OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cannot connect to internet over guest network

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have just set up Guest network on my dual band router (TPLInk wdr 3600)
Although I can connect to this network easily, with my laptop showing the correct IP set up in the router, I cannot connect to the internet. I have verified this issue with different devices.......
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong???

The key settings in Luci (I guess) are these below

NETWORK > INTERFACES
the actual SSID - openwrt_guest - is present

NETWORK > INTERFACES > WiFI
the SSID is present in radio0 (2.4ghz), but not in radio1 (5ghz) - does it need to be in both

NETWORK > INTERFAECS > EDIT > GENERAL SETUP
protocol = static address,
IPV4 address = 192.168.3.1
DHCP Server ignore interface box unchecked

NETWORK > INTERFAECS > EDIT > PHYSICAL SETUP
bridge interfaces (Creates a bridge over specified interfaces = unchecked
(but checking it seems to make no difference)

NETWORK > INTERFACES > EDIT > FIREWALL SETTINGS
guest radio button is checked

NETWORK > FIREWALL
Guest values = input - accept, output - accept, forward - reject

NETWORK > FIREWALL > TRAFFIC RULES
guest DNS - Any TCP, UDP - From any host in guest - To any router IP at port 53 on this device     Accept input
guest DHCP - Any UDP     - From any host in guest - To any router IP at ports 67-68 on this device Accept input

What forwarding rules do you have?

eduperez wrote:

What forwarding rules do you have?

Hi there - many apologies for late reply (I was ill and then managed to go on holiday)

In Network > Firewall the forwardings are configured as follows

LAN > WAN         Accept, accept, Reject
WAN > reject       reject,. accept, reject
Guest > WAN     reject, accept, reject

Is this the info you were asking for?

davidc502 wrote:

The issue is probably with the subnet, and having a route to the outside IP.

Have you looked at the Luci recipe?  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/gue … binterface

Hi there - many apologies for such a late reply - I was ill (and then managed to get away on holiday)

Yep - I followed the instructions in that recipe...I think it something to do with IP, I don;t think any client device seems to be able to acquire an IP from the router (and I've tested it with DHCP as well as static). I set up the traffic rules as per the recipe but still no joy....

guest DNS
Any TCP, UDP > From any host in guest > To any router IP at port 53 on this device.       
Accept input

guest DHCP
Any UDP >  From any host in guest > To any router IP at ports 67-68 on this device   
Accept input

It appears this situation might be where the documentation is stale and needs to be updated.

Maybe someone who has this successfully set up can verify.

Hi,

Did anyone manage to get this to work?

I also tried on the  TPLInk wdr 3600 but cant get it to work.

I followed all the steps as in the guide.
Also, at some points when activating the guest-AP, the regular AP associated with that radio also stops functioning ( even when both interfaces are in complete different zones).

Thanks for any updates/guides/success stories,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Im having the exact same issue setting up an AP. I followed the guide with LUCI and tried to setup a guest network.  I get ip's from the guest network's DHCP but no internet. can anyone help with why the advised DNS and DHCP traffic rules created dont give internet to devices?
Ive seen many discussions on here with users having the same issue on different devices.

Please can someone help with this issue?

The discussion might have continued from here.