OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Gl.iNet 6416A (comes with OpenWRT Barrier Braker pre-installed)

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Nov 2017 and 25 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I ordered the new GL-AR150 from ebay and it only took 10 days to be delivered in the UK.
http://stores.ebay.com/1-GL-iNet?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

There are now other sellers on ebay that are cheaper, and on aliexpress, but I believe that store is the manufacturer judging by the name.

Looks like you might be able to get them here: https://www.gl-inet.nl/

(Last edited by Magnetz on 26 Sep 2015, 11:02)

Thank you for the info.
I've got bad experience with buying things from Aliexpress (bad copies/clones), and as I will be in the UK soon, and might order some there.

I'll be needing it in combination with a 3/4G connection.
I see that they do sell a 4G LTE to Wi-Fi solution with USB unit (GL-MiFi)
Will this do the job, or will it better to use an external USB 3/4G stick?

Also.. Nothing mentioned about radio(s) (wifi). How many does it have? Two would be ideally for me.

(Last edited by N0EL on 26 Sep 2015, 13:24)

The ebay store I linked dispatched direct from china, I'm not aware of any UK stockists.

The AR150 only has 1 radio AFAIK.

I have a huawei e8278 "wingle" that operates in lots of different modes and supports most if not all LTE bands. It even runs as a mifi via power from usb-otg from my tablet.

I've not tried it on the AR150 yet but it works fine on my wdr3600 running openwrt so should work fine.

(Last edited by Magnetz on 26 Sep 2015, 21:11)

Thanks for the update. I've ordered two (just the PCB board version).
For the "2nd" radio part I will be using an Alfa R36 (with Tube).
The 3G (a Huawei somethin) does work fine with my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running OpenWRT.
I guess this will also work fine with the GL.iNet AR150

Will do.

Hi N0EL.

I could sell you one. Or the new AR150 with antenna?   But I have to charge you a post.nl maffia shipping price.

AR150 is the same hardware, it has an extra LED, more internal headers and an external antenna.
Please let me know where I can reach you if you are interested.

EDIT:  I just noticed that you already ordered them.  :-)

(Last edited by frietpan on 28 Sep 2015, 22:01)

I might still be interested in the antenna version :-)
Not sure if this forum has a PM option (I can not find it, but this might be because of my low post count)

Please email me at resize apenstaartje gmail puntje com

I tested my AR150 on a usb meter and it uses:
0.10A - 0.16A when booting
0.09A when idle
0.25-0.27A peak using wifi

Magnetz wrote:

tested my AR150 on a usb meter

Never heard of this, but just googled it.  Very Cool!
Between the power source and the device I assume.
Where/what do you have?  How much?

By any chance do you know it they make these for use with standard DC barrel jacks or AC in line?

RangerZ wrote:

By any chance do you know it they make these for use with standard DC barrel jacks or AC in line?

http://www.amazon.com/Ensupra-Electrici … B007KX2YXQ
Some even allow you to enter the price per kw/h and calculate what it will cost per day week etc.

DC barrel jacks might be a bit of a headache since there are so many types, and some even have reverse polarisation.

Yes that should do the trick, just make sure to ALWAYS check the polarity on the wall warts... 

Usually center is + and sleeve is -  But the occasional exception will send you smoke signals when you forget to check this :-)

Has anyone else had issues with tethering?

I connect my iPhone, go to Settings in web page, and select “Tethering” tab. But I cannot see my iPhone. iPhone is connected, and “hot spot” feature enabled. What is the problem?

otorskchy002, might you like to try this Theme on your 6416 and then check if it performs on your iPhone. 
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=59696
https://github.com/LuttyYang/luci-theme … l/releases
https://github.com/LuttyYang/luci-theme … l/issues/8
So far I am the only cell phone complainer.

Install is relatively easy.

WinSCP the file to the router
Upload the file to \etc
SSH to the router
CD /etc
opkg install ./luci-theme-material*.ipk
Change the theme
Refresh the page.

The gui should look good on a phone, but I am having performance issues with it on my old iPhone 4.

the 6416 has 2 x the brains as my TooToo 8/32 vs 16/64.  Not sure if it's the router or the phone.  Which iPhone?

Sorry, never tried to tether my phone.

a iPhone screenshot would be nice, just to get an idea of the look and feel

RangerZ wrote:

otorskchy002, might you like to try this Theme on your 6416 and then check if it performs on your iPhone. 
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=59696
... stuff snipped...
the 6416 has 2 x the brains as my TooToo 8/32 vs 16/64.  Not sure if it's the router or the phone.  Which iPhone?

It's an iPhone 6. The tethering feature works fine with my Macbook - it's easy. I had expected the same with the router, but that may not be the case. I posted this question on the gl.inet website, and the initial reply is that iPhone has not been tested.

