OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Advice from experts, what program?

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi there, i apologize if this is in the wrong section. Im very new to networking setup, and while iv had experience with website design coding iv found this is a whole different kettle of fish to understand. Im hoping for advice or suggestions to assist me with my goal.

My goal is to setup my Linksys Router (WRT1900ac) with website logging for each individual device on my router, but i assume running an IP connection through another program may result in slight slower streaming, aswell as logging of irrelevant data would take space,  i would like to have it set up so that the devices which are used for streaming and gaming only - and do not have access to internet browsers - (our 3 PS4 consoles) are able to Bypass the monitoring system, while all other computers, laptops, tablets and phones connected to our router are directed through a monitoring/logging  system

So far regarding monitoring the standard software which comes with the linksys router has been nothing but disappointing. One can only Block certain websites, and i believe their is a maximum, and trying to block all inappropriate addresses using only 10 slots is impossible and completely pointless.

So following advise on various threads and forums i have installed openWRT on my router. I thought once installing openWRT on the router the settings and options would be all there for me to set-up, and now i see i am wrong and need to configure alot of options and possibly add additional packages to have openWRT do as i require.

So first of all, i believe i will have to create two pathways in which devices can reach the internet - One will include the devices i dont need monitored, and the other will have the devices i do wished to be monitored. However i am a little confused as the router has a 5gz connection and a 2.4g connection, will each device that has the ability to connect with 5gz AND 2.4g require two Fixed Ip addresses?

Do i create the two seperate pathways to the internet using routes?

If anyone can advise me on what i will need to install and configure to obtain my goal i would be most appreciative, even links to tutorials, programs etc is always helpful.
Thank you for reading,
Steph

Google tells me that PS4s come with A Webbrowser. So excluding these will probably not work. Also you could configure a computer to use a PS4s MAC and IP address, so what ever you do you should most likely not exclude any device. Either your monitoring is 'universal' or not worth the hassle wink
I have no input about the actual monitoring, except asking what is the real goal you want to achieve?

Best Regards
        M.

The discussion might have continued from here.