OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [MT7621A]WiTi Board is coming. Do you want to hack it?

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

obsy wrote:

Version 512MB will be available?

After September.

Hi, a quick question - how does the firmware on github differ from an official Openwrt one? Do you use some proprietary drivers or something like that?

t3hn00b wrote:

Hi, a quick question - how does the firmware on github differ from an official Openwrt one? Do you use some proprietary drivers or something like that?

Nothing!
We also develop our firmware on github. And we will update any patch of WiTi Board to github.
As possible as we can, we offer whole source code.
Next step, we plan to upstream it into Openwrt. If you can, you also can try it.

(Last edited by sugar on 20 Aug 2015, 14:47)

Your project looks very promising. I hope it becomes a great success smile

But I just see one issue there:

The MT7621A has an internal 5 port GE switch.
Where are you getting your sixth ethernet port from?

Also imagine if you are the user and want to create two different subnets and you want to transfer data from one subnet to the other, the bandwidth should be only half a gbit if I'm not mistaken.

So it's a shared interface..

Okay that's at least an explanation.
thx pepe

(Last edited by audiocore on 20 Aug 2015, 16:09)

audiocore wrote:

Your project looks very promising. I hope it becomes a great success smile

But I just see one issue there:

The MT7621A has an internal 5 port GE switch.
Where are you getting your sixth ethernet port from?

Also imagine if you are the user and want to create two different subnets and you want to transfer data from one subnet to the other, the bandwidth should be only half a gbit if I'm not mistaken.

There are two RGMII interfaces RGMII1 & RGMII2, both of them link to GE switch default.
But RGMII2 can be configured to external, so,  it is changed into sixth port.
Those functions can be selected by kernel_menuconfig.

thx sugar for clarifying

A really nice device to hack, amazing project!

i hope someone will design a nicer case - to look like a router  - not a geek's board smile

maurer wrote:

i hope someone will design a nicer case - to look like a router  - not a geek's board smile

Do you have any suggestion? Reduce some interfaces, such as sata?

yes, reducing the sata seems a good idea - i won't be using it.

I like the board, too, but not the price. As I have an app, based on openwrt, which could benefit from faster CPU and more RAM, compared to standard  MT7620A-boards. Price difference to WiTi is too high, though.
As Iam also using pcengines-APUs for special purposes, I can compare:
APU has the vast benefit of SIM-card slot for me, and mPCIe for LTE modems/integrated SSD.
So, WiTi will not be an alternative for me.

Summary:
- I would buy a miniWiTi (no SATA, only 2 eth, no USB, no RTC, no serial), no microSD, but (much) larger flash, may be, on a socket.  Must be much cheaper than actual WiTi, and smaller.
- I would also buy a maxiWiTi, incl. SIM-card slot, mPCIe
  Must be cheaper than APU.

I d like to see a SIMcard + antenna slot too, even two sim card slots (mwan), so that it can be LTE modem. I am not quite sure if that is possible. besides that I really like 2xSATA so that I can create reliable NAS from it.

augustus_meyer wrote:

I like the board, too, but not the price. As I have an app, based on openwrt, which could benefit from faster CPU and more RAM, compared to standard  MT7620A-boards. Price difference to WiTi is too high, though.
APU has the vast benefit of SIM-card slot for me, and mPCIe for LTE modems/integrated SSD.

Summary:
- I would buy a miniWiTi (no SATA, only 2 eth, no USB, no RTC, no serial), no microSD, but (much) larger flash, may be, on a socket.  Must be much cheaper than actual WiTi, and smaller.

miniWiTi is a good idea, and it has 512MB ram.
We will consider adding them to next version, but it would reduce some functions.

I think we need to launch one basic board, and with some kinds of multi function expansion boards. wink
So anyone can buy one basic board + expansion board depend on their requirements. lol

mucha wrote:

I d like to see a SIMcard + antenna slot too, even two sim card slots (mwan), so that it can be LTE modem. I am not quite sure if that is possible. besides that I really like 2xSATA so that I can create reliable NAS from it.

Ahhh..., need to reduce one wirelsse chip, and add one mPCIe slot.
Or we add two mPCIe slots, 2.4GHz/5GHz-mPICe can be optioned.

How many lan port you need, if there is NAS product?

leo liu wrote:

A really nice device to hack, amazing project!

smile

sugar wrote:

1LAN + 1 WAN should be good enough.
One mPCIe+SIM-slot would allow a lot of expansion flexibility. Remove one wireless chip for this.

>So anyone can buy one basic board + expansion board depend on their requirements.<
This would be best.

Flash on a socket, for simple expansion.

Sugar you need a nice casing
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/13-07-08/Amped_Wireless_RTA15_02.jpg
Since your ethernet ports are in front so you can go for either
1) A Standing Router Look
https://smhttp-ssl-23575.nexcesscdn.net/80ABE1/sflashrouters/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/asus-rt-ac56u-back.jpg
Or go for Miniature Rack Server look
2)http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v13/457931753/PC_Router_1U_Rackmount_Server_FR9100_.jpg
Also good to post some benchmark on with HW NAT and no HW NAT.
I am considering buying but I don't want to risk experience the incomplete board feeling where it looks good on paper but lackluster delivery.

Any information on WIFI throughput speeds for 802.11ac? Of all the MT7621A boards I've only seen lackluster throughput numbers and mediocre wireless range (e.g. Linksys RE6500, DIR-860L rev B1).

What's the throughput using SAMBA and SATA/USB3? I would imagine the CPU would be a huge limiting factor for this board to be a viable NAS.

Also, why no side picture of the ports?

yoyellow wrote:

so what will the price be once released and does it have all the drivers openwrt ready (or semi ready)  cus as said before; i kinda forsee a firewrt fiasco again...

have to say, it looks promising thou, alot of connectivity and enough juice to make this a very nice router/nas/home-automator

The firewrt looks pretty cool. What fiasco and what ever happened to it?

sugar wrote:

Or we add two mPCIe slots, 2.4GHz/5GHz-mPICe can be optioned.

To be honest, I am fine with 4LAN 1WAN.

OT, but might be useful info: What would be my best go if I would like my system based on this board be able to run 24/7 with the possibility to read battery stats? Maybe you know most fitting solution.
There s a belkin battery backup power supply being sold in the US, output 12V, but input 110V, it looks nice but I cant read battery data out of it and besides, I need 240V input. To make it clear, it should switch the source to make sure there is seamless power supply of 12V and charge the batt.
I havent found any elegant solution, so maybe there is a space in this project to come up with something?
Maybe not. :-D Anyway that is how my NAS would work. Stream movies during storms, solid. I want to use it on a cottage, where this happens a lot.

(Last edited by mucha on 24 Aug 2015, 22:53)

mucha wrote:

What would be my best go if I would like my system based on this board be able to run 24/7

Any UPS should do the trick, to automatically switch from AC to DC, in case of power loss. And charge the battery, in case of AC available.
Will also power the LCD-display in case of storm :-)

augustus_meyer wrote:

Summary:

Take a look at: https://lite.turris.cz/en/

Why did they change to ARM?
Freescale is awesome...