But back to your suggestions: Are you suggesting that installation of this software may be a cure? I get the idea that luci is just a gui "skin" or something... I may not have been clear, but the issue is that in the web gui, there is a drop-down to select the phone, but the drop down is blank - even when my phone is connected.

I'd upload iPhone & router screen shots, but this forum doesn't seem to support that (?)

(Last edited by otorskchy002 on 6 Oct 2015, 19:05)

Two separate issues. 

I initially misunderstood the tethering part.  Can not help you.

I was suggesting because you had an iPhone and are trying to use a webGui with OpenWRT that the new Material theme is much better designed to run on the small screen.  That said, I am having some performance issues on my iPhone 4 and thought you could kill 2 birds with one stone.

RangerZ wrote:

Two separate issues. 

I initially misunderstood the tethering part.  Can not help you.

Thanks for trying... Hopeful I'll hear something from alzhao @ gl.inet soon. I'll post here to close out this question when I do

A couple of questions:

1. This (6416) router is said to use the Atheros AR9331 processor.  Any general thoughts on this processor? By that I mean is it fairly robust, or is it down on the list in terms of processing power?

2. When I ssh to the box, I don't get a 'normal' command line. I get something called ash and busybox... wtfo?

3. And finally, when I try to install wget from the webgui, I get this:

Package wget (1.15-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring wget.

Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "wget" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: wget.postinst returned 255.

That doesn't smell like success... any thoughts on where I screwed up?

(Last edited by otorskchy002 on 7 Oct 2015, 23:12)

1 - See the table of hardware http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all scroll to CPU
Basically its a 400mhz cpu.  With out getting into some of the high end stuff its about mid range in CPU, there are some others in the 580 range.  ROM/RAM it's better than most with 16/64.  My HooToo is 8/32 and I am hitting the wall with it.  You will currently not get more than this in any other small router, but there is another gl.inet in the near future that will have the 580 cpu with 16/128.  See the catalog http://www.gl-inet.com/download/product … 150930.pdf

About 25% of the CPUs are Atheros or Broadcom, about 15% are Rampis (Ralink/Mediatek).  I am under the impression that Atheros are better supported, but not the best qualified to answer that.

2 - If the first line looks like this
BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-06-03 02:12:23 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
followed by a cocktail recipe you are in the right place.

3. Does not smell like success, and do not know

otorskchy002 wrote:

A couple of questions:

1. This (6416) router is said to use the Atheros AR9331 processor.  Any general thoughts on this processor? By that I mean is it fairly robust, or is it down on the list in terms of processing power?

2. When I ssh to the box, I don't get a 'normal' command line. I get something called ash and busybox... wtfo?

3. And finally, when I try to install wget from the webgui, I get this:

Package wget (1.15-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring wget.

Collected errors:
* pkg_run_script: package "wget" postinst script returned status 255.
* opkg_configure: wget.postinst returned 255.

That doesn't smell like success... any thoughts on where I screwed up?

For many use cases, the amount of computational power comes up when trying to run OpenVPN (encrypting/decrypting every packet).  As such, I tend to use the openssl benchmarks created for OpenWRT

http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/benchmark.openssl

The reports from the 6416 and hootoo (two similarly sized/priced travel routers) were done by yours truly.  In rough numbers, the 6414 is about 2x the ancient (but still widely used) WRT54G, but only 10-20% as powerful as the top-of-the-line, multi-hundred dollar current offerings.

You should, however ask how much router do you want.  Higher computational power requires more electrical energy, and sacrifices portability (not to mention more money).  The next GL-iNET portable router will have higher specs for not much more cost, but isn't available yet.  You can read through this thread (and the hootoo thread) to see what people are able to do with these small, cheap devices.  Or you can post what you plan to do with it, and we can try to help.

As for your 3rd question, is your OpenWRT device connected to the internet?

RangerZ wrote:

3. Does not smell like success, and do not know

Thanks for the clues on busybox and performance. Any ideas where I might go to get help on the error?

Disappointing as this is just straightforward use of the Advanced Settings portion of the GUI - which I understood to be 'standard' OpenWRT stuff...

klaberte wrote:

As for your 3rd question, is your OpenWRT device connected to the internet?

Yes - in fact I'm using it as the access point for my Mac as I type this reply.

Workarounds until this gets resolved: I was going to use wget to d/l a 3rd party package... is there a way for me to upload the file to the router from my Mac?

Hmmm... there is a wget-nossl package that says it has no SSL support. Is that the one I need?

(Last edited by otorskchy002 on 8 Oct 2015, 00:07)

Sorry, posts 126 to 125 are missing from our archive.