon.  Yapoo's post is from January of this year, and never replied to. 

I realize that the developers are busy, but there is some information that should be maintained on the home page, like a "Features" section/page and "News Section", including any updated wireless driver or newly supported device.  It should be updated continuously.  I just looked at the list of Wanted Hardware Donations.  It's 13 months old. 

I do not know what I do not know, and finding what I do not know is hard for the average Joe.

For some reason I thought the CPU was dual core, but it is only single core, and thus it appears is set correctly.

Thanks for the followup!

The discussion might have continued from here.