OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Sniff WiFi send log to server

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi there,

I am using an TL-MR3020 and installed OpenWrt - and read about Kismet, which I think is best fit for what I want to test:
- capture all Wifi network probes coming from all our wireless devices on 2.4Ghz channels
- log all networkprobes on our server in the LAN

My question, is Kismet best fit, or are there better options out there?

And fot Kismet, setup will be like:
Kismet Drone on Mr3020
Kistmer Server on our server in LAN
Kismet client on my pc

Correct?

Thanks in advance.

christiaanvr wrote:

- capture all Wifi network probes coming from all our wireless devices on 2.4Ghz channels
- log all networkprobes on our server in the LAN

are there better options out there?

I did a WiFi-MAC-sniffer on openwrt, running on dedicated HW, as a commercial project.

@augustus_meyer interesting. How did you send out the data captured directly to make it available via e.g. a webservice? I am using a MR3020 which could have enough capacit for bith sniff and making data available..

Just use remote logging.
BTW: I did it also on an MR3020 as a target. Interesting :-)
However, there are no-name clones from China, which have 2 eths. Much easier to use for development.

(Last edited by augustus_meyer on 9 Sep 2015, 07:51)

Remote logging, to log all the sniffed proberequests istead of 'debug' sytstem logging? Did you use Rsyslog?

And about the MR3020, I think it may lack Flash RAM - do you remember the Chinese replica name/brand and their specs?

Any more information you can share or help with me about this porject?

@augustus_meyer

can you tell me how we are able to post the sniff data to a webserver?
What type of module did u use, and or hows the script?

Can you share some information, even paid?

The discussion might have continued from here